Brake Booster Where To Get One (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

They're rebuildable, but the rebuild kits are no longer available. The $300 ones are a bargain if you're into restoration.

I am, but I'm out of $300 bills, so I went the junkyard route. I have one from an '81 2wd minitruck ($25), which is smaller than the one I'm using which is from a '91 4 runner ($70 from a different source). The bigger one interferes a tiny bit with the hard lines where they're attached to the firewall.

Make sure you get the check valve when you get the booster. On the original booster it's internal. The minitruck ones are external and attached with a bracket to the firewall. Supposedly there's a cheap Napa generic vaccuum check valve that you can use instead, but I have a Toyota one.

There's a spacer that goes between the firewall and booster that's about 5/16" thick. I don't have one, so I used nuts instead.

Some people have said they had to trim the output shaft from the minitruck booster to get the adjustment right. I did not. The adjustment is critical. Too much shaft and your brakes will hang up. Too little and you don't get full brake pressure. Ask me how I know.

I certainly would not pay $300 for a booster unless I was doing a full resto. Lots of different applications work. Do a search if you are interested. Or, like others have said, a mini truck booster will for the most part bolt right up. I used one out of an 89 mini truck ($45 for booster and m/c from the local junk yard). I had to cut the pushrod down about 1/2 inch to keep the brakes from dragging, but other than that it was an easy swap.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom