Brake booster ??'s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My brake booster seems to have developed a vacum leak at the back of the booster. I can hear the leak when I apply the brakes and the engine revs but cannot feel any air escaping when poking around inside the rig.

First question. I have searched and am 97% sure I have an oe 60 series booster in my rig but it would be cool if someone could confirm. It looks exactly like the one on the JT outfitters site to me but Ive been wrong before. Anyone have a part #?

booster003.jpg

booster002.jpg

booster001.jpg

Where I hear the air hissing (Im guessing its leaking under the accordion boot).

booster004.jpg

Second question. If it is a 60 booster, Ive heard they are re buildable? Does toyota sell a rebuild kit? Any advice from those that have done the re build?

Third question. Anyone know if the 75 or 79 series LC uses the same booster? Reason I ask is I have access to 70 series parts locally and since canada post is on strike Id be able to get it much sooner vs ordering online.

Thanks in advance.

D

Last edited:
My toy dealer cant get either the rebuild kit or the booster...

Part #'s.

fj60 rebuild kit 04443-60080
fj60 booster 44610-60100
75 series booster 44610-60540
79 series booster 44610-6A150 (master mounts w 2 bolts instead of 4 so it wont work)

Im hoping a 75 series would bolt in, gonna call the mine lc place.

D

I bolted one in off a 95 4 runner and honestly it actually works a little better. No real modifications, the booster is wider but not as thick, but it still fits in nicely.

I'd just match it up it seems like many toyota boosters of that general age range fit. I want to say an 80 booster will, mini truck, 4 runner etc.

Im running one out of an fzj80 and its a bolt on swap...Im also running the MC out of a non ABS 80 series
I got the original..--'85 fj60-- is yours if you want it.. but with Canada Post being on strike..???
Guess you can go with UPS ?

Last edited:
If the other sources fail, I know Mark A. of Mark's off road has them - rebuilt. 818-953-9230 Leave a msg if he doesn't answer, it's a one-man shop.

You guys are awesome.

I had read that they are interchangeable and harassed my buddy at the parts place till he found me a 91 4x4 v6 4runner booster. It will be in tomorrow so I guess thats when Ill know for sure if they match up but everything Ive read points to yes.

Kurtis, you said your runner booster bolted right in, any issuse with it being thinner?

D

No real issues, the lines flex into place just fine. I can't remember exactly but that little heat shield in the back left of your third pic might be to narrow to go back on depending on which one you get. You might have to massage it just a little if you want to use it. Other than that straight bolt on. A 91 might be a little less wide than a 95 as well. I would look but my brother has my 60 at the moment. I'm running a stock 60 master and 95 4 runner booster.

The most important thing is to just adjust the rod correctly. I think you want 2-3mm of free play so when the booster warms up the brakes don't rub.

That's a Toyota booster for sure with a GM master bolted to it.

I would not use the long booster from the 75. A later Minitruck or 4 Runner would work.

As I posted in your other thread, I would like to know exactly what GM master you are running that has enough pressure and volume to run your 1 ton brakes.

Gotcha, thanks.

I looked at the master a little closer today and there doesnt look to be any markings on it... Ill check again tomorrow if I put the new booster in. Proffitts built it and they said most of the parts were early 80's chev one ton so maybe they used the master too? its got rear discs too if that makes any difference.

The set up works good and Id say it stopped better than my 80 on 285's. Could probably benefit form new pads but I had no complaints when it worked.

D

Last edited:
Just to finish this thread off I took a couple pics.

60 booster on the left, 91 4runner on the right. The circumference of the 60 booster is roughly 27" while the runner one is 30 1/4". The 60 booster is 4" "thick" and the runner is 3 3/4". Just had to bend that heat shield slightly for everything to fit.

booster006.jpg

booster005.jpg

A shot of the runner booster in my junker. Im a cheezy bastard so I had to bronze it out.

booster007.jpg

Brakes are kick ass now, seem better than before the swap for what its worth.

D

180* from where mine is? I just positioned mine exactly like the old one was.

D

That's a Toyota booster for sure with a GM master bolted to it.

I would not use the long booster from the 75. A later Minitruck or 4 Runner would work.

As I posted in your other thread, I would like to know exactly what GM master you are running that has enough pressure and volume to run your 1 ton brakes.

The master looks very much like the Bendix unit that is on my 1989 Dodge Cummins one ton 4wd. That truck has a Dana 60 front and a Dana 70 rear with huge calipers up front.

Just to finish this thread off I took a couple pics.

60 booster on the left, 91 4runner on the right. The circumference of the 60 booster is roughly 27" while the runner one is 30 1/4". The 60 booster is 4" "thick" and the runner is 3 3/4". Just had to bend that heat shield slightly for everything to fit.
Assuming that the internal valves are the same OD, that's about a 12% increase in diaphragm area. If the displacement vs. boost curve of the new booster is similar to that of the old booster I'd expect the results that you're reporting. Would be interesting to see the results of just this booster swap on an otherwise all stock brake system. This could be the real method to improve the brakes of a 60 rather than the 4Rnnr caliper swap.

I have a 95 in my SOA 60 with otherwise stock components in new/good shape and it is a real performance increase. I didn't do any tests before but stopping the 35s requires substantially less peddle effort with the newer booster.

I did the runner booster on my truck with a T100 master and runner calipers and it was a great improvement over the original master with the same other components... Only real problem in the comparison was that my old booster was leaking so i can't really say it was just the booster. I also have no idea how an original truck stops anymore since the other components have been on there for a while. :(

62 booster

180* from where mine is? I just positioned mine exactly like the old one was.

D

darwink-
This must be the 180* he is talking about. This is a pic of my 62's booster where the vacuum line is attached at upper left, rotating it 180 would put it lower right like yours. I do'nt think there is an up or down. (??)

Btw, where did you order the 4runner booster?...and about how much $$ was it?
My original leaked so I salvaged this one from another Mud 62...it leaks too.:bang: My master is new OEM. The 62 booster from Toyo is discontinued. I'm ready for a new/not salvaged booster.
Thx for any info.
booster.jpg

Just a ****py calzone or whatever one from the parts source, 300 bucks after core.

D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom