brake caliper recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been running Centric remans (entire brake assemblies plus brake lines) for 4 or 5 years now, never a problem. They do the actual remans, which others then pawn off as their own--that was the case at the time, anyway. To my knowledge, they do the best aftermarket remans. Dunno whether they are Toyota's reman supplier. @OGBeno, @cruiserdan?

C'mon man, he qualified it with an if. Also your experience is a sample size of one and statistically irrelevant. I recall Onur posting about his disappointment with the quality of Toyota remans at the time and I guarantee that was based on a much larger sample size. Not "misinformation" at all and not gospel either, just the opinion of a well respected part guru.

Nothing wrong with reman..
Here is a search showing everytime our beloved Beno has mentioned reman calipers. Nowhere through the years does he mention disappointment with reman.

I just conducted the caliper issue on my 94 and a well-known Land Cruiser shop in CO unconditionally recommended OEM remanufactured to replace.

I will say that we've had quality issues with a recent batch of 80 series front calipers where the piston height was incorrect not allowing a new pad and disc to fit in. They seem to have ironed this issue out though. We are checking them all as they come in with a rotor and a pad set.

Obviously we have no issues with warrantying these parts as long as you return them in OEM packaging (always good to save your part packaging.

Remans are no longer japanese made. ADVICS is doing the remans out of someplace in the upper Midwest....Michigan, IIRC.

Not taking any more time on this than the 90 seconds it took me to find this even though I don't know if this is even the source of my memory. Onur has over 30k posts on here and key word searches are only going to get you so far. I certainly could be mis-remembering but I doubt it would have stuck with me had it not come from Onur or Dan or one of the old gray beards of mud.

The quick search I did looked like reman Toyota were about $80 and new oem were about $250. A big difference but not the end of the world if the remans are mediocre quality. $250 each is a lot but not compaired to some of the parts I buy if that makes sense.

I hope that makes sense. I would rather not spend $500 on just the new front calipers but compared to alot of jobs I do on the truck it is not that big of a deal. But if the Toyota rebuilds are GTG it would save a bunch.
I can’t remember the exact amounts but I paid about $150 per corner for brand new OEM. I don’t remember it being much more than that. Wholesale Toyota

Thanks for all the good info guys. I just remembered some mixed findings and could not recall if it was with the oem or NAPA remanufactured calipers. Obviously anything can be out spec once in a while, even new oem Toyota is not infallible.

I will probably order things in a month or so and continue to read up on it. My intention was never to spread any "misinformation" about to Toyota remanufactured calipers and their quality. It was simply to ask if they were still GTG or if there quality was questionable. If they were rebuilt by Toyota I would not have any concerns. But we know even new Toyota parts come from vendors such as Aisin. So I guess it depends on who is doing the remanufacturing for them. Obviously some companies do a better job than others and I would think Toyota would choose a competent company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom