BP-51 install complete!! - tweak phase begins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kcjaz

SILVER Star
Threads
Finally got my truck back with BP-51 installed and KDSS fixed. No lean whatsoever. Truck is pretty level front to back with nothing in the back. I went with 2721s on the rear as I don’t typically carry a lot of weight and still have stock rear bumper. I was though hoping to still have a slight rake so that when I do load the back, I’d be level. I’m afraid with some load, I’ll be squatting in the back now. Maybe the 2721s wasn’t the right call. I’m committed now for a while. Maybe the front will settle a little.

Will get new ICON wheels and tires on tomorrow.

Also, the installer did not use the parts (pic below). I’m not sure what they are for. I don’t see then in the install instructions. Anyone know what there are for and if they should be installed?

8A3F8E3E-9442-4362-A880-53C79017E460.jpeg

7E490373-17B3-4A72-A5F2-D7B03CADBCE7.jpeg

077671F9-7D1C-4F1B-80F5-B30A3686B170.jpeg

Where did you go for the work?
Olathe Toyota. They did a really good job. I doubt they will do another one though and it wasn't cheap. Worth a call but when they agreed to do the work, all I had told them was that it was aftermarket shocks and struts. If the service manager had understood it was a lift, he'd likely have said no. This is a long story I've told on a different thread.

On the up side the parts I had left over are not needed. Got this from Ben at Slee:

"These are the misalignment washers and o-rings for the bottom of the front shock. It is expected to have these parts left over. They are included in the installation/mounting kit. About 2 years ago OME started pre-assembling the front shocks/coilovers with them and never changed the kits, thus you have two sets."

Here's a pic with the new wheels and tires:

with BP51 and ICON wheels.jpg

Very limited driving in it yet. The feel of the lift surprised me a little as it feels a lot higher than the numbers really are. I think most of that is due to the front now being level with the rear rather than nose down like it was. The suspension is currently set pretty soft and feels pretty much like the OEM which was a little "boaty" but really, I was afraid of it being too stiff as this is a daily driver/family trip cruiser. When I get a chance, I'm headed for some wash board dirt roads to see what bumps at speed feel like. Can't wait!

Yes I know but you have to remove the struts and use a spring compressor to reset the preload. Or I could just add a winch..., :hmm:

Yes I know but you have to remove the struts and use a spring compressor to reset the preload. Or I could just add a winch..., :hmm:
What's the point of having adjustable height coilovers if you aren't going to adjust them?

Can you take an after picture with new wheels, tires and lift on a flat road?
I’ll take another one but here is what I have now. All 5 of the stock wheels and tires are in the back. You can see a slight “Cali lean” or rear sag. I’ve measured the height of the sliders front and rear in my garage with the truck empty and it’s dead level.

E5C3DBEA-1474-48FC-95E8-832BA3DB052B.jpeg

Caption for photo - Overland built land cruiser in it's native habitat: suburban mall. lol :)

Caption for photo - Overland built land cruiser in it's native habitat: suburban mall. lol :)

yep. Is what it is. It is actually in the lot by the shop that mounted the wheels/tires. which is part of a strip mall. I went and got groceries l in it last night too!

I’ll take another one but here is what I have now. All 5 of the stock wheels and tires are in the back. You can see a slight “Cali lean” or rear sag. I’ve measured the height of the sliders front and rear in my garage with the truck empty and it’s dead level.

View attachment 2264491
Looks great (even at the mall;)) What size tires did you end up going with?

Looks great (even at the mall;)) What size tires did you end up going with?
285/70R17. I thought about 295/70R17 and think they would fit with maybe minor adjustments to avoid rubbing but decided that would be overkill for Mall duty... :eek:

So here’s a pic on a flat surface (not a mall this time!) with no weight in the back. Pretty level and I like the look. The issue is any weight in the back makes it sag. This is really the reason and purpose the stock vehicle has a forward rake. 200 lbs (me sitting on the tailgate) drops the rear about 1”.

Yes, I could adjust the front to lower it and get a 1” take empty. Removing the front struts I believe would require another alignment for $200. I’m not sure you could remove the struts without removing the UCAs.

Looking at it, I wonder if the struts could be adjusted without removing them. Has anyone done that?

I also like the height of the front as it is. To fix the rake and be flat with load I’d rather raise the rear an inch or so. I could change to 2722 or some other rear spring set but I really like the ride as it is now. Would rear spacers be an option?

Lastly, I can confirm that the 285/70/R17s corrects the speedo to dead nuts on compared to gps. I read that in another post and it’s certainly true.

42262559-0E78-4721-99CF-54300F1442AB.jpeg

C841108F-EC68-41A3-8A4B-5DD357319406.jpeg

So here’s a pic on a flat surface (not a mall this time!) with no weight in the back. Pretty level and I like the look. The issue is any weight in the back makes it sag. This is really the reason and purpose the stock vehicle has a forward rake. 200 lbs (me sitting on the tailgate) drops the rear about 1”.

Yes, I could adjust the front to lower it and get a 1” take empty. Removing the front struts I believe would require another alignment for $200. I’m not sure you could remove the struts without removing the UCAs.

Looking at it, I wonder if the struts could be adjusted without removing them. Has anyone done that?

I also like the height of the front as it is. To fix the rake and be flat with load I’d rather raise the rear an inch or so. I could change to 2722 or some other rear spring set but I really like the ride as it is now. Would rear spacers be an option?

Lastly, I can confirm that the 285/70/R17s corrects the speedo to dead nuts on compared to gps. I read that in another post and it’s certainly true.

View attachment 2266603

View attachment 2266604
I would still keep an eye on the speedo.. I'm running same size tires with a ~2" lift. Once I get up to 70mph is when the speedo is off by enough to make a difference. Learned the hard way with a speeding ticket, opened up waze after and sure enough it was off by enoguh to get me in trouble.

I’m running LT285/70R17 KO2s on Rock Warriors and my speedometer is dead on comparing the dial with GPS. Odometer is a different story ~5% off

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom