Brake booster 78, vs '81 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone know if a 81 FJ40 Booster is the same as a '78.

The booster on my 78 has finally s*** the bed but I have one from and 81 in a box. I'd pull it and do a side by side but my 40 is my daily driver and cant afford to have it down untill all parts are ready to install.

thanks in advance for your thoughts.

It will not be "correct", but it's likely that it will fit with some minor hard line bending and it should work just fine. There is no "correct" replacement available from a regular source. Some places still have stockpiles of rebuilt units for sale at expectedly inflated prices.

'78 has a "fat" booster, part #44610-60050 as stated above.
'81 and up has a thinner booster, part #44610-60180.

Check Rock Auto for a rebuilt fat booster. CENTRIC Part # 16088103.

thanks for all the tips. very helpful

Talking of boosters ..... what do you guys use here:
BoosterMasterPushrod1.jpg

As you can see, I've been using silicone grease with good results...

I think that seal around that pushrod becoming dry is a major cause of booster vacuum loss and the seal itself seems to be unobtainium...

:beer:

Not sure what you mean by this, but there is no evidence of a dual diaphragm booster being properly rebuilt within the last 5+ years, since Toyota discontinued the rebuild kit.

You know Fast Eddy, I can see that one of these days when my Centric booster fails again, I will resume my dual-diaphragm booster project...

Install2.JPG

Is that it? Is it exactly the same as original? Interesting. I've got a good one in my garage that was in storage since '80 or so, but I run 4runner boosters in both of mine. It overlaps one bolt of the clutch master, so can be in the way at times.

Is that it? Is it exactly the same as original? Interesting. I've got a good one in my garage that was in storage since '80 or so, but I run 4runner boosters in both of mine. It overlaps one bolt of the clutch master, so can be in the way at times.

It's not exactly the same as the original. It's dual diaphragm, but not quite as thick. As a result, the proportioning valve couldn't quite reach it...unless I tweak the brake lines, which I don't like to do.

To make a long story short, I ran this booster in my car for a while with the prop valve dangling, but when PartsGeek gave me a replacement Centric booster for the "rebuilt" one I bought from them that lasted only a few months, I put that on instead to make sure it's working.

The one I got from them was exactly the same as the OEM. It was bare steel, so I primed and painted it. It had a new boot, new 'star' washer inside, that I know are NLA, and had new looking seals and rod. After painting it and a new sticker, looks just like a new OEM unit. How long it will last has me a little concerned after reading about some of the other failures, but I do have two original backups, one of which I'm quite sure is good, the other is unknown.

The solution for me on my 10/78 manu date was to go with Rogers unit and a spacer. @Racer65 and his online store is City Racer LLC. I also sent back my fat booster to have it rebuilt by SOR and it cost a fortune, never bothered R.E.-installing it as the unit from Rog works excellent. Make sure you get the rod clearance correct, had my mechanic do that. I wonder if SOR has NOS diaphragms on hand, and how many???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom