Bow Tie Pig Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm not a pig pro but I've made a thing or two with steel.
To answer you question"yes anything is possible and that body can be repaired and be safe when you're done" but it won't be inexpensive and unless you are willing to jump in and do some of the metal work yourself it could be cost prohibitive.

Yeah man, anything can be made/done/repaired/fixed/built. Anything and everything.

As long as the chassis and steering is structurally safe and the body some how is firmly attached. Cobble on sheet metal where its need and go have fun in the mountains. Fix things as you have time Or need to. Rat rides are Just as fun to drive in the mountains as sorted out rigs. The fj55 is the most durable ride ever built short of a few body parts.

Enjoy what is there

I'm not a pig pro but I've made a thing or two with steel.
To answer you question"yes anything is possible and that body can be repaired and be safe when you're done" but it won't be inexpensive and unless you are willing to jump in and do some of the metal work yourself it could be cost prohibitive.
What classifies as cost prohibitive? Ha! I unfortunately will have to sub contract the metal work. My next move is to gut the interior and see what im working with. More to come.

Have you done any sheetmetal welding/fabrication work before?

You might be able to use some of the fender lip from the old beat-up front fender to repair the rusted out rear fender lip.
Never done any metal work. This build will have to rely on the body work of others for sure.

As long as the chassis and steering is structurally safe and the body some how is firmly attached. Cobble on sheet metal where its need and go have fun in the mountains. Fix things as you have time Or need to. Rat rides are Just as fun to drive in the mountains as sorted out rigs. The fj55 is the most durable ride ever built short of a few body parts.

Enjoy what is there
Yes! Definitely plan to start having fun ASAP. However, she needs to be safe. Would eventually like her sorted and not just patched. A tear down is in the near future to see where all the weak spots are.

What classifies as cost prohibitive?
Only you can answer that question.

This build will have to rely on the body work of others for sure.
You know the saying "Fast, Good, Cheap" you cant have all three.
We've seen more than one 55 project abandoned at the body and paint phase because of high cost, poor quality or the body guy just gives up in the middle of the project.

My best advice would be “A” get a little welder and learn to weld and patch this pig a little at a time while you drive it working out the other bugs. Or “B” find a reputable body shop willing to take the job and agree on a price “before” you completely take it apart, that body could take years and tens of thousands of dollars to complete using outside labor.

Good luck, have fun!

Good time to ask a Pig pro question... can these pieces be fabricated by a good metal worker? Or is this a nonstarter and beyond repair? I’m assuming this can be fixed over time. My main concern is safety. Floor pans are first on the list, body mounts as well. Then visual appeal.

It can be done. Listen to the advice of the Experts here on the PIG forum. Many factors to consider based on your needs, desires, patience, money, significant other etc. etc. etc.

It's worth the effort. Look at the big picture and knock off one task at a time. Not sure you'll ever get to the end? At least I haven't found it? But it's a fun and satisfying journey.

Was able to find some time to wrench on the old girl today! Changed the oil, new battery and added some coolant.

Busted a few screws while taking off the upper fender. Will need some advice on how to tap them out. Also, uploading a video soon! Stay tuned.

3F68E41C-3F16-4DC1-8583-24B64EC5564F.jpeg

72B6846B-DF2B-4878-8949-DEFB3E5C7A9A.jpeg

01D9D560-2A4F-4F56-89CF-2B24573CD2F4.jpeg

77B9CBA0-B778-4A2F-AA88-3A458D9FA765.jpeg

94D90C67-FA74-4760-A459-493B4D7D91A8.jpeg

78! Grill is terrible. Still negotiating to get the original from the PO. He says this one is much better for cooling. I think he may just want to sell the original.

I have a grille I can send you mate!
Hit me on the PM.

Last edited:
Those fender pieces certainly help the project. I'm worried about the rear wheel wells and roof gutter, etc. You'll be on your own there, no aftermarket pieces that I know of.

Paging @bobm - clean up needed in aisle 3!

Nice; Land Cruisers had "cigar" lighters instead of cigarette lighters. $100 for an AM radio.....too cool. Nice that it has/had A/C. You might need to upgrade some parts but it's good to have the interior parts.

I think all those Toyota engineers fancied a good cigar vs cigarettes.
They would pile 8 of them (all "husky men") in there and go tearing around at 75 MPH smoking like chimneys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom