Brake booster wont clear past the holes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought this from napa and it wont go all the way in the four holes. I can see the threat coming out from the cabin but will not go all the way. Any idea what’s stopping it? Napa ones does not fit good perhaps?

14D595FC-E266-42C2-A643-B751D96E0410.jpeg

There is a plate on the inside that isn't lined up. Check out this thread from a couple weeks ago.

Last edited:
Seems like this would be a 2 man job. Videos i’ve seen it bolted right up. This one is tough.

Bought this from napa and it wont go all the way in the four holes. I can see the threat coming out from the cabin but will not go all the way. Any idea what’s stopping it? Napa ones does not fit good perhaps?

View attachment 3011419
Did the exact job 10 days ago, NAPA booster too.
I used a pry bar to give it a friendly nudge.
But, it's tight, that's fer sure.

Did the exact job 10 days ago, NAPA booster too.
I used a pry bar to give it a friendly nudge.
But, it's tight, that's fer sure.
Did u have to line up the brake bracket from inside the cabin? Damn this one is tough. That rubber grommet is all ripped apart already.

Stick a bolt or something in from the inside to line it all up and push that out with the booster bolts. Or put a little pressure on the booster then go inside and move the peddel bracket to release the tension.

Stick a bolt or something in from the inside to line it all up and push that out with the booster bolts. Or put a little pressure on the booster then go inside and move the peddel bracket to release the tension.
Bolts are lined up. All 4. Its being held up somewhere. The center bore maybe? I cant see anything holding it up.

can you grab it from the inside and move it around while pulling? make sure the clevis isn't caught on your peddle. Also are you able to post some pictures so we can see what you are working with? picture from the side on the outside and some on the inside showing the bolts coming in straight on and from the side.

can you grab it from the inside and move it around while pulling? make sure the clevis isn't caught on your peddle. Also are you able to post some pictures so we can see what you are working with? picture from the side on the outside and some on the inside showing the bolts coming in straight on and from the side.
Hard to take photos from the cabin but i do sew the bolts peeking through. I also notice the clevis bore seem to have more space on the top and really close to the bottom. Could that be catching? We tried the spin the booster upside down and it went in more but still not all the way.

Hard to take photos from the cabin but i do sew the bolts peeking through. I also notice the clevis bore seem to have more space on the top and really close to the bottom. Could that be catching? We tried the spin the booster upside down and it went in more but still not all the way.

1D589260-672E-4909-A704-A9A5BFA4F7D0.jpeg

78FBC43A-6850-489A-8711-972FCBE4D085.jpeg

3E71F556-CAD3-48F9-B0EF-1D2C43DCDE0E.jpeg

OK first I don't see the vacuum valve at 2 oclock. suggesting you don't have the booster clocked right. the second thing is you have 2 of the 4 bolts lined up internally so also making me think you don't have it clocked properly.
If it is clocked properly, then the top portion is very close to as far as it should be going, maybe half inch more to go. And you might be right about the center section being offset and running low, not allowing the lower portion to go in like it should.
did you look at the other thread that was suggested by others and the pictures there?

Comparing your first picture in the thread with the last ones you posted... first picture you have it clocked correctly. the other pictures you most recently posted are not clocked correctly. Also did you compare the old booster bolts with the new one to make sure they were not bent in shipping?

Well. I hope this is okay. I clocked the booster upside down. Check valve now on bottom left. Shortened the vacuum hose. Stops really good now. I hope its okay to clock it upside down. Right side up will not clear the bolts but it cleared now. Very weird. Napa part. Maybe original Toyota is a better fit? Who knows. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Well.. how good are your motor mounts? If you get on it will the engine pull the vacuum line off and you no longer have a booster again? The shape and length of the original design i believe is in place to allow movement between the engine and the fixed brake booster on the firewall. I could be completely wrong though so let someone chime in and put my "knowledge" in it's place.

When I was stationed in a (un-named) foreign country we use to say "not quite right" about the way the locals did things. Like when they were tasked to paint a crosswalk at an intersection on the base instead of the usual or standard way everyone else does it (including their own country) they instead ran it diagonally through the 4-way stop intersection. Not quite right.

I would take that booster back, tell them it is defective, and get at least a Seiken booster which will fit correctly and as a bonus it comes painted.

I had this exact same issue a few weeks ago. Just had to have a friend help me line up the bracket behind the insulation and it went right through. If you’re in your own you can duct tape the booster to the firewall so it doesn’t fall out when you’re re-threading the bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom