1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brake Booster Where To Get One

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by blueticker17, Aug 16, 2006.

1. blueticker17

blueticker17

It seems I have a bad booster. Where can I get one that is not $300-400? Are they rebuildable? How hard would it be if possible?
    Thanks

2. bustanutley

bustanutley

3. Fast Eddy

Fast Eddy

They're rebuildable, but the rebuild kits are no longer available. The $300 ones are a bargain if you're into restoration.

I am, but I'm out of $300 bills, so I went the junkyard route. I have one from an '81 2wd minitruck ($25), which is smaller than the one I'm using which is from a '91 4 runner ($70 from a different source). The bigger one interferes a tiny bit with the hard lines where they're attached to the firewall.

Make sure you get the check valve when you get the booster. On the original booster it's internal. The minitruck ones are external and attached with a bracket to the firewall. Supposedly there's a cheap Napa generic vaccuum check valve that you can use instead, but I have a Toyota one.

There's a spacer that goes between the firewall and booster that's about 5/16" thick. I don't have one, so I used nuts instead.

Some people have said they had to trim the output shaft from the minitruck booster to get the adjustment right. I did not. The adjustment is critical. Too much shaft and your brakes will hang up. Too little and you don't get full brake pressure. Ask me how I know.

4. offrd63

offrd63 Ain't you done yet!

X2 Just get one out of a mini truck. 30 to 40 bucks.

5. enj0ii

enj0ii

i robbed one outta an early 80's mini, bolts right up to my 40... werks great! might be easier to come by for ya

6. dgangle

dgangle total rice SILVER Star

7. FF LC FREAK

FF LC FREAK

Media:
    Albums:
    I certainly would not pay $300 for a booster unless I was doing a full resto. Lots of different applications work. Do a search if you are interested. Or, like others have said, a mini truck booster will for the most part bolt right up. I used one out of an 89 mini truck ($45 for booster and m/c from the local junk yard). I had to cut the pushrod down about 1/2 inch to keep the brakes from dragging, but other than that it was an easy swap.

Good luck!

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">