brake booster from a gasser work on a diesel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
brake booster seals on the HJ60 are shot, the thing filled with brake fluid.

will a replacement from a 4runner or a newer gas cruiser work? would an fj60 work? you'd think it would, but then why are the toyota part numbers different?

i know one key issue is mounting, both MC to booster and booster to firewall, but i'm also curious if anyone knows of any differences in gas/diesel on this component...diesel derives vacuum differently no?

thanks

I don't see why it would be different. They just get vacuum from a different place but brakes are brakes and the engine really doesn't matter.

biocruiser said:
brake booster seals on the HJ60 are shot, the thing filled with brake fluid.

will a replacement from a 4runner or a newer gas cruiser work? would an fj60 work? you'd think it would, but then why are the toyota part numbers different?

i know one key issue is mounting, both MC to booster and booster to firewall, but i'm also curious if anyone knows of any differences in gas/diesel on this component...diesel derives vacuum differently no?

thanks

I think the part number is the same for a gasser and diesel of the same year and model I think it should work.

Michael

Should work. Vacuum is vacuum. The mounting pattern as long as it is the 4 bolt rectangular pattern should fit. The issue here is really the length of the rod that goes to the pedal. Example, the 70 series booster has a much longer rod than an 80 booster.

FJ60 booster should work.

Dave

And you check the interior fo the cilinder . ? or simple you gonna change it . ? I thought Toyota sell those repair kits if you cilinder is in good shape ..

the booster on my 84 US spec fj60 is very different in appearance from the 88 Central American spec hj60. The fj's booster is a bit deeper and larger. Not sure how much difference that makes, but it is definately not the same part. I'm swapping mine over with the disc brakes, just in case it matters.

sandcruiser said:
the booster on my 84 US spec fj60 is very different in appearance from the 88 Central American spec hj60. The fj's booster is a bit deeper and larger. Not sure how much difference that makes, but it is definately not the same part. I'm swapping mine over with the disc brakes, just in case it matters.

I think that is a little bit of apples and oranges, sounds like one of them is drum all the way around as well as the difference in years. Anyone have the same year and model for both gas and diesel, if so is the booster the same?

Cheers,

Michael

85 bj60 is the same as 88fj62
HTH Daryl

thanks for all the replies guys, every bit helps. here is what i've found out for the next guy that comes along with a jacked hj60 booster.

i know the master cylinder is the same/same part number. i also know the booster rebuild kit is discontinued, no longer imported for the diesel. slim possibility a canadian dealer has one (please chime in if you're one of those and reading this and have one).

just spent the day at 3 different salvage yards looking over early 90s 4runners and trucks. the 91 4 runner is close....bolts same on the MC side but the firewall hole for the push rod is just a smidgen off...could probably force it in...but it's 100 bucks for the part...so at that price i'm thinking i'll just get the fj60 one i found for 25 bucks more.

hey sandcruiser, does it look like the fj and hj pushrods to the pedal are the same length?

hmmm... not sure. I'll take a look when I swap the two. Probably tomorrow.

Yes.

upside down replacement install

found a very similar looking booster today on a 94 toyota pickup. the master cylinder bolts right on to it, the push rod to the clutch pedal is the same length, or at least within the range of adjustability, and the price was right at 35 bones.

so i come home, muscle that beyatch in (custom turbo exhaust making my life hell, yo dre i bet you didn't think about taking the booster off when you put it on ;) anyways i work it in and the whole pattern is a smidgen off. bolts are in the same place but the firewall side of the booster body doesn't line up with the hole in the firewall...argh!!!!

so anyways for a laugh i spin it around 180, basically, upside down with the vacuum connection pointing down...and of course it lines up enough to get it in.

so question: can anyone think of why i can't/shouldn't run this fing thing upside down? it means the master cylinder will bolt up opposite as it normally would. but as far as i can tell from the manual there is nothing in this thing that isn't round and would need to be one way or the other.

man this is taking alot longer than i thought to get done. here is the turbo exhaust that is blocking me and the replacement installed upside down:

large-1131056625-msg-9437-1.jpg

if your ex. is that close I'd say the reason for failure is definitly heat related ! You better put some sort of heat shield on there.
I can't remember but is there some sort of drain on the booster ? If not then run it. If there is a drain just drill a new one and run it . I can't see any reason why you can't run it upside down , it is just a diaphragm.
Daryl

LOL nice seeing that picture and to see my old cruiser doing well. Exhaust manifold actually isn't that close, just in the way for removal IIRC.. Cam if you are worried about it summit sells some heat wrap that I run on a section of my exhaust that is close to the firewall. Anyway, a bad master dumping fluid in the booster is what caused the problem. Otherwise its been like this for the last few years with no problems. No reason you can't run it upside down I think. All that port on the booster is, is for vaccuum, upside down shouldn't affect anything as far as I can tell. Price was certainly right!

If you need immediate local pickup, and get a core refund, I can also confirm the 1993 Toyota 4Runner Brake Booster is an exact fit for the HJ60 Brake Booster. AutoZone and others share the same part number 53-2776 even though they may add their brand name (Duralast, etc). I understand it also works for the FJ60 and others. You even get $35 for your core if you bring your old one in. It is so odd to me that the exact same booster, is sold as different part numbers around the globe. You just need to know which one is the equivalent and this tread helped me.

😳 Holy old thread resurrection!! 16 yrs. Nice to know. I went with a 80 series booster
& MC. Bit more output, seems to work stronger.

What about the clutch booster? I'm pretty sure an FJ60 booster won't fit my HJ as it hits the clutch booster. The factory brake booster on the HJ is a larger diameter, but flatter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom