brake booster (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i searched but im still not sure if i can use an 80's 2wd brake booster as a replacement on my 71fj40. i heard that a "mini truck" boster will bolt right up, haha but i dont know if mini trucks include the 2wd trucks or not. go ahead and laugh. :eek: it think itl work but i just want to make sure before i go pick one up(for free :D ) thanks!!

Hi All:

Do you have that 2wd mini-truck brake booster close by? Measure the diameter and depth of it and let me know; I'll comapre it against the 4wd 'booster I have.

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

I'm pretty sure that both 2wd and 4wd minitrucks use the same booster year by year.

I'm not totally sure about it but also can't think of a reason that they'd be different.

bought mine off ebay and it was supposed to be from a 2wd mini. not long after i got it in it quit working. i took it to the parts store and a remanufactured one was considerably cheaper than the landcruiser booster. i think i paid like 50 bucks for it.

Hey coolerman where did you get that vac booster tester thingy. I'm replacing my single cylinder master, with a dual master and booster. But they are seperated and I was wondering how you could check to see if the booster was in good shape.

If you want the stock cruiser brake booster for a decent price check out pep boys I belive after my core charge I paid 71 bucks for a brand new one. Just my 2 cents

hey, cruisintiger, i got one of those from autozone for 20 or 30 bucks. i believe it's the exact same thing. you can also blead your brakes with it. makes it a one man job. pretty cool, but kinda cheaply made.

CruisinTiger said:
Hey coolerman where did you get that vac booster tester thingy. I'm replacing my single cylinder master, with a dual master and booster. But they are seperated and I was wondering how you could check to see if the booster was in good shape.

It's a Mity-Vac vacuum pump/pressure pump. Comes with all kinds of neat adaptors to test any vacuum operated device (like your distributor diaphram or brake booster) plus with some additional accessories you can bleed brakes by either pushing the fluid through the bleeders and out the master or pulling it through the bleeder from the master. You can also test engine vacuum with it. Great for diagnosing leaks.

To test the booster just hook the vacuum pump to the booster and pump till it reads about 15-20 in mg (normal F-2F engine vacuum). Then let it sit. If the vacuum leaks off check your lines and if they are making a good seal then the booster diaphram is bad. If it does not then the booster diaphram is good. The next test would be to pull the vacuum again and press the push rod to see if the booster mechanism works.

As I recall, the FSM goes into dissasymbly of the stock booster and replacement of the associated parts. Toyota probably still sells the parts. If not you can probably find them at SOR.

The difference between the 4wd and 2wd are the stud lengths and firewall side pushrod lengths. Both work, one uses a spacer. From around 1984 and on most of the 4wd's got the ones without the spacer from there on. I have a 2wd one on my 74 fj40, and a 4wd one on my 55 to clear the accelerator cable. The 2wd one looks nice tucked tightly against the firewall and was 100% bolt on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom