Builds Bought our newborn a Toy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Center Arm Assembly:

This is how it's put together, the highlighted parts are included in the rebuild kit (Although the seal is just one piece):

1639878641117.png

I had a bit of a setback with the pitman arm. Not sure if it was because of the paint in the grooves or what, but it just wasn't sitting right. So I ended up damaging it 🤬:

IMG_7654.jpeg

when compared to the OEM the grooves look very different:

IMG_7656.jpeg

the OEM piece went on no problem, so I decided to disassemble it again, plate the old part and put it back:

IMG_7658.jpeg

the final results:

IMG_7708.jpeg

I might re-plate the top piece again, it came out a little dark. So overall I only used the seal from the kit, plus the sleeve inside the center arm and the nuts and bolts.

Steering Box Rebuild:

I have a manual steering box, and I'd say the rebuild is not difficult (if you don't go too far like I did, more on that later). Here is the diagram from the FSM:

Steering Box.png

the highlighted parts are all available from Toyota so I got them. Here is the parts cleaned, and painted, with some pieces plated.

IMG_7584.jpeg

IMG_7669.jpeg

and the end results:

IMG_7700.jpeg

IMG_7691.jpeg

IMG_7690.jpeg

Steering Box Rebuild:

for reference the relevant pages of FSM are the following. It talks about setting the pre-load, which I haven't done yet. I am not sure how to do it, maybe with a piece of string? I put the same thickness shims so it should be in the same ball park of the correct pre-load. Below also states the torque values for the top bolts, changing these will impact the pre-load I believe, so they should be followed.

IMG_7674.jpeg

Last picture above is very important during the installation.

IMG_7675.jpeg
IMG_7676.jpeg

Last edited:
Steering Box Rebuild (Extra Material):

As I said above I went a bit too far with the dis-assembly and took apart the steering worm, which the FSM says not to take apart 🤪

This is how it is disassembled.

IMG_7661.jpeg

Hopefully you don't go too far like I did, but if you do with the help of others I covered the process of how to put it back together in another thread here:

Last edited:
Steering Knuckle and Wheel Bearing Rebuild:

This one is a big one, and very messy. So far I've done the disassembly, clean up and painting of the parts. For the disassembly the videos by 40 channel on YouTube was very helpful:

This is the overall diagram if you have disc brakes:

Overall.png

The wheel section is this, this diagram includes the locking hub:

Wheel Bearing.png

available parts from Toyota are highlighted.

And finally the knuckle with the available parts from Toyota highlighted:

Knuckle.png

I am loosing track of all the pieces, so decided to have a color scheme of for the sub-components (green/red checks above).

The disassembly above is not overall bad. You'll need size 54 mm socket, I bought this one:

Amazon product ASIN B0796VMRDD

one thing I really struggled with was taking out the dowels, it took me more than an hour just to take out the first set. Use a lot of penetrating fluid and leave it, and try hitting the arm with a punch from under it. Just be patient overall. Also have A LOT of paper towel, I mean a lot, the knuckle is packed with grease and cleaning all the parts take a long time.

Steering Knuckle and Wheel Bearing Rebuild (continued):

I have seen steering knuckle kits available online from different websites. I did consider buying them, but after comparing the prices with Toyota with the discounts I was getting I decided to go directly with Toyota. Also this way I got to study everything, make a list and know what I am buying. It's an enjoyable process if you're not on a time crunch like me.

There are a lot of parts for this little section, had no idea:

IMG_7740.jpeg

All the parts are cleaned, and painted. Masking them took a long time:

IMG_7314.jpeg

IMG_7769.jpeg

I am ready to assemble everything, except that I decided to re-plate all the nuts and bolts. They were in good condition as most were covered in grease for years and still had the original Zinc plating on them. But I couldn't bring myself to not have them new and shiny so the assembly will have to wait a bit.

Wow. Your son better appreciate the detail you've gone into, uh, for him.

I recently became a father and thought of doing something for my son. Initially I thought about putting some money away for him. Although I will probably do that anyways I thought building a Land Cruiser that I can give him when he grows up would be more special. Plus they're going up in value so it's hopefully a good investment as well.

I also thought it would be a good idea to document things so when he grows up a bit he can follow what was done and appreciate the car. I do have some conditions on giving him the car and one of them is requiring him to know the car very well. Other conditions are: not selling the car without my consent, helping me rebuild an FJ45 or my Toyota pickup, or both.

I had been casually looking for an FJ45 for myself for a while. But my search for the FJ40 was very brief (only a few days) and I bought the very first FJ40 I saw. I liked the car only after few minutes, moreover I really liked the owner (Brian) and his teenage son (Jack). They were moving out of state and listed this FJ40 for sale. They had done quite a bit of work on it already, but it was time for them to let it go as they had a lot of other classics to take with them. Brian had agreed to sell me the car for $10k which was my max budget, he was asking $12.5k. When I went there he didn't remember our agreement as well as I hoped, and others were calling him while I was there offering him the asking price. But Jack was quick to step in and remind his father of his word. I was very impressed by the honest young man. Based on the condition of the car, the amount of work that they had already done on it (and the quality of it), and all the parts the car came with I thought the price was really good.

Here are few pictures of the first day:

View attachment 2766936View attachment 2766937

We signed the title and I send him a deposit since the banks were closed that day (July 5th). I loaded up what I could in my 100 series Land Cruiser and headed back. Brian offered to bring the FJ40 the next morning (over 2 hours one way).

View attachment 2766940
View attachment 2766939
Your assuming a lot.
Having raise two beautiful children I can say they don't always have the same interest that you do.
Well I hope you Son is interested in Cars and 4x4 he may not have any interest in them at all.
My kid as long as they were good kids were getting good grades in school, respected the elders, and were kind to others the were allowed to participate in the activities they chose.
I have be a car Guy all my life 4x4 in particular so naturally I wanted my son to be interested but he had no interest at all, hell he did not even get his license tell he went to College and his Mom and I told him were not driving you around any more!!!
That being said he always got straight As and took advanced placement classes. for that he was allowed more computer time then I liked. but it was what he loves and it ended up paying off.
He now works for Google, In my eyes he knocked it out of the park. A fine young Man making more money then I could have dreamed and doing what he loves.
But letting him do what he liked he flourished.
IMHO it would be better to start putting away monies for his college education so he can graduate without any debt like my kids did, Again IMHO it's the greatest gift a parent can give.
Lastly a Gift is not a gift if it come with strings attached.

My apologies in advance as none of this is any of my business ;)

:cheers:

Last edited:
Your assuming a lot.
Having raise two beautiful children I can say they don't always have the same interest that you do.
Well I hope you Son is interested in Cars and 4x4 he may not have any interest in them at all.
My kid as long as they were good kids were getting good grades in school, respected the elders, and were kind to others the were allowed to participate in the activities they chose.
I have be a car Guy all my life 4x4 in particular so naturally I wanted my son to be interested but he had no interest at all, hell he did not even get his license tell he went to College and his Mom and I told him were not driving you around any more!!!
That being said he always got straight As and took advanced placement classes. for that he was allowed more computer time then I liked. but it was what he loves and it ended up paying off.
He now works for Google, In my eyes he knocked it out of the park. A fine young Man making more money then I could have dreamed and doing what he loves.
But letting him do what he liked he flourished.
IMHO it would be better to start putting away monies for his college education so he can graduate without any debt like my kids did, Again IMHO it's the greatest gift a parent can give.
Lastly a Gift is not a gift if it come with strings attached.

My apologies in advance as none of this any of my business ;)

:cheers:
Thanks for your very insightful words, I do really appreciate them and it’s lovely to read how proud you’re of your son even though he’s very different in his interests. Yes I’m assuming a lot because I don’t know any better 😊 I have been so excited about being a father that I wanted to do something special for him. I’m still putting money away but I wanted something with an emotional attachment that meant something to him. My grandpa had a brake shop (just passed away from Covid) and later my dad was in car business also. Growing up I was very much like your son, straight A’s and more interested in computers etc… heck I even now work for one of those companies like your son. I also never had much interest early on, but later became more interested in motorcycles and cars. I felt it was easier for me to pick it up because I had seen it done around me so much. With these careers I feel like there is a need for something completely different , like cars or carpentry, more old school skills. Otherwise I’m always behind a computer. My grandpa tried showing me how to change drum brakes when I was small but I didn’t really picked it up. But now I look at this old rusty car, with the carb, rear drum brakes, smell of gas and all I remember is him and his dirty hands. Reviving this FJ40 feels like I’m bringing part of him back. Anyways, point being, maybe you’re assuming too, or maybe not ( not trying to contradict you). I’m just offering another perspective. It’s possible for people to change and pick up new interests later in life. But even if he doesn’t, as you said I’m happy if he does well, is healthy and tries his best at what he loves. This car is just an example for him, of how to put effort into building something with passion and not doing a half-ass job. That has been the key to get me where I am in life. The car itself is not as important for me as the lesson, or hope that it’s not, it’s really easy to get obsessed with these cars. Your assessment is correct though, I have a lot to learn and don’t know what I’m talking about, both with having a kid and restoring an FJ40. But I’m learning and trying so I will take your words and prepare to be flexible 😊 again appreciate your thoughts.

Wow! incredible being done. you are really going all out on this build. Good job. it is going to be a very clean looking rig.

What a inspiring job for us planning such refurbisment/rebuild tasks!:clap:
Greetings from Low Saxony and Merry Christmas !

Last edited:
Wow! incredible being done. you are really going all out on this build. Good job. it is going to be a very clean looking rig.
What a inspiring job for us planning such refurbisment/rebuild tasks!:clap:
Greetings from Low Saxony and merry chrismas !
Thanks guys, I’m looking forward to work on it again after the holidays. It’s quite addictive.

Merry Christmas to all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom