For Sale Boulder CO 1997 40th Unmolested (no lockers) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Mileage
Color
rgb(187, 172, 172)
Outside Link
https://www.boulderh.com/inventory/1997-toyota-land-cruiser-/319373
"Affordable" decent condition 97 40th Edition under $10k for someone starting out wanting to customize their cruiser their way.

284k Miles $9,988

Recent work over the last few months, REBUILT FRONT KNUCKLES WITH NEW KNUCKLE AND WHEEL BEARINGS, NEW BIRFIELD JOINTS, NEW TIE ROD ENDS, NEW FRONT BRAKE DISCS AND PADS, NEW STEERING DAMPNER, NEW WINDSHIELD. Note Vehicle has Automatic 4WD; NO DIFF LOCKERS.

Link to seller; 533rd 40th Cruiser

I ended up picking up this ride :)

There were several issues at delivery but the dealer ended up making it right. Good people. She's getting a nice overhaul on "urgent issues" - many leaks, suspension, radiator, hoses, steering pump, and the bearings were not done properly to my surprise. The frame is good (Thank God). Going to put money into all areas (Full sand and Paint, Full new Interior, Suspension, Engine overhaul). I've just put $7k into all the mechanicals and will be picking it back up today/tomorrow... She's been in the shop since I got her a couple weeks ago.

New leather should be delivered tomorrow from LCH and full "Essex" carpet came in from ACC last week. Nice little refresh. While at upholstery shop, I'm getting a new headliner and full Dynamat done. This will be a weekend cruiser not a full off-road project. More like "factory-plus".

PO did a lot of work on 8/2019 with 275k on the clock (baseline). The only thing that wasn't done was HG which was replaced at Toyota in 2005 with 170k on the clock. With the miles, I'm thinking either do a proper rebuild. I like the idea of an LS but I really want this to stay original. Nice bonus it had all the keys, owners manuals, plenty of receipts, factory alarm still works, original 40th floor mats in decent condition, and it passed CA emissions on first go! I can't wait for her to be done. I had a 91 years ago and so glad to have another 80.
This has been fun to follow so far! Hope it turns out awesome. What’s your plan? Daily driver? Keep it forever?

For those interested, new steering wheel came in today (much sooner than expected) and it looks awesome. I’ll likely transfer all these photos to a “Build” thread when I get the car back from body shop in a couple weeks.

Stitch is very tight and the leather is very soft. A little thicker than the wheel it replaces.. but I think that’s just due to age/wear. Very happy so far.

EC0BC00D-4EF6-4B54-9F68-A7B6DBBA20BD.jpeg

C9686C2E-0F2B-427A-8827-6F11A5F96F96.jpeg

A670FED9-05B5-4881-9BBF-B1BA5D8BC519.jpeg

What height is the lift. Like the stance?
Slee's web site listed two kits. I ordered the 860 2" Old Man Emu kit. It is 2 or 2.4" depending on where it is listed for sale. The combo of the 315/75 tires and the lift make it about 6" taller.

Rides and drives fantastic. I am really surprised how well it handles.

Last edited:
Slee's web site listed two kits. I ordered the 860 2" Old Man Emu kit. It is 2 or 2.4" depending on where it is listed for sale. The combo of the 315/75 tires and the lift make it about 6" taller.

Rides and drives fantastic. I am really surprised how well is handles.
Caster corrections? Or any other mod because of the lift?

Caster corrections? Or any other mod because of the lift?
Yes, the entire kit comes with shocks, springs, and caster correction inserts/bushings. I think it was $1,200. Seems like a lot but the result is fantastic.

RKT

One interesting side note on the wheels. Ralph said that the grey color will be slightly darker than expected. He is correct. He said that the gray fades over time and the fresh paint is a bit dark to the eye. Looking at the photos and comparing my old wheels to the new set, I agree. If you are really wanting the lighter color, spend a bit of time with the restoration service to ensure the right color. My guess is that the restoration shops only have a few colors pre-mixed and loaded in their guns each day to improve productivity and cut costs, however, if you look at the original press photos and ads of the 40th anniversary and collectors editions the wheels do look very dark.

Just a thought, you seem very detail oriented and that is one thing I have learned in my wheel rabbit hole:)
Speaking of great looking wheels, check these out @ 1995 Toyota Land Cruiser FZJ80 - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1995-toyota-land-cruiser-23/

Awesome! I’ll take a look locally to see if I can find a nice oem set. The body shop says they have a guy that can do them but I’m waiting on a quote...

The leather came in as well as the stickers etc. Color and design are great... they also seem very durable. Not as “soft” as I expected for both the foam/leather. I went with the 100% leather option. It all looks very nice. The only thing I don’t like is the logo tag on seat bottoms lol.

View attachment 2617298

View attachment 2617299

View attachment 2617300

View attachment 2617301

View attachment 2617302
hey quick question------ are the oem 40th anniversary rug / mats still available? Long story but I have a set of brand new / still in package set ---40th edition brown mats....my 40th edition is gone.

They are no longer available.

Back from paint yet?

Look forward to following your future build thread...

Back from paint yet?

Look forward to following your future build thread...
Yup! Just picked it back up and it looks incredible. I dropped it right off to my technician to put a new OEM exhaust and Landtank seat extender. I’ll get photos up and a build thread going soon. I don’t want to clog the classifieds 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom