Brake Booster 71 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Vacuum line to Brake Booster needs to be disconnected and plugged to get cylinders 5 & 6 to fire on '71 FJ40.
Steady 22 " hg vacuum at manifold from this line.
Vaccum pump hooked to Brake booster shows the Booster loosing vacuum. Is this common? If not, can the booster be fixed without replacing it for $400.
Thanks

Derf 62

38 year old boosters do eventually go bad.

I don't know where you are looking, but I definitely sell rebuilt booster for a lot less than that.

There are also places you can send your booster to that will rebuild them for even less. A thread search should get you a few names. Booster dewey is the only one that comes to mind right off.

Best

Mark A.

It is not common for brake boosters to not hold vacuum, unless the seals have failed, which is what sounds like is going on with your unit.

If you want to stay with a similar, original component, it is going to be expensive. I do not think that the seal kits are available from Toyota for the older brake boosters any longer. You could call Cruiserdan out here and have him check.

Or,

You could find another booster assembly from a 60 series in a wrecking yard, test it with your vacuum pump and verify that it is good, and swap it out with your old one.

:meh:

Will the Brake Booster and Master Cylinder off My '89 FJ 62 fit my '71 FJ40?

Drf62

It should. I pulled one off a 91 Toyota pickup and it bolted right up. I did have to shorten the push rod from the pedal about a 1/2". That was about it. Pretty straight forward.

:cheers:

FJ 62 Brake Booster, Front Brakes

Thanks for the tip on the Brake Booster off my 89 FJ 62. I'll pull it and try it on the '71 FJ 40.

Could I pull the front end off the '89 and replace the '71 with Front disk brakes?
Tried to sell the '89 as a part truck for 4 years, no takers, so would like to salvage parts to retrofit the FJ 40. Ever hear of anyone trying this??

Derf62

Could I pull the front end off the '89 and replace the '71 with Front disk brakes?
Tried to sell the '89 as a part truck for 4 years, no takers, so would like to salvage parts to retrofit the FJ 40. Ever hear of anyone trying this??

Derf62

Absolutely. It is a very common swap. If you search on here, you will likely find about a million threads covering the topic. Its also in the FAQs. Basically, you swap the knuckle out including the birfield. Viola, you have disk brakes up front!

:cheers:

If you don't mind my shameless plug, there is a good booster from a '71 in the classifieds...

Vacuum line to Brake Booster needs to be disconnected and plugged to get cylinders 5 & 6 to fire on '71 FJ40.
Steady 22 " hg vacuum at manifold from this line.
Vaccum pump hooked to Brake booster shows the Booster loosing vacuum. Is this common? If not, can the booster be fixed without replacing it for $400.
Thanks

Derf 62

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom