BP-51 with stock size tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SemperCruiser

cruisin'
Threads
Hello all - curious if anyone has done a BP-51 (or equivalent suspension install) without going larger than stock-sized tires or wheel spacers? I'm considering that on our new LC200 but also understand most folks upgrade tire size with the new suspension.

If you've done this and still run 285/60/18 tires and can post some photos or share experiences I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

What is purpose of your suspension install?

Good question. This one will split daily duties with another vehicle and also used as a hunting/fishing/camping rig. I'm sensitive to the performance loss with bigger tires and adding additional unsprung weight.

I've always gone bigger tires on previous suspension installs but curious if anyone went with BFG's etc in stock size on a BP-51

Good question. This one will split daily duties with another vehicle and also used as a hunting/fishing/camping rig. I'm sensitive to the performance loss with bigger tires and adding additional unsprung weight.

I've always gone bigger tires on previous suspension installs but curious if anyone went with BFG's etc in stock size on a BP-51

No connection between BP-51 and tire size. All about controlling compression and rebound…and selecting appropriate weight rear coils…and selecting front coilover preload to account for what weight your vehicle currently is.

Tires will help off road, but lots of benefits to upgrading suspension for control and handling…even if running stock tires.

On the other hand… Even a more basic OME suspension setup with be a massive improvement (if you select appropriate springs) over stock, with the basic OME setup being maybe half the cost.

I am of the same camp. I have the BP51 and stock sized Duratracs,

Can anyone running BP51 comment on handling? I know this is not a Porsche Cayenne but would love to get less School Bus and more Cayenne when it comes to the turns since I live in an area with lots of turns

I'm sensitive to the performance loss with bigger tires and adding additional unsprung weight.
p-metric 285/70/17 on rock warriors are roughly the same as stock tire/wheel weight, while being 33”. So yes there would still be some lever arm/torque loss at the contact patch but at least the weight part of the equation is equal.

That said, if you want to keep your 18” BBS wheels I don’t think there is an equivalent light weight tire option while gaining diameter… unless new tires are making it onto the market.

Can anyone running BP51 comment on handling? I know this is not a Porsche Cayenne but would love to get less School Bus and more Cayenne when it comes to the turns since I live in an area with lots of turns
My thoughts are the OME suspension upgrades (BP51 2722's on the rear and SPC UCA's) clearly improved the handling of the truck tenfold. The rolling and swaying has completed been eliminated.

AA9180D8-3E68-479A-AD9F-2AFA3EA918AA_heic-M.jpg

CA1F3C3B-7EAA-4C3F-B9C2-2379B7736449_1_105_c-M.jpg

The picture I deleted was pre OME suspension upgrade (no bumper)

Last edited:
It would be interesting to have performance numbers b/w stock suspension and aftermarket ones given same tires. How many roadholding g’s, braking distance, Figure 8 numbers, etc..

I figure that aftermarket suspension is good for off-roading (clearances, angles, shock durability, and decrease risk of bottoming out)…but ON-road, i always figured that stock suspension would do better or, at least, better overall in terms of ride & handling?

From my perspective, to me, it seems that the aftermarket suspension provides for a ride that is in better contact with whatever surface I am on, whether it be pavement or off road. 90% of my driving is on paved surface, so tit is very easy for me to recognize the difference. I had the same experience with aftermarket suspensions in my 4Runner and my Land Rover. Aftermarket suspension seems to perform much better and provide a more agile ride on paved surfaces.

From my perspective, to me, it seems that the aftermarket suspension provides for a ride that is in better contact with whatever surface I am on, whether it be pavement or off road. 90% of my driving is on paved surface, so tit is very easy for me to recognize the difference. I had the same experience with aftermarket suspensions in my 4Runner and my Land Rover. Aftermarket suspension seems to perform much better and provide a more agile ride on paved surfaces.
Maybe true…but I cannot imagine that Toyota engineers and their wealth of knowledge of the platform is outsmarted by an aftermarket vendor In terms of “road contact”.

Totally agree, but I am only going on what I feel now compared to what I felt with the original factory suspension in place. Comparison would be the "floating" feel from the Cadillac's of the '70's to today's modern luxury sedan. I recognize I just dated myself.....I'm a proud product of the early '60's!

Totally agree, but I am only going on what I feel now compared to what I felt with the original factory suspension in place. Comparison would be the "floating" feel from the Cadillac's of the '70's to today's modern luxury sedan. I recognize I just dated myself.....I'm a proud product of the early '60's!

Right? "Float" at over a 100 mph in Detroit steel is just how it was.

SemperCruiser, sorry for the thread jack....

Maybe true…but I cannot imagine that Toyota engineers and their wealth of knowledge of the platform is outsmarted by an aftermarket vendor In terms of “road contact”.
I tend to agree with this. I have upgraded tires to ko2s in 285/65/18 (no rubbing with the bbs HE wheels) because I am going on a trip through death valley, moab, etc and did not want to get stranded with the stock tires. Ride feels much better btw. Never felt it harsher as others (because of E rated tires) or road noise. I am however reluctant in swapping the factory suspension set with only 40k miles on it and can't believe the Toyota OEM is outsmarted by the aftermarket solutions, which may be great for other purposes such as rock crawling and very aggressive off-roading when you really need the added angles. It is not my intention to doubt of other's experiences though, but as others feel lots of road noise and harsher ride when swapping to E-rated ko2s or other AT tires, I did not feel any of those things. Like I said, felt better actually. I guess to each his own, but I do not see the advantage of swapping a brand new OEM suspension set if you are not going to increase tires or need angles. My 2 cents.

I think it’s not so much out smarted as it is different technology driven by engineers building towards different requirements

for example the shocks used in BP51 are adjustable for compression and rebound whilst OEM ones aren’t. That expands the truck to new needs, adjustability, that weren’t be addressed in OEM specifications.

another example is handling on road. Toyota requirements and tolerances probably did not think of people like me that drive every vehicle in a spirited manner. Consequently there is body roll and nose dive with spirited driving. The OME upgrade (seems to going by the repeats of those who are running BO51) addresses a use case Toyota did not anticipate or want to cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom