BOV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tapage

Club 4X4 Panamá
Threads
Website
www.4x4panama.com
I know .. maybe a waste of time and money, but I like this sound .. so I'm thinking in a cheap BOV that allow me make this sound and keep away from my turbo boost spyke ( 1.5 - 2 PSI aprox ) when I push it hard ..

Any recomendations in this way .. ?

thanks !

just leave her be unless the pssssst noise is your objective you have a butter fly valve and when it shuts i think that is when the spike happens (is your boost guage before the butterfly valve?)

i have a question for you (well more of a comparison) at idle does your boost guage flutter (the pointer) from vac to psi? cuz mine does almost all the time is it a shaty guage or just pulses from the engine what are your ideas?
thanks much

I think it would be a good idea, as that boost spike may try to stall your turbo (not good). I believe every turbo's vehicle with a throttle should have some sort of BOV so that when the throttle shuts, the air doesn't back up in the intake and slow down your turbo. Plus, I agree they sound cool.

My boost gauge it's at the Throtle body before the buterfly ... but I'm not geting vacc ( don't flutter ) at idle .. maybe coz my VDO haven't vacc :doh:

Any recomentadions in BOV . ?

Ah very Good,. on the High Performance 2lte I had I ran a HKS Super Sequential B. O. V. that would purge at 6-8lbs boost. I would run max boost at 18lbs all day trying to keep up with the 13B-ts and 12H-ts in the club runs a couple of years ago. The Good BOVs are so much easier on the shaft bearing because it is not trying to stall the turbo every time you close the throttle, HKS , APEX and TURBONETICS, get a non vacuum activated one . I installed mine on the intake cross bar(turbo to manifold) Tapage I will try to get pics for you

Much apreciated those pics Prado T

Tapage said:
Just call me the "Mud and the Furious"

Last edited by a moderator:
if you're installing a BOV just for sound I gotta laugh. might have to give you a nickname.......

I can't see the BOV gaining anything on a brick of a truck. like the spool up time will make a difference. :rolleyes:

so what kinda of name do we need to call Tapage :) ricerboy...? Ah the "mud and the furious"...

Ah David all for fun.... see your last post on here.....I modified it :) :lol:

C,Mon I am being serious here Otterav and you B.B dont forget are cruisers are made in the land of RICE ther is something you do gain with a BOV in a TURBO DIESEL is spool up time

C,Mon I am being serious here Otterav and you B.B dont forget are cruisers are made in the land of RICE ther is something you do gain with a BOV in a TURBO DIESEL is spool up time

The conclusion in other parts of Mud was that the term "ricer" was referring to the boy racer type import done up like the fast and furious. Not a Toyota truck. Unless it is lowered and rodded with big tailpipe to sound like a dead cat.

Spool up time doesn't change. What changes is the lose in between shifts of the turbo having to re-spool. But honestly this is a cruiser that takes 16 seconds to get to 60, still only have 140 hp and is slow anyhow. how much change do you figure the BOV is going to give in terms of "quick shifts" and power band retention......? I doubt it make a difference in the 0-60 times. And if it does it's marginal...and debatable. As who really cares how fast the brick accelerates.

But it will sound cool when it dumps air. This I agree with.

I`m getting a loud bov noise from my wastegate at low rpms when i button off quickly.
The 1hdft 4valve head moves greater flow when tuned with exhaust & intercooler making the wee stock turbo unhappy.

The conclusion in other parts of Mud was that the term "ricer" was referring to the boy racer type import done up like the fast and furious. Not a Toyota truck. Unless it is lowered and rodded with big tailpipe to sound like a dead cat.

Spool up time doesn't change. What changes is the lose in between shifts of the turbo having to re-spool. But honestly this is a cruiser that takes 16 seconds to get to 60, still only have 140 hp and is slow anyhow. how much change do you figure the BOV is going to give in terms of "quick shifts" and power band retention......? I doubt it make a difference in the 0-60 times. And if it does it's marginal...and debatable. As who really cares how fast the brick accelerates.

But it will sound cool when it dumps air. This I agree with.

Hey B.B I live in the land of ricers integras, fairladys, skylines, of course it doesnt make a diesel faster, I mentioned it does extend the life of the turbo shaft bearing , if you have a large aftermarket exhaust it does sound nice spooling up after every shift, if it is stock exhaust its hard to tell if there is a turbo there

Ah David all for fun.... see your last post on here.....I modified it :) :lol:

:lol: ok ok ok ok ok .. are not only for the sound ( but it's a great part ) it's also for the spyke, so .. I'm not a totaly ricer .. :eek:

Here is some interesting reading about BOV.

Basicly when you run high pressure it help prevent early turbo failure due to higher then normal pressure when the throttle butterfly close.

BOV

ive got a turbo'd 3b in my 45 and ive got the fuel cranked up pretty good it almost touches 20psi of boost with the gauge in the manifold below the throttle plate
i installed a greddy BOV and honestly im not sure that it even pops off unless im being fairly ruthless and basicly side step the throttle pedal to slam the throttle plate shut
i know one thing for sure and it shure doesnt sound like a gas engine with a BOV
another thing with the engine idling there is very little vaccum in the intake and i think that is why it doesnt pop off like a gasser because they would have probably at least 12 inches of vaccum and ive got around 1 or 2
i took one spring out of it (there was two) but then it leaks boost once i start getting close to 20 psi
im still in the testing stages of this engine and have everything all apart again because im putting on a different air to air and radiator

Last edited:
What PSI do you have the BOV set to open? Cause if it is at 20, then I doubt your getting much above 20 on the turbo to open the BOV.

20 PSI sounds too high for an IDI engine....IMOP. Bring is back to 14-15 with the BOV set at a PSI or two above the wastegate. Then when you let off the throttle between hard shifts when the spike occurs it will open the BOV and bump the pressure.

My wastegate is at 12-13 psi, when I shift hard under throttle it spikes to 15 on the boost gauge. So I would set the BOV to 14 psi.... Although I have no idea how that is done.

Adding to the BB comments ... backing your boost little down, I'm runing a cheap BOV and you can see my vis on the web .. my BOV do the job and at 12 + PSI I have enought vaccum to open it ... where do you get the BOV sigal ..?

im a little confused
when you are talking the pressure that i have the bov set to open are you meaning a wastegate or a blow off valve
isnt the reason people run a blow off valve to reduce or eleminate the surge coming back on your turbos thrust bearings when you slap the throttle plate shut during a shift or decel
and then the wastegate controls the amount of boost your puttin in the engine
i closed my wastegate right off to try to pump more air into the engine and help cool down my pyro

what does IDI stand for ? indirect injection ?

i noticed my boost spikes like you said yours does and then when i moved my boost gauge below the throttle plate it didnt spike so i assumed that must be the surge that people talk about so i installed my blow off valve and when i check my boost above the throttle plate it still spikes when shifting hard that is why i was thinkin that my bov didnt work the way it was supposed to

i hope i dont sound like some kinda know it all because im not i love diesel engines and work on them everyday but they are in class 8 trucks and i dont get the oppertunity to soup them up that is why i try to get the most out of my own

also my signal line is in the intake manifold below the throttle plate i took out a sensor that wasnt hooked up and installed the signal line in there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom