Bought an '07 LC! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had plans to buy an LX-470 2 years ago. Things changed and it didn't happen.

Now I have finally purchased an '07 LC and should have it on Tuesday of next week.

What do you guys recommend in terms of a "fresh start"? Total flush and change of all fluids (oil, AHC, radiator, transmission etc).

I suggest checking the fluids to see what they look and smell like. You will likely waste a pile of cash just changing it without a reason. And if while checking you find something alarming, that is a reason to consider not buying the vehicle. The fluids will tell you a great deal about the condition of the most important parts of the vehicle

Congrats!

In the FAQ are the maintenance schedules and recommended services.

Outside of that, heater Ts, and drive it.

I suggest checking the fluids to see what they look and smell like. You will likely waste a pile of cash just changing it without a reason. And if while checking you find something alarming, that is a reason to consider not buying the vehicle. The fluids will tell you a great deal about the condition of the most important parts of the vehicle

Yes, seems like a good approach. Drove an '02 4Runner from '05 until late '18. It always treated me well. Am hoping for the same with the LC.

Yes, seems like a good approach. Drove an '02 4Runner from '05 until late '18. It always treated me well. Am hoping for the same with the LC.

You've been there before then - you can definitely "over maintain" a land cruiser. @BullElk's approach is my preference as I track my maintenance in a spreadsheet and use blackstone labs for fluid tests.

I send in samples of trans fluid, transfer case, and engine oil (every other for engine oil) when they are nearing the severe service interval. This is the short side of their lifecycle and so far tests have come back showing fluids are not only serviceable but still completely within spec to nearly double what I've already put on them.

The funny part is that Toyota's maintenance history manual ended at 150k. I duplicated it in excel, copied it over and over out to 500k as Toyota should have.

You've been there before then - you can definitely "over maintain" a land cruiser. @BullElk's approach is my preference as I track my maintenance in a spreadsheet and use blackstone labs for fluid tests.

I send in samples of trans fluid, transfer case, and engine oil (every other for engine oil) when they are nearing the severe service interval. This is the short side of their lifecycle and so far tests have come back showing fluids are not only serviceable but still completely within spec to nearly double what I've already put on them.

The funny part is that Toyota's maintenance history manual ended at 150k. I duplicated it in excel, copied it over and over out to 500k as Toyota should have.

How long have you gone on you engine oil and what type? I've been extending the service interval to see how much more I can get out of the oil.

Congrats! Check service records(if you have them) to see where it stands. BullElk's suggestion is good, however if you want to know for sure then baseline the fluids and start from there. For sure check/replace the heater T's. That's the common thing that can kill your engine. Knowing when the timing belt was done is a good thing too.

Congrats! Check service records(if you have them) to see where it stands. BullElk's suggestion is good, however if you want to know for sure then baseline the fluids and start from there. For sure check/replace the heater T's. That's the common thing that can kill your engine. Knowing when the timing belt was done is a good thing too.

Tell me more about the heater T's.

The timing belt was done 45k miles back.

There are a couple of plastic T fittings that go from the engine to the heater cores and back. They're located in the drivers side rear of the engine compartment and are easily accesible. Search in the forum and you will find tons of info on them.

Several threads on these, but here some light 36 page reading for your start

How long have you gone on you engine oil and what type? I've been extending the service interval to see how much more I can get out of the oil.

Don't want to divert this thread so will keep it simple on this one. I don't use high mileage, always use 5w30 full synthetic. No brand loyalty, I go with best price on a name brand I'm familiar with.

No major diff. in engine oil performance or degredation as long as full synthetic. I sent samples at 3k to blackstone over 100k. Everytime the oil was perfect so swapped filter only and sent at 6k. Oil good but they recommended swapping at 10k so I just did it at 7.5k to keep it simple.

So filter swap at 3 or 4k and oil at 7.5k. at 7.5k the oil is still usually golden. I have zero burning or leaking and do not need to add any during changes other than a half cup or so from the filter change. Analysis on oil at 7.5k has been great, serviceable and plenty of life left with no abnormal wear material. Just under 200k on mine.

Last edited:
Don't want to divert this thread so will keep it simple on this one. I don't use high mileage, always use 5w30 full synthetic. No brand loyalty, I go with best price on a name brand I'm familiar with.

No major diff. in engine oil performance or degredation as long as full synthetic. I sent samples at 3k to blackstone over 100k. Everytime the oil was perfect so swapped filter only and sent at 6k. Oil good but they recommended swapping at 10k so I just did it at 7.5k to keep it simple.

So filter swap at 3 or 4k and oil at 7.5k. at 7.5k the oil is still usually golden. I have zero burning or leaking and do not need to add any during changes other than a half cup or so from the filter change. Analysis on oil at 7.5k has been great, serviceable and plenty of life left with no abnormal wear material. Just under 200k on mine.

Thanks for the info! That's all I was looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom