Brake Caliper Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pat

Threads
I'm doing a brake job on a 92 Landcruiser, replacing the rotors and bearings while I'm at it. I noticed that the rubber grommets around 2 of the brake caliper pistons are worn and pieces of the rubber are missing. How do I replace these? Any suggestions? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Pat...

You can purchase a caliper rebuild kit. If you know where to purchase, it's ~$30. It includes the rubber boots, plus the piston seals, and a few other misc items. There are some writeups on how to do this. It's not too hard. Two banana max.

pat said:
I'm doing a brake job on a 92 Landcruiser, replacing the rotors and bearings while I'm at it. I noticed that the rubber grommets around 2 of the brake caliper pistons are worn and pieces of the rubber are missing. How do I replace these? Any suggestions? Thanks for any help you can provide.
Pat...

If you've never rebuilt a caliper, you will likely need to use compressed air to blow the piston out of the caliper so that you can properly clean it. This involves putting a 1" thick piece of wood in the pad area and then applying air to the fluid nipple and driving the pistons out. Don't get your fingers in there, and expect them to come out with great force. Then you clean and reassemble with proper lube and the new rubber pieces etc. Tedious but straightforward.

FWIW, I found rebuilt Toyota cores at O'Reilly Auto parts (same exact casting numbers as my take-offs) and they were $52 each, and included all the new parts...sealed in Toyota bags. I painted them with caliper paint to keep them from ever rusting. Much easier and well worth it IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom