Bought an 80 front axle for my 62-Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys,
I bought a front axle from a 1991 FJ80 to put in my 88 FJ62. I have to put new brakes, reseal it, etc. So, I thought I'd ask the experts what I should do when I have it all apart and needing to replace stuff anyway. I'ver read 100 calipers and pads. Is that a direct replacement? Anything else?

IMG_1060.jpg

You don’t need 100 calipers to fit the 100 series pads. Personally I run EBC yellow stuff pads. (80 Series)

Other than a refresh do you need increased strength? Locker? Are you keeping the drive flanges or converting to locking hubs?

@NLXTACY Wits’ End offers a ABS sensor delete kit.

You don’t need 100 calipers to fit the 100 series pads. Personally I run EBC yellow stuff pads. (80 Series)

Other than a refresh do you need increased strength? Locker? Are you keeping the drive flanges or converting to locking hubs?

@NLXTACY Wits’ End offers a ABS sensor delete kit.
Not looking for anything outrageous. Just something I can drive on logging roads, etc. I will convert to the locking hubs. Good advice. I'll pick up the ABS delete and stick with the 80 pads. Thanks for the reply.

I don’t believe the early axles had ABS, and I don’t see the sensors. They should be just outboard of the trunnion bearing caps.

I believe the 91 had the shorter birfield axles, so locking hubs should just bolt right in. You will need new leaf spring perches.

The 91 had smaller brakes and shorter birfields.

You can do a brake upgrade to the larger 80 series rotor and caliper.

91's had 15" wheels and 93+ had 16" wheels to compensate for the larger brakes, so that may influence your decision also.

The 91 had smaller brakes and shorter birfields.

You can do a brake upgrade to the larger 80 series rotor and caliper.

91's had 15" wheels and 93+ had 16" wheels to compensate for the larger brakes, so that may influence your decision also.
Really good point. I want to put 17’s on, but didn’t want to commit so soon. This is a speedy proposition. I’ll have to think a bit more it.

Just incase you didnt know... Trail Tailor has a DIY kit to install a 80 axles, coils & shocks under the 60 series. Comes with bucket holders & all the brackets to weld on the frame.

If it were me, I would strip it, clean it up, paint it, and put it back together, replacing seals, bearings, and brake parts where applicable. I think the 100 series brakes are for 93+ axles, but could be wrong.

Just incase you didnt know... Trail Tailor has a DIY kit to install a 80 axles, coils & shocks under the 60 series. Comes with bucket holders & all the brackets to weld on the frame.
Yes! But thank you. Already in contact with Jason. Sent him pictures and going to get with my buddy and set up a schedule.

If it were me, I would strip it, clean it up, paint it, and put it back together, replacing seals, bearings, and brake parts where applicable. I think the 100 series brakes are for 93+ axles, but could be wrong.
I was going to pull it apart and probably powder coat the housing and other bits that don't have rubber that I need to replace. New seals, calipers, pads, wheel bearings, etc. Only what to tear into this one time (for now)

Question: Why? Your FJ62 came with a 9.5" diff. The 80 only has an 8" front diff. In my estimation, this swap would be a downgrade. I'd rather upgrade the brakes on a 60-series axle than swap to a weaker diff. Just this guy's two cents :)

:edit: I guess if you're going with the Trail Tailor coil conversion, that would be a selling point for the swap. 80 axle is not well suited to leaf springs because of it's tie rod location.

Question: Why? Your FJ62 came with a 9.5" diff. The 80 only has an 8" front diff. In my estimation, this swap would be a downgrade. I'd rather upgrade the brakes on a 60-series axle than swap to a weaker diff. Just this guy's two cents :)

:edit: I guess if you're going with the Trail Tailor coil conversion, that would be a selling point for the swap. 80 axle is not well suited to leaf springs because of it's tie rod location.
Yes, doing the coil swap for drivability. No hardcore crawling, just logging roads and highways.

I was going to pull it apart and probably powder coat the housing and other bits that don't have rubber that I need to replace. New seals, calipers, pads, wheel bearings, etc. Only what to tear into this one time (for now)

I wouldn't bother powder coating it. While powder coating is pretty tough, it can't hold up to the scrapes and bashing an axle takes. That is, if you take it off the pavement ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom