Brake caliper piston data (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Maybe someone here can help, because I'm having a real hard tome finding this info. I'm in search of smaller pistons for my brake calipers to get the brakes I actually want. For now, half ass front brakes and kick ass rear brakes without any pedal feel isn't cutting it. So, where can I find data on the changes made for toyota 4x4 truck front calipers, from 1986-1998. Mainly, I'm looking for piston diameter, or at the least, a bigger or smaller answer. All I have to compare are a pair of 1996t100 and 1993 4 runner calipers, which run the same pistons with similar cast bodies. Did the pistons just keep getting larger with newer models?

I don't have the hard numbers, but you want to run the V6 calipers, that have BIGGER pistons. And it sounds to me like your prop valve needs to be adjusted.

Something's messed up in your setup..

You definitely do not want smaller pistons up front. Even if you did, the smallest you can get are the 4-cyl IFS calipers, which have two large, two small pistons.

Why are you running two prop valves out back? And what does your rear brake setup look like? Did you convert to disks? Are you running a residual valve?

Ran 2 proportioning valves because I had them. Initially all I had was a stock one, no worka so good, so I bought a willwood and installed it. Since then, I removed the semi stock one and just left the willwood because it didn't make any difference in braking. This was a conversion on a 55 , I was asking on this board hoping for a little knowledge since most of the parts are from the toy pickups. The rears are currently monte carlos. When I had stock drums in the rear, the pedal feeling and lockup wasn't any different. There are not any residual valves installed. I just assumed that the fzj80 master cylinder kept the 2lb residual pressure on the lines. Is this my problemo? The pads already seem to stay butt against the rotors, front and rear. I also have a mc off a 93 v6 4runner that I tried, also, no difference.

Why was I looking at smaller piston? It seems like the bulk of the problem is not enough fluid pushing the fronts(currently have the giant v6 calipers). Smaller pistons will be forced a little harder, creating a better balance with a larger rotor. Larger is not always better for a caliper and often result in imbalance of modified systems when people try to find the biggest caliper possible.

I've replaced hard lines, so blockage isn't an issue. I've also replaced soft lines, so bulging or collapsed lines are also not an issue. With each of these, it was tested before and after. Also have bled the living bejezus out of the brakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom