Brake Booster Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need some brake booster advice. The original brake booster failed on my 1995 80, the pedal went rock hard which required 2 feet to stop it Flinstone style. I decided to purchase a replacement rebuilt 'Cardone' booster off of Rock Auto. Since its been installed the brake pedal does not feel right. It feels spongy and requires more effort at the same time to engage the brakes. The first few stops were good and then the pedal feeling changed. When at a stop light if I lightly let off the pedal the vehicle starts to creep forward. If I am pressing the brake firmly while stopped I can hear air leaking from the booster under the dash.

Is this booster faulty out of the box or is there an adjustment that I am missing? The push rod was adjusted back to the same length with the original booster. Any help or feedback would be great.

Thanks in advance!

CB

Faulty out of the box, most likely. There are multiple valves inside the booster which switch between vacuum and atmospheric air to meter "boost" to the master cylinder. If you're holding the brake and turn off the engine, does the pedal get stiff/rise on you?

Lots of horror stories with the rebuilds here. I'd return it and pony up for the new Seiken from @arcteryx

Faulty out of the box, most likely. There are multiple valves inside the booster which switch between vacuum and atmospheric air to meter "boost" to the master cylinder. If you're holding the brake and turn off the engine, does the pedal get stiff/rise on you?
Lots of horror stories with the rebuilds here. I'd return it and pony up for the new Seiken from @arcteryx

^^ This

It's not worth buying a reman brake booster. Too many issues. My reman failed and scared the crap out of me when I nearly missed hitting a kid that chased after his ball in the street. Just get a new one like the seiken noted above. Sure, it costs about $90 more, but your life, and the lives of others, are worth it.

Thanks, yes I sell new OEM, you can read the description for details

Thanks for the info guys. I will look at my options and order a new unit.

CB

Thanks, yes I sell new OEM, you can read the description for details

Thanks for supplying this Seiken part (I bought one from you & working fine), but Seiken isn't OEM. When you compared the Seiken to an OEM unit, what did you observe to make the claim that they're "exactly the same"?

Thanks for supplying this Seiken part (I bought one from you & working fine), but Seiken isn't OEM. When you compared the Seiken to an OEM unit, what did you observe to make the claim that they're "exactly the same"?

Thanks for the order. But, why do you say it isn't? It is odd that you would say it isn't then ask what the differences are.

The Seiken unites are OEM minus the Toyota cardboard box. Besides me comparing them, including the same Bosch sticker, others on here have confirmed as well.

I don't have a pic of the OEM ones I had, but here is one that was posted by someone a in 2016 OEM or aftermarket brake booster

and here is a Seiken that I put on one of my 80s. As you will find , Bosch own the patent and/or contract for these.

IMG_2979.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom