Brake Booster Mystery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hopefully someone can help me out with this one. Currently I do not have brake assist on my 1985 FJ-60 meaning it more coasts to a stop than actual braking. This truck sat for 14 years so I am running in to a lot of weird things. I just finished doing a valve job due to a stuck intake valve and on the first drive I noticed that I really had to stand on the brakes. I don't think having the head off has anything to do with the problem, but I am curious if the booster is getting vacuum at all. My set up runs off of a port on the side of the carb horn. With the truck running, I do not feel much in the way of vacuum. So I guess a good place to start is 1) was this piped correctly in the first place 2) how much vacuum should I have at the port. Thanks in advance.

Some pics of your setup might help. The brake booster should be getting it's vacuum from the port circled.

IMG_4591.JPG

Hopefully someone can help me out with this one. Currently I do not have brake assist on my 1985 FJ-60 meaning it more coasts to a stop than actual braking. This truck sat for 14 years so I am running in to a lot of weird things. I just finished doing a valve job due to a stuck intake valve and on the first drive I noticed that I really had to stand on the brakes. I don't think having the head off has anything to do with the problem, but I am curious if the booster is getting vacuum at all. My set up runs off of a port on the side of the carb horn. With the truck running, I do not feel much in the way of vacuum. So I guess a good place to start is 1) was this piped correctly in the first place 2) how much vacuum should I have at the port. Thanks in advance.
Some pics of your setup might help. The brake booster should be getting it's vacuum from the port circled.

View attachment 1459054

View attachment 1459054

Toyota vacuum 002.jpg

Toyota vacuum 005.jpg

The port circled is part of the charcoal canister purge system. That one should go to the carb. Use the stiffer/heavier of the two hoses for the brake booster. Once you hook that up properly, you should have plenty of vacuum to test the booster

IMG_5506.JPG

The port circled is part of the charcoal canister purge system. That one should go to the carb. Use the stiffer/heavier of the two hoses for the brake booster. Once you hook that up properly, you should have plenty of vacuum to test the booster

View attachment 1459082

Switched them and it works perfect! Thank you for your help. Now all I need to do is get her to pass emissions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom