Bought my first 80 series… (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Very clean. Looks like (upgraded?) aftermarket aluminum radiator - not cheap.

Congratulations on the the new 80. the heater control valve looks like it's being discolored and may need replacing soon. Otherwise, it looks great!

No, that's normal. The balls should have a coating of grease and it will ball up a bit.

Yes, they're a little coated in a tiny bit.

I'll take a pic of mine right now and show you what a leaking birf looks like. I have 120k miles on the axle rebuild and it's overdue.

View attachment 3065633

View attachment 3065634

Agreed.

If they don't have sloppy green birf soup on the balls, they are ok.

The OPs are a bit greasier than what I'd like, but wouldn't be losing any sleep over them either.

As a "new" rig, opening the hubs as PM is a good idea to check condition of bearings, spindles, grease contamination (water or gear oil)

Check yer nuts!

Looks not too bad, but plan on a knuckle rebuild at some point.

Also, with oil all of the front axle housing, I'd guess you have a leak or two around the front of the engine.
Dizzy o-ring, oil pump seal, or power steering
Yeah, there seems to be a decent oil leak from the valve cover and the distributor. Possibly elsewhere.

Okay, so I opened the glove box and found what was definitely a mouse nest in my glove box. It was made in the last two weeks. My new registration paper was chewed along with some of the insulation material on the inside of the firewall. My question for the 80 series veterans is where could a mouse find it’s way in? Edit; I looked under the brake booster at the steering column and there is a gap. Anyone else has this problem?
96468E1C-1211-4AD7-ADA2-05589BC15F30.png

Okay, so I opened the glove box and found what was definitely a mouse nest in my glove box. It was made in the last two weeks. My new registration paper was chewed along with some of the insulation material on the inside of the firewall. My question for the 80 series veterans is where could a mouse find it’s way in? Edit; I looked under the brake booster at the steering column and there is a gap. Anyone else has this problem?View attachment 3069189
Yes, that's the steering shaft seal. Common replacement.

Also, through the fan housing up into the cowl from in front of the windshield.

You need to place the air selection on RECIRCULATION before you shut it down for the night. That closes the vent door to the cowl area.

I highly recommend that you drop the blower fan (passenger footwell) to clean out the blower and what duct you can reach.

Oh yeah, look in the rear corner of the fender wells in back, from underneath. There is supposed to be a plug about 50mm back there for water drain and many use for accessory wiring. Make sure those are closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom