Bp51 setting’s recommendations (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

JcrewLC

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking for recommendations on BP51 setting:

Running 2721 springs in the back
Stock weight
285/70/18 Nitto Recon

Wifey is saying it’s a little rough on the ride. Never adjusted the settings off the box when the installer did it. Looking for a comfy ride for now since it’s her mall crawler.

Zeros across the board will be the softest setting. I’d start there and increase if she thinks it’s “floaty”. Seems unlikely given stock weight.

Unfortunately, yes. You would need to remove and then set the preload from 0 to 5 max. I think I set mine to 3 as I have a drawer system, but no metal bumper, spare tire, accessories, etc.

But this would definitely explain the harsh ride.

Assuming you're talking about the spring preload on the fronts, I didn't adjust mine, I left them at the stock 10mm, and I don't think the ride is harsh, seems nice and firm to me. I don't have a front steel bumper (yet), the only additional weight I have up front is a dual battery system, the starting battery is also the large Group 31. I do have full drawers and a steel bumper in the back.

My recommendation is to contact ARB to receive the most current fitting instructions. It's been some time since I installed my system, but here's what I remember:
  • The preload from the factory comes set to 20, which assumes that you have accessories installed (metal bumpers/bar, winch, 2nd battery, etc.).
  • A few different fitting instructions are floating around, produced on different dates. You need to make sure that the fitting instructions you receive are for petrol engines vs. diesel. From the doc I used, the petrol instructions recommended a preload setting of 0, while the diesel instructions recommended 10 when running with no accessories.
I'm attaching the fitting instructions I used, but again, contact ARB to get the most current version.

Attachments

• VM90010003_LC200_Front.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
Looking for recommendations on BP51 setting:

Running 2721 springs in the back
Stock weight
285/70/18 Nitto Recon

Wifey is saying it’s a little rough on the ride. Never adjusted the settings off the box when the installer did it. Looking for a comfy ride for now since it’s her mall crawler.
Your E-rated tires will make the biggest difference. I have bp-51 and ran e-rated 285/70/18 RG and was not fun going over speed bumps, potholes, etc. I then switched to the new Nitto Recon 295/70/18 SL rated and the change was amazing. They soaked up everything like a Cadillac. I ended up returning them because they made an odd droning sound I can only hear apparently around 64-69mph. My family couldn’t hear it but it bothered my ears and that is the speed I used most of the time on my local highway. I now have Bridgestone Revo3 and they are silent, super smooth and grippy in heavy rain, but not great over speed bumps and potholes as my stiffness has come back but not as bad as my original Ridge grapplers which I find noisy once you hit 25k miles. I might be selling my 200 soon as my new job is 3mi. from house and need something for constant short trips which isn’t great to do with a V8. Since, you’re using your vehicle as a mall cruiser, take a hard look at the Nitto Recon SL if you want the aggressive look without and softness you’re searching for. Just know, you’ll need 1.25” spacers and maybe a 1/4” turning bump stop welded on. My turning radius hasn’t changed at all.

IMG_3768.jpeg

I was able to adjust the front but I’m having some difficulties adjusting the setting on the rear. It’s turning the shock and I didn’t want to break something so I stopped

I was able to adjust the front but I’m having some difficulties adjusting the setting on the rear. It’s turning the shock and I didn’t want to break something so I stopped
You have to use some sort of wrench to hold the shock body to keep it from rotating. I use a strap wrench.

I've watched the OME videos about how the BP51 adjustments work, but I'm not clear on how the adjustments actually impact real life driving. Do the compression/rebound settings mostly affect low speed or high speed driving characteristics?

Slee did my BP51 install and set C/R to 3/7 front and 4/7 rear. The ride is great on the highway, especially with a cooler in the trunk, maybe even a bit too floaty, but it soaks up much of the highway imperfections nicely. Low speed around town though the pothole hits and railroad track crossings in the city and around town are rough. It feels like the slower I go, the harsher the ride.

I could just set everything to 0/0 and then try to adjust from there, but it's a 20 minute drive to get on the highway, so trail-and-error testing is going to take an entire day (unless I get really lucky). Given where I'm at now and my current ride characteristics, anyone care to make recommendations on what I should change?

Found this today. Best all-in-one view I've seen yet.
(also, 290PSI nitrogen top-off for best and most consistent performance)

1713218154880.png

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom