Bourbon Thread. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
image.jpg

I usually embibe with Woodford Reserve. Thought I would try something different. They had two bottles of Pappy, both bottles would sell for 2400 bucks. If mods want to combine this with beer thread ok by me.

I went to Woodford this summer. Unbelievably beautiful.

Bourbon? Meh. Too expensive.

I also went to Four Roses. It's a pit.

Bourbon? Excellent. In fact, I've gone to the yellow label on ice over the small batch.

Like my cigars. I found one I like. I'm done.

Kinda like red heads and cruisers?

The only reason i tried 4 roses is thats the only bourbon I recall seeing CL guys take pics off. Hope I like it.

Did someone say bourbon?

Worth every drop of $25
20151120_194822.jpg

That Elijah is one of the few aged bourbons (12 years) at a reasonable price (the 23 year old is shizzle). That and 4R are the best "values" for decent swill and I will generally grab either one on usual trip to the store. Every now and then I will grab a bottle of makers because, like Nolen, I am a sucker for a good red head.

Pappy 20 year will ruin you. Don't try it unless you have the time, money and connections to get it in your stash ( I don't and that makes me sad). Anything by buffalo trace distillery is generally good. Buillet is trendy but it gives me a headache (which is ironic because I think it's bottled at the four roses distillery).

A lot of the distillers have quit aging their mash (to be called "bouboun" there is only a 2-year aging minimum). So, if doesn't say "aged -- years" on the bottle and just says "-- proof" you are getting the s***ty bourbon with minimum aging with a brand label slapped on it.

Some others to consider:

Jefferson select
Blantons (bonus points for cool bottle)

Some resources:

The Bourbon Renaissance

10 Essential Bottles of Bourbon

Bourbon drinkers - Drake Magazine Online

Last edited:
Blantons is the shiznit but I tend to drink Woodford because it is cheap at Sams.

I hope you didn't mix either of those with the Coke in the background. Ice and a raindrop of water is the way to drink good bourbon.

That Elijah is one of the few aged bourbons (12 years) at a reasonable price (the 23 year old is shizzle). That and 4R are the best "values" for decent swill and I will generally grab either one on usual trip to the store. Every now and then I will grab a bottle of makers because, like Nolen, I am a sucker for a good red head.

Pappy 20 year will ruin you. Don't try it unless you have the time, money and connections to get it in your stash ( I don't and that makes me sad). Anything by buffalo trace distillery is generally good. Buillet is trendy but it gives me a headache (which is ironic because I think it's bottled at the four roses distillery).

A lot of the distillers have quit aging their mash (to be called "bouboun" there is only a 2-year aging minimum). So, if doesn't say "aged -- years" on the bottle and just says "-- proof" you are getting the s***ty bourbon with minimum aging with a brand label slapped on it.

Some others to consider:

Jefferson select
Blantons (bonus points for cool bottle)

Some resources:

The Bourbon Renaissance

10 Essential Bottles of Bourbon

Bourbon drinkers - Drake Magazine Online
You sound like the lead man for a bourbon trail... good stuff

I'll take the 94 proof any day over 80

OMG... LOL

Just a heads up but if you are around Briarwood Wine and Spirits tomorrow Nathan is going to give away a bottle of Pappy Van Winkle. One entry per person no purchase necessary and he will draw a name tomorrow evening.

Nathan has a great selection of wine as well as spirits and is a great guy. Buy local...

I've been gifted nice bottles before: Bookers and Jefferson Reserve. I really liked the Bookers, but it's too pricey for the frequency in which I empty a bottle. My DD, so to speak, is Bulleit. I usually like it neat, but sometimes I'll add two cubes, a splash of Aperol or Amaro & lemon juice.

I roll with Old Forrester. My motto my tongue doesn't need to know there is better. It was the first and to me the last. Put it over some iced tea and that my friends is a great drink.

I know it is not in Style....but it should tried before you talk trash about it.

There are many other great bourbon's to be drank. No a TN Whiskey fan but would drink it with my grandmother. Same with Scotch.....will still drink it with my 92yr old grandfather.

Old Forrester and Miller Lite...they just go hand and hand.

I usually like my bourbon by its own self.

The only exception is a Manhattan. Jefferson's is a legit bourbon, so I decided to try it. Good. Be Perfect with a campfire and a smoke.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom