Builds Box Rocket 1995 FZJ80 Build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Box Rocket

SILVER Star
Threads
Current Photo (Dec 2021)
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

1995 FZJ80 Moonglow Pearl "Rocinante"
Factory Lockers
Magnaflow high flow cats/exhaust
Nitro 4.88 R&Ps
3" 4xOverland Slinky HD Long Travel Coils
1" Body lift
Slinky 2.5 Stage5 dual bypass 12" travel shocks with rebound and compression adjustments.
Blackhawk adjustable upper rear control arms
Blackhawk HD lower rear control arms
Blackhawk HD rear swaybar
LCP swaybar disconnect
LCP rear HD Swaybar Links
Timbren AO bumpstops
Front axle relocation plates (axle moved 1.25" forward)
Slee Caster plates
DC Front driveshaft
Modified Trail Gear sliders
Custom homebuilt front bumper
Trail Tailor front recovery points
Custom homebuilt rear bumper with tire swingout, CO2 tank, fuel can
Prinsu Design Roof rack #001
Group31 Duracell Deep Cycle AGM Battery
ComeUp SEAL Gen2 9.5rs winch
LED-CoLight 9" Laser lights
LED-CoLight 4.5" Cube lights on roof x8
LED-Colight Rob2 Pro rear dust lights
LED headlights
Pfran LED interior lights/reverse lights
Arsenal 21" bumper LED
VW Jetta Seat Swap
LSeat replacement leather on 2nd row
DeltaVS Center Console
DeltaVS Shifter Console
Goose-Gear rear drawer system
Tepui Ruggedized RTT
Tepui 6' Awning
Snorkel
SnoMaster Fridge
Clearview EasySlide fridge Drop Slide
Onboard CO2
Pioneer in dash DVD/ RockfordFosgate 6.5" door speakers
drop down rear DVD player
Spidertrax 1.5" wheel spacers
37x13.5" Toyo Open Country MT
Icon Alloys 17x8.5" Rebounds - Zero Offset - Bronze
Uniden Pro 520XL CB Radio
Kenwood HAM radio
LED dash lights
Escape Gear dash cover
iPad Navigation using Gaia GPS/BadElf GPS

Day1 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

It's a bit of a project, but it's mostly just cosmetic. Clearcoat on the hood, roof and flares is peeling. Carpets aren't great. Front seats leather is torn. Minor dings consistent with age. Valve cover leaks a little and the distributor O-ring leaks a little. Front axle is due for complete service. None of that is too serious and I'll address that stuff pretty quickly once I've got the truck.

Immediate plans are to swap over bumpers, armor, suspension and tires from my '93. That includes, OME J springs, L shocks, adjustable panhards, caster plates, sway bar drops, ARB front bumper, Wildyoats rear bumper, TG sliders, and 315's. Then address the peeling paint. I also have a line on some "new" front seats that came out of a low mileage '97 anniversary edition truck that are in good shape with no tears in the leather. Those will likely get swapped in the same day of purchase. I'm in the process of getting a roofrack designed and built by Zscott that I think it going to be fantastic and that will carry my RTT. Should be in great shape at that point. I'm really looking forward to being back in an 80.

Here's my old 80 to give you an idea what stuff will come off of it.
IMG_1546 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Little background on this. My 1993 has over 300K miles on it. It has been parked for the last 2+ years because of some electrical issues that I haven't had time to sort out. As we got looking into fixing the '93 the electrical issues are probably easily addressed, but the motor still has over 300K miles on it and I would have it rebuilt to get it to be as reliable as I need it to be. So as we considered that cost it was more economical to find a "new" 80 with reasonable miles that I could swap my mods over to. That is what led us to this decision. Also, I will either sell off the '93 as is once the items are swapped over or part it out and will recoup some of the purchase cost of the new truck. So it should be a pretty cheap way for me to get back into a built and fully functional 80 series. I'm extremely excited about it.

Last edited:
I'm been searching but haven't found the exact info I'm looking for. I'm looking at a full set of wheel spacers for the new truck. I'd like to use the Spidertrax ones since I've been running a set of them on my Tacoma and they have worked out really well. My question is which part number should I be getting from Spidertrax? The ones on my Tacoma are lug AND hub centric with a raised ring at the center for the hub. Do I want the same style for the 80? Or do I want ones that don't have that ring and are just lug centric for the '95?

Adam, I have a second bumper all cut out and formed up, just needs some welding.. you know if you are interested..

Nice Adam. Can't wait to see the buildup

I used 1" wheel spacers from trail gear, it's been about 5 years so I don't remember the price, but know they were reasonable and they've held up through all the hell I've put the rig through over the 100k+ miles since installed...

80's are rad. :) Lemme know what you decide to do with the 93.:steer:

I used 1" wheel spacers from trail gear, it's been about 5 years so I don't remember the price, but know they were reasonable and they've held up through all the hell I've put the rig through over the 100k+ miles since installed...

Thanks. my question is less about whether or not to run spacers, but more about the type. Do I want hub or lug centric spacers for a '95?

Ok. you looking for a parts rig?
Not for parts, but maybe a driver for the :princess: so I can have mine back. Who knows, maybe it needs a V8?:flush:

Slightly premature, yes, but I'll hang out for the show :) glad to hear you are excited about the big purchase.

Starting out big with the mods. :) Everyone knows that 80s are in dire need of cup holders. So I picked up one of the popular Land Rover Discovery cup holders to add to the truck after I pick it up on Saturday.
discocupp-jpg.401270

Now onto something a bit bigger.......how bout some 345/75R16 BFG KM2s? Ordered a set of 5. Can't wait.

Double check your lugnuts, but a '95 should be hubcentric. If the lugnuts are acorn style(like your 93), it is lug centric. If they are flanged, it is hub centric.
thanks. Picking up the '95 in the morning and I'll take a look.

Got the new 80 home last night.

There are a few dings etc consistent with what you'd expect from a 20 year old car. Like a lot of 80s the front seats were trashed, split leather and bad foam. Before going to get the truck I got a lead on a pair of front seats in decent condition that were at a shop there in GJ. I arranged to go take a look at them after I bought the truck. It worked out great. It was a shop I'd never heard of called Metric Offroad that specializes in Cruisers. They had 20-30 trucks in the yard at the shop and the owner said he had another lot with another 40 trucks. A whole range of trucks from 40's to 80s and some 4runners and minitrucks too. Really cool guy and the seats he had were pretty dry but the leather was fully intact. We worked out a good deal on them with my new bad seats as partial trade. So the worst thing on the truck was fixed before I even got it home.

The rest of the issues with the truck are mostly cosmetic. The clearcoat is peeling on the hood, roof and flares. The front axle needs to be serviced and a couple other minor things looked at but it runs great and everything works. Even has lockers. The drive home was nice and it felt soooooo good to be back in an 80. The plan is to swap everything from my '93 over to it in the next few weeks. I'll use my OME J spring suspension, bumpers and sliders. I've ordered a set of 345/75R16's to go on the OEM wheels. So it should be ready to rock within the next month. My old 80 will get the suspension from this truck and keep the 315's that are on it and get the stock bumpers and then get sold cheap.

I already started cleaning up a few things. I painted the handles and the flares black and it is looking much better. I didn't get pics with the flares done yet so all you get is the handles.

Details:
1995 FZJ80
Moonglow Pearl
Tan interior
Factory lockers
Rancho 2.5" springs
285/75R16 General Grabbers
Naked roof (no roof rack from the factory)

Plans:
OME J springs, L shocks (from old 80)
Adjustable panhards (from old 80)
Slee Caster Plates (from old 80)
ARB front bumper (from old 80)
Wildyoats rear bumper (from old 80)
custom sliders
PrInSu roof rack
Tepui RTT
345/75R16 BFG KM2s
4.88's sometime down the road.
maybe a snorkel