Brake caliper overhaul (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Recently I had one of the front brake calipers overhauled and the rotor machined. As present I haven't had a chance to have the other rotor machined due to being busy but ever since when braking I get a slight pull as the brakes contact. I am hoping when the other rotor is machined this pull will be fixed. The left front caliper was oveerhauled because of heat damage to the seals from a siezed wheel bearing. Should the calipers be overhauled both together? I am hoping that the pull is because the other rotor has not been machined yet

More info please.

Does it pull to the side that was rebuilt or the other side? Machining your rotors will not affect it pulling to one side or another. It would only remove the pulsing affect from a warped rotor. Which brings us to another topic...

I have never had a machined rotor stay unwarped for very long after machining. Theses 80's are tanks and love to warp rotors. The other thing is if your rotor has warped it is warped all the way through and you are only going to be making it thinner in certain out of round areas to mask the affect of the warp therefore making it thinner and even more prone to warp sooner and at a higher deflection. Best bet with that is to pick up some new OEM rotors from Cruiserdan. You can find him at American Toyota here on one of the banner ads. Only way to go.
There is a real difference between OEM parts and aftermarket when it comes to stuff like this. I've had belts and bearings that were not OEM last under a year. Compare that with OEM parts that have lasted me hundreds of thousands of miles. Not kidding.

Good luck.

Sorry about the delay in returning a reply but I had to go to bed and to work while you guys were busy on here.

Tooyh fairy,
The pull is to the side that has not been worked on. There had been no pulsing before the machining job which was done to remove the grooves in the rotor.

My concern was that the pull was due to either different thickness rotors or new versus old seals and rubbers in the calipers. any way getting the other rotor machined his week hope that will fix the problem

A REAL simple thing check would be tire pressure. When my front end starts pulling during braking it's usually the tire pressure and not the brakes.

Toothfairy, you may have just solved my brake problem before I have to even look into it. I had my rotors turned about 3 months ago, and lately they having been feeling bad, I bet they are warped again... I would have never thought that. I bet it's time fore new OEM ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom