Brake booster push rod adjustment and related?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In a house, in a small village in Maine, approxima
Hello everyone, This is officially my first, and hopefully not last post. I've been lurking for a while. I bought an '84 Fj60 last year and have been working on getting up the courage to play mechanic ever since. Through reading posts on this site I have already gained a great deal of knowledge and understanding of landcruisers and general mechanics. If it was not for IH8MUD and your individual contributions I would be without hope. Thank you for the inspiration to wrench my own cruiser.

Last week I successfully replaced the clutch master and slave cylinders; and bled the system. :clap:

1) This week I have been working on replacing the brake master and booster. This leads me to my question: I purchased new Aisin MC and had new Aisin booster from PO. The FSM, under Installation of brake booster, instructs me to use specialty service tool 09737-00010 to measure clearance of booster push rod. Can anyone tell me how to do this without access to this tool?

2) Also (maybe seperate thread?) in searching locally for gasket for MC, I came to the realization that nobody, including Toyota, stocks these. Where do you guys get parts like gaskets, and filters? I have a set on order from Toyota dealer, but now I'm on hold for a week at least.

3) Would NAPA brand adhesive backed heavy duty gasket material be a suitable replacement for the above mentioned gasket? I would cut to fit.

1) This week I have been working on replacing the brake master and booster. This leads me to my question: I purchased new Aisin MC and had new Aisin booster from PO. The FSM, under Installation of brake booster, instructs me to use specialty service tool 09737-00010 to measure clearance of booster push rod. Can anyone tell me how to do this without access to this tool?

It is possible to use a depth micrometer to get this adjustment very close.

But I just do it by feel now:
install booster
connect brake pedal
adjust pedal height & freeplay per FSM
Bolt up MC, push pedal and feel for increased pedal force when booster pushrod hits MC.
Remove MC and adjust booster rod to get minimal play.

2) Also (maybe seperate thread?) in searching locally for gasket for MC, I came to the realization that nobody, including Toyota, stocks these. Where do you guys get parts like gaskets, and filters? I have a set on order from Toyota dealer, but now I'm on hold for a week at least.
fugeddaboudit. There is a rubber seal on the pilot of the MC that seals it to the booster, with a small weep channel for leaking fluid to drain. The paper gasket is not on all models, and just adds another failure point.

3) Would NAPA brand adhesive backed heavy duty gasket material be a suitable replacement for the above mentioned gasket? I would cut to fit.
The original gasket is just paper, not very thick, not adhesive.

The trick I learned from a guy who rebuilds brake boosters was to put a dab of grease on the end of the shaft and then put the master cylinder in place. Remove the master cyl and look at how much grease is left on the end of the shaft. If there is zero clearance when assembled, the grease gets completely squeezed off the end of the shaft.

Nice trick with grease. I wouldn't have thought of that on my own. I was able to adjust the push rod off the truck by feel. We shall see once it is installed on truck. I am now scratching my head as to why I have extra brake hydraulic parts connected to MC. I am starting new thread on this. Thanks for help guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom