Bought my first40 and Im only 55yrs old. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You are right about the great stress relief :steer:

I was 25 when I got mine. Now it's 40 and I'm 58.

Electrical

Im having a problem with the front and rear heater fans. Im most concerned with the front one. The previous owner "old Pete" had a shade tree repair on the heater wiring out on the firewall side of things. could someone send me a pict of a "healthy, working unit" I would like to compare what he has cut off and added.
Also, the horns will not work. I tested the horns individually with a jumper and they are good. I got
a replacement horn relay and installed it, also checked all fuses. still no horn.
And last, the flashers will not acitvate. I removed & disassembled the flasher switch, cleaned all contacts and re- lubed with correct lubricant. still no flashers. All other lights , including the one under the dashpad shining on the controll knobs are working. All blinkers ,brake, turn signals, and instrument cluster work.
So, Im close but not there yet. HELP!:confused:

I realize yours is a '73, but you'd be welcome to take a look at my '80 (12/79 build) with relatively unmolested wiring if it would help. I'm out-of-town on business right now but I'll be back by Sunday or early next week.

Also, the horns will not work. I tested the horns individually with a jumper and they are good. I got a replacement horn relay and installed it, also checked all fuses. still no horn.

assuming you have the older style steering wheel with the center Toyota horn button:

the horn switch in the steering wheel may not work (if the steering wheel nut is too tight, the horn contact plate may not have enough springiness to flex), or the horn contact brush that bridges from the switch to the wiring may need to be replaced or may have slipped off the contact ring (I know a really cheap and simple fix for that ;)) - cumbersome to get to, but not impossible

post some pics of what you find

Last edited:
Had one in my 20's and sold it to make room for more kids. Finally found another when I was 54 and won't part with it ever. Don't drive my truck unless I have to, the cruiser is how I roll.

great thread. yalls are making me definitely want to hang on to my 78 that's been getting little use with 3 lil kids. I'm 39 now, picked the old girl 6 yrs ago and a great friend walked me through a 2f rebuild. definitely puts a grin on my face when I do take her out. spring cant come any sooner!

Reading this thread certainly looks like a sales support for Toyota. I bought mine at age 40 and now I am 57. The FJ40 is really a legendary design and it is quite sad that something close is not available.

Reading this thread certainly looks like a sales support for Toyota. I bought mine at age 40 and now I am 57. The FJ40 is really a legendary design and it is quite sad that something close is not available.

x2 ... not that I'd give up an original, but you're right, sad there isn't something close available ...
:cheers:

Its amazing how much we all love our trucks. I remember a a kid thinking that my grandfathers 40 was the coolest thing in the world. It was a green '76. At that time I must of been about 6 years old. I remember that he swapped a 350 into it. Unfortunately he did not keep it for long, but I remember the smile it put on my face back then. I got my first 40 when I was 18. I am now on my second build being my fourth land cruiser. I regret selling my first 3. I think this one will be with me for life.

Congrats on your and :cheers: I hope that it will be with you for years to come.

Joe

I would love for you guys to post photos of your 40.
Might sound funny, but a couple of times each evening, I turn the light on in the garage look at the old faded rusty rig and just smile hoping to get more time to tinker with it.

...via IH8MUD app

here's a side shot of mine ... it ain't perfect, but it ain't bad ... its at the point after 36 years (I'm pretty sure its an 11/77 build) where its time for a time and money investment to keep the frame and body good ... first up pint the bezel white then 2.5" lift (still debating which after reviewing the library of info here, but likely OME) and I'm going back to the OEM wheels and skinny 34s (if I can find that size tire) ...
:cheers:
1978FJ40side.JPG

The horn button actually completes the ground circuit to the relay. See if the relay is hot with a test light. Find the single wire that comes out of the column under the dash and jump it to ground and see if you hear either the horns blowing or the relay clicking.
When you say the flashers don't work do you mean the emergency flashers or the turn signals? Both have a separate flasher unit.

I would love for you guys to post photos of your 40.....

I never pass up a chance to post a pic of my truck...

image-3530958350.jpg

image-2109377798.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD
image-3530958350.jpg
image-2109377798.jpg

Turn signals work fine. Emergency flashers do not work. Where is the emergency flasher relay?

...via IH8MUD app

Welome to MUD

I've only recently been a member myself. However, I have been researching here since I bought my '82 Hilux in 2005. It is a great site with good people and lots of good information.

A word of caution. 40's are chick magnets. JK

As per request here are some pics.

Sorry Claudia.

As you can see in this pic the bezel is proper.
Gusno Erie.jpg
Gunso at TP.jpg
Gusno Erie.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"a legendary design and it is quite sad that something close is not available. "

....not completely accurate.....
006.JPG
004.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom