Bow Tie Pig Restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So far I’m in $2500 and always have wanted a Pig.

Some questions you are going to need to ask yourself before you tear it down much further.

What is your ultimate goal with this pig?

How much of the work are you willing or capable of doing yourself?

How much money and time are you willing to spend and is that a realistic number to get to your ultimate goal?

You have a few options at this point and these are two of the best examples.

Patch the body together to best of your ability and with some help from some friends keep this pig running and go make some life memories driving the wheels off it. @wngrog has use spray foam, chunks of steel and spray paint to patch his body back together and built an iconic pig that most of us would be proud to call our own.

Builds - The Warthog - 1977/73 combo

Put a big chunk of your time and money in the kitchen sink then throw that at your pig and tear it completely down and restore it and then go make some life memories driving the wheels off it. @scrapdaddy has set the bar for what can be done given enough time, money and ability and again built an iconic pig that most of us would be proud to call our own.

SLOW 71

If you look through those two build threads you’ll see that finding an old street sign and pop rivet it to your floor to keep your feet on the inside or putting your body on a rotisserie and replacing the entire floor with custom one off patch panels are both right answers, the best pig is one you can drive everything after that is secondary so if you keep your goals within your time, money and ability then your pig has the potential to be another great one that most of us would be proud to call our own.

Last edited:
This thread popped up in new post. Now I get sucked into reading about another project. Based on what I have seen here it is not too bad. Stop the rust now with somebodies chemical of choice. Also washing underneath your car seems to be lost on people. Pressure wash it and see what blows off.

I appreciate all the replies. I think it’s solid enough to drive and patch as I go. Worst part is the driver floor pan, no doubt.

Heading to Home Depot for a grinder and pads this weekend. Let’s get into it! 💪
Let's do this!

Happy Thanksgiving!

I managed to sneak in some time on the Pig this weekend. Got her on a main road for the first time and to the car wash (and back, most importantly). Changed the rear diff fluid but that’s about it.

As promised, picked up some tools for this next step of the journey. Any objections on the equipment?

15C508AA-221D-4D2B-A90B-9F8442D2E454.jpeg

F035A803-0387-4F7C-B776-1080EF083E4D.jpeg

Alright team, quick update and would love some direction. I tested out the flap disc tonight on the front bumper... first time using a grinder and boy was I amazed! Haha.

Any special techniques or suggestions as I grind away? My plan is to try and strip as much as I can and coat with some kind of sealant. I heard priming is a no-no as it absorbs moisture and will cause rust unless painting right away. Will POR15 work as I grind and clean?

On a side note, I was thinking of putting these suckers on the Pig, got them in a box when I bought my 40. Also open to selling them to fund future resto parts/metal work.

Thanks in advance!

88767DAB-3305-4BED-8330-24C97076EE3E.jpeg

D9F1689D-0F32-4D4B-8F6A-33B8BAEA52A8.jpeg

AA0E8777-297D-47DB-A9DD-A2ED1B2F5611.jpeg

For surface rust removal and the like, keep the sanding disc flat and avoid angling to dig (unless that’s what you want to do). If you need to shape, remove weld, ect.., use a grinding disc and angle it more until you get close to the level you want, then change to less aggressive sanding discs (36 grit, 50 grit) for blending.

It feels kind of silly for me to make a safety add (like some cheesy OSHA video), but get yourself a good pair of safety glasses or a face shield (whatever you think you’ll actually use), and some ear muffs. A lot of people don’t, but I wear N95 masks anytime I plan on grinding for more than a minute. Gloves of course. Try to avoid grinding in shorts if at all possible.

I would remove the bumper; otherwise you will never get the back side. Are you going to leave the end bent and paint it like that or try to straighten it? Just curious. I'm not a paint expert so maybe others will chime in but I don't see any reason why you can't prime as you go and then paint.

I would remove the bumper; otherwise you will never get the back side. Are you going to leave the end bent and paint it like that or try to straighten it? Just curious. I'm not a paint expert so maybe others will chime in but I don't see any reason why you can't prime as you go and then paint.
Planning to straighten it and then cut the ends a bit. Good idea to remove the bumper. I think I’ll end up stripping things down more than I imagine once we get into full swing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom