brake booster gone bad (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I guess it's time for a new brake booster in the 40. It sounds like I have a vaccum leak at the pedal and my brakes barely work -- a little scary. Does anyone have any tips on replacement or rebuilding? They just seem so darn expensive for even used ones.

Thanks.

I bought a rebuild kit and had a local brake shop rebuild it. ~$250 best deal I could find at the time

A lot depends on the year. If you have one of the large "tandem" boosters of the 76+ variety, they are difficult to get rebuilt. I got a rebuild kit through Cruiserdan, but it had to be ordered from Japan. Then I sent the whole thing to "Booster Dewey" at Power Brake in Oregon. He did the rebuild for $100 and it has worked flawlessly since. He even commented on the high quality of the overall unit. You are right, it isn't cheap. Cruiserdan did say something that if the boosters were available new, it would cost north of $1000.

Mark of Mark's Offroad and I were talking about this, and he said most "rebuilds" use old parts and a fresh coat of paint, so beware.

Thanks guys. That's some pretty good info. Cruisers have way too many overpriced parts, but I would still rather spend my money on one of those than a Cheep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom