Brake Booster 1978 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am having a terrible problem getting a replacement booster. I keep ordering from vendors that then order from a Centric rebuilder in northern California. When I get the booster it is not like mine on my FJ that is original. Mine is a little over 7" front to back and the replacements are 4". Prices are high for a non-matching part. The diameter is also different. They resemble the cheap oversea boosters I see on line for $69. The venders I order from all show my original 7" booster in their pictures, then send the thinner 4"with larger diameter.

Does anyone know of a good rebuilder vender that I can buy a 1978 dual diaphram booster that is correct? I don't want to have to bend all my brake lines that connect to my master cylinder. Thanks

Replace with the smaller booster. It’ll give your carb a little more clearance and works as good as the original. This topic has been discussed plenty.

I think your booster is no longer available, and rebuild kits are long gone. If you want 1 like the original, you'll have to buy it used.

Cityracer sells this one. Not sure of the dimensions, but it looks to be close to the same as the big ol' honkin' booster on the late 70's 40 series.

Edit: Upon further inspection, it is smaller than the big boy in the '78 40. Oh well....

I believe City Racer sells an OEM single diaphram brake booster: City Racer LLC - https://www.cityracerllc.com/.

I just installed their dual diaphram unit to open up more real estate under the hood and improve brake power. However, my body is off the frame right now and I'm running all new NiCopp brake/clutch lines while I have room to do it.

Last edited:
I used the new CityRacer one on my 1/78 build. I did switch to 4 wheel discs and a non ABS 80 series MC like a lot of folks on here. Stops on a dime with no pulling. Just my .02.

Thanks for all the info. I really wanted to avoid bending brake lines to the master cylinder to accommodate the smaller booster (depthwise) but I guess I'll have to. I also think the larger diameter might also be a problem

i went with the city racer as well....brake line bending is very minimal

brake booster.jpg

Toyota moved to the smaller dual diaphragm booster shortly after production of 40’s ended, so unless you’re concerned with exact period-correctness, the smaller dual diaphragm booster will provide more room and improved braking performance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom