Box Rocket homemade trailer build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Small update (sorry no new pics). So I'm pretty much done with the trailer with the exception of the lid. The lid won't be a huge expense but I'm out of funds for a couple weeks until I can get another sheet of 16ga and a couple other peices for the lid frame. But the trailer is useable and I've dragged it around a few times just to see if I can find any issues.
Well one came up. I took it out on Sunday and and jacknifed it (on purpose) but did something stupid. I knew I was going to jacknife it and was waiting for the sound of the tongue bottoming out against my rear bumper and took my eyes of the mirror for a second. Well it turns out that the way my rear bumper is trimmed up toward the outside corners allows the tongue to not bottom out against the bumper but actually slide underneath the bumper. That, along with the lock-n-roll that allows it to rotate past 90* I jacknifed it a little too far and the top lip of the trailer tub came in contact with my rear fender flare on the Cruiser. Not a big deal (other than a crack in the fiberglass flare, since I wasn't paying attention), but I need to figure out a way to keep the trailer from over-rotating in a jacknife situation which will definitely need to happen from time to time on the trail.

Kinda hard to see from this picture but maybe you can see how my rear bumper slopes up (bottom edge) toward the corners and that the level of the tongue can pass underneath. I'm looking for suggestions on a way to limit the rotation during jacknife situations. Any thoughts?

_MG_3533.jpg

Edit: Maybe you can see the rear bumper better in this picture. I would have thought that the center portion of the bumper before it angles upward would contact the tongue but the distance of the point of rotation on the hitch away from the bumper face puts the tongue at an angle past 90* before the tongue contacts that center section of the bumper, letting the trailer tub come in contact with the truck.

_MG_1249.jpg

Just looking at this thread, and having not read the whole thing, this may be a redundant suggestion BUT mount your spare horizontally on the trailer tongue. So that the tire would contact your rear bumper in a jack-knife situation. Just a quick thought! :cheers:
Great family, truck and trailer too!

Last edited:
Just looking at this thread, and having not read the whole thing, this may be a redundant suggestion BUT mount your spare horizontally on the trailer tongue. So that the tire would contact your rear bumper in a jack-knife situation. Just a quick thought! :cheers:
Great family, truck and trailer too!

Thanks for the suggestion. That would work but between my fuel cans, my CO2 tank and my cooler rack my tongue is pretty much full.

so where it goes under is about 2' from the coupler? could you weld a little bracket on top of the tongue that would contact the bumper?

Like a piece of 2x2 pointing up. Make it kinda fancy decorative like tho...:hillbilly:

Finally found a decent swivel caster that I can bolt to the skid on my Harbor Freight tongue jack. Finally no more messing with a Jackstand under the tongue. Hoping to get it put together this weekend. I am using a jack with the little weld-on tube thing so the jack itself is removeable when not in use.

That's probably what I'll have to do. Shouldn't create too much of a problem getting things in or out.

On a brighter note. Jay dropped off the 80 wheels last night, so I'll be mounting up the 285s tomorrow and the postman brought a much anticipated peice of the puzzle today.

_MG_3268.jpg
I am searching for one of this coupler. by any chance do you remember where did you buy them?

Thanks. really haven't changed much with the trailer for a while. I did get rid of the 285's that were on it and now it has a set of 315's to match the cruiser. It works well for what I need right now. Eventually it will get a water tank, and full power, but it just hasn't been necessary yet.

Couple recent pics just because I haven't updated here in a while.....

camping in Moab a couple weeks ago.
_MG_5327.jpg

Camping at White Rocks in the spring
WhiteRocks_01.jpg

WhiteRocks_02.jpg

Your trailer build is amazing!!! You pretty much solved all the challenges I came up with, specially with the tent mount and the annex. Your lift system is great, and I plan on using a similar version if it on my trailer. I'm starting with a HF 4x8 trailer that I will chop to 4x6. The rest will be costumed built. For the uprights on your trailer, were those 1.5x1.5 square tubing that you used?

Sent from my iPhone

Your trailer build is amazing!!! You pretty much solved all the challenges I came up with, specially with the tent mount and the annex. Your lift system is great, and I plan on using a similar version if it on my trailer. I'm starting with a HF 4x8 trailer that I will chop to 4x6. The rest will be costumed built. For the uprights on your trailer, were those 1.5x1.5 square tubing that you used?

Sent from my iPhone

Thanks. Yes the uprights 1.5" sq tube.

That reminds me I haven't updated this thread with the latest mods on the trailer.

I moved the water cans to the sides of the trailer, added steps in front and behind the fenders. Built a swing out tire carrier, and a new telescoping rack for the RTT. Overall this configuration is working out great.

Here's some pics.

steps added front and rear of fenders with water cans mounted on the front step

Picked up a new Tepui Autana with annex

swing out tire carrier

latch is a simple hitch pin

hinges are simple ones I got from Northern Tool

rubber bumps to keep it snug to the tailgate.

Tent rack

uses a pop pin and gas strut on all 4 corners. Pull the pins and the tent raises to the proper height for the annex and locks in place.

There is a handle on each side to pull it back down. Easier to put it down with two people but if I'm alone I can close up the tent and climb on top and there's enough weight to lower the tent rack back down to the lower position

added a fuel can mount back to the front of the trailer, along with my CO2 tank. This helps to counter the weight of the tire carrier and keep the trailer balanced correctly with proper tongue weight.

Few pics from our summer trip to South Dakota

Little clip of the trailer down in the San Rafael Swell. Nothing special. I just wanted to show how the trailer tracks and rides and decent speeds even with the short/stiff trailer springs and no shocks. IMO it really does well. I do run the tires at a lower psi. Usually they are around 12-15psi and they absorb the bumps well and I've never had a problem with them heating up on the highway. The trailer is so light, even when loaded that the lower pressure is adequate.

:beer:After reading this thread twice now. My plan is to build virtually the same trailer. But I think 4'x8' will be the size (hauling motorcycles/snowmobile etc) Nice job I can only hope mine will turn out this nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom