Bought an '05 4R for Danise and the kids (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yep. Techstream can read all the ecus

I'm sure you're busy Marc, but I have nothing going on yet today until about 2:00. If you've got the time maybe we could get your 4runner hooked up and checked out .

That would be great but I'm working today. I do have next Friday off though.

I figured. Next Friday might work if I can get everything else done next week. We will be leaving to Florida early the next morning. Got to find time one day to replace the cv axles in the GX.

Oh geez. Don't try to add my desire to scan the vehicle to your already busy schedule.

No worries. Let's get it done.

This is what you get with a dealer maintained vehicle? Spark plugs are original with 195K miles on them. I know this because 3 were NGK and 3 were DENSO, which is what you're expected to find on the original plugs according to the T4R forum. Gap is supposed to be .040-.043. They were in the neighborhood of .080". Air filters were nasty too. Engine seems to be a lot happier with a fresh filter and new plugs as the OBD2 scanner shows everything is running correctly.

20180930_151916.jpg
20180930_151921.jpg
20180930_151927.jpg
20180930_151806.jpg
20180930_151424.jpg

Those filters and plugs are nasty. It's a wonder the vehicle was even running. Good thing the current owner will take care of things going forward.

The wife's GX470 was "dealer maintained" too. This weekend I did the transmission oil diluting procedure, the fluid was black. After 4 of the drain and refills it is still a bit brown but it shifts buttery smooth . Going to pick up 10 more quarts of trans fluid today to drain and refill 3 more times.

Those are just ugly.

The wife's GX470 was "dealer maintained" too. This weekend I did the transmission oil diluting procedure, the fluid was black. After 4 of the drain and refills it is still a bit brown but it shifts buttery smooth . Going to pick up 10 more quarts of trans fluid today to drain and refill 3 more times.

Wow!

Did you run the VIN through Toyota Owners Official Web Site and see what service it did receive?

I did before I bought it. I added the vehicle to my vehicle list and could see extensive service history for oil/filter changes and several reports of other fluid changes. All the work was doe at the right intervals at dealerships in Tempe for the first 5 years and then Karl Malone/Larry Miller Toyota for the past 8 years.

Last edited:
I did before I bought it. I added the vehicle to my vehicle list and could see extensive service history for oil/filter changes and several reports of other fluid changes. All the work was doe at the right intervals at a dealership in Tucson for the first 5 years and then Karl Malone/Larry Miller Toyota for the past 8 years.

I would walk into the dealer that did the last service with your plugs and filters and ask WTF. Those plugs, btw, don't look like 100K mile iridium plugs. They look conventional.

I would walk into the dealer that did the last service with your plugs and filters and ask WTF. Those plugs, btw, don't look like 100K mile iridium plugs. They look conventional.
Yep. 30K is the standard interval for them. I did find a couple service history records where the "30K Schedule Maintenance" (which includes plugs) was recommended and the owner declined the work. There are no service records that indicate the plugs were ever changed.

Last edited:
Yikes! That's good for a few mpg...

It occurred to me that the dealer was only performing service based on the customer's request and not what was recommended by Toyota for service intervals, and it sounds like that's exactly what was happening...

Hey Marc. Did you get your brake problem figured out?

Well, I see two scenarios here, the service writer recommended the service, but the customer refused, or the service was claimed to have been done, but wasn't. I find it very unlikely of the second scenario to happen over and over again, but not the first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom