1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bought a new 60!

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by stevek, Mar 5, 2004.

1. stevek

stevek

Just got her home this am. Its an 1985 one owner with 147K on it.
    The good--great compression, Warn 8274 on a custom bull bar, tranny/xfer/axles in good shape, and what seems like a decent lift.
    The bad--both rear quarters are toast as is one of the front fenders, the frame past the rear axle has seen better days thanks to that ugly rust word.

My goal is to make this a decent trail truck that will see limited road use. First thing I am going to do is a general tune up, change all the fluids hoses etc. Next I would like to clean the frame up some. While the metal is starting to flake some in the rear I was unable to put the hammer and chisel through it. Do you think a good cleaning and some POR will make this last a couple of years? Would I be ahead to weld in some extra metal in spots to help strength? I'll try and find some used body parts to replace the rot. Maybe toss some desert beige paint on it once it is straight. I am going to gut the interior and duraline the entire thing. I'm sure that has been done here before--any advice? Would an internal cage be smart? Past that I have a couple of ARBs that I am going to put in the diffs once I clean them up, some new MTR tires and I think I will have a pretty cool w/e toy.

Any advice? Anything else I should consider?

2. brian

brian SILVER Star

60's are way cool :cheers:
    i can't wait to get mine back on the road. rear frame rot as well, and a few other things. the new gas shocks ripped the shock mount crossmember off a few days after they were on :D

3. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Congrats on the increase of your CI !!(cylinder index)

4. Jman

Jman

Congrats!!!

As long as the frame is not rusted through anywhere, as long as you clean it up and protect it with something (doesn't even have to be POR, could even be oil/grease/kerosene mixture) it should last at least a few years. Unless you plan on carrying a lot of weight, I don't think you need to weld anything in there.

Then again, if the rear end is toast, why not lop some of it off? :D :D :D