Bought a FJ80 this morning! (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Congrats & Welcome! :flipoff2:

Where was the truck, I see you are in SLC? Did you travel to see it or buy it based on the dealers rep?

The truck was in Rhode Island on a used lot. I paid the Toyota dealer in town to check it out. The only things they found were the front pads needed replacement (probably needs rotors too), E-brake was frozen, and there is seeage from the front diff (needs attention in the near future). The used dealer had to replace the pads and fix the e-brake because without these fixes the vehicle would not pass inspection.

Because it was a a one-owner vehicle, I felt good about it. The truck was traded in at Penske Auto Group by the original owner for some high end European vehicle. My parents were going to go check it out but I had to make an offer before last weekend so no one would show up over the weekend and get it first...106k miles with factory locking diffs one owner would not have lasted the weekend.

I found it on autotrader.com, despite the fact that there are more TLCs list on cars.com. I've been looking for over a year. I paid $9,900 for the truck. Shipping was $1350 with insurance but I only paid $1000 for shipping.

80 Arrived Last Night!! - Pics

so...my FZJ arrived last night! :cheers:Soo excited! I drove it around town this morning and it is definitely in need of some fairly serious PM. It needs new suspension for sure (thinking OME, either stock or 2"lift). It has 275/70R16 Michelin LTX M/S tires on it now, they actually look decent all things considered but they will need to replaced soon for something more in tune with this vehicle :D. Although the color looks way orange in the photos, it's a nice dark red still. I think this color gets better with age.

It's going into Mark Miller Toyota here in SLC tomorrow to get inspected for registration, get an oil change and an alignment. I am holding off on any and all other stuff for a couple days to come up with a solid plan for the PM. I want initial PM to be all about baselining the truck and making it as reliable as possible.

Right now I am thinking:
  • many of the things on the 90,000 mile maintenance should be done sooner than later
  • Slee headlight harness
  • timing belt replacement
  • tune-up (sparkplug recommendation?)
  • brake line and rotor replacement (as necessary, brakes need some love).
What do you all think? I plan to replace the PHH in the near future as well.

Thanks everyone!
TLC Back.jpg
TLC Inside.jpg
TLC SIDE.jpg

NICE!:flipoff2:

i'd move the phh up higher. they have timing chains not belts.

thanks. new to this whole PM thing.

i was thinking PHH replacement before my first trip outside of Salt Lake County.

For the tune up I would go with OEM plugs, wires, cap and rotor. One thing I've found is that mine like the OEM stuff better. I've tried aftermarket stuff on them before - don't waste your money.

Tony

so 'am i.
just picked up my '93 last week:hillbilly:

you know about the 'blue' hose right??

nice!

"blue" hose...? no i don't.

He means silicone hose. It happens to be blue in a kit you can buy from one of the vendors on this site. I just did this while I had my head off to replace the gasket. Everybody says it's the way to go.

He means silicone hose. It happens to be blue in a kit you can buy from one of the vendors on this site. I just did this while I had my head off to replace the gasket. Everybody says it's the way to go.

good to know, thanks. what vendor is it? I was going to follow general directions from the FAQ about the PHH and the proper materials to use.

is this blue hose somehow superior in it's ability to withstand serious heat?

is this blue hose somehow superior in it's ability to withstand serious heat?

it's claimed to be a lifetime, one time fix. or some thing to that effect. for $25 shipped it seemed like a pretty good deal.

it's claimed to be a lifetime, one time fix. or some thing to that effect. for $25 shipped it seemed like a pretty good deal.

...but who carries it? it sounds like a good way to go for the PHH...

Just click on the support our advertising vendors,top rt. corner.Then scrool down to the PHH vendor( does it say green stripe?) I can't remenber,check it out.
And welcome :flipoff2: to the addiction.Nice truck,you don't see that many red ones.

Just click on the support our advertising vendors,top rt. corner.Then scrool down to the PHH vendor( does it say green stripe?) I can't remenber,check it out.
And welcome :flipoff2: to the addiction.Nice truck,you don't see that many red ones.

Yea,it's the 2nd. one down(1fzfephh.com)good deal,order one up!!!!!

Thanks guys. I'll be doing this sooner than later. I need to identify the darn hose in the engine bay first. Which will require Factory Service Manual (I am nearly illiterate when it comes to identifying parts of the engine, though I am good at understanding what's going on, wierd, huh?), which will require call to Dan (left him voicemail this evening). So it's in the works. We looked for a badly cracked hose in that area today at Mark Miller Toyota in SLC and could not find a hose in bad shape, but I want to get this replaced regardless. Good PM @ $25 for sure.

jsuthey - thanks for the kudos on the red color - it's actually waay nicer than i thought it would be. ideally i wanted dark gray but i settled for clean interior, diff locks, sunroof, and red paint.

Last edited:
Truck was in @ Mark Miller Toyota today

So...I now know what PMs are necessary right now:

1. Brake Fluid replacement (too much moisture) - put in stainless steel brake lines now? will stainless steel lines improve braking performance?
  2. drive belts replaced (one missing!)
  3. air conditioning recharged (for comfort's sake)
  4. tune up (will do myself)
    1. spark plugs
    2. spark plug wires
    3. distributor rotor
    4. distributor cap
    5. new OEM air filter
  5. PHH
  6. front axle rebuild (will do on own in next two weeks, just have to find a 54mm hub socket)
  7. address lack of regular service since ~45,000miles (now @106,000miles) = 90,000-mile maintenance
  8. new tires or new suspension (tie)
    1. tires will come first if we identify that tires are reason the truck is not tracking straight
    2. there is a slight list to the right front corner - could be from the suspension and also why truck is not tracking straight
i'm doing it all in this order because the most important is safety - ie stopping and not falling apart at speed. next is MUCH needed PMs to get the truck's engine performance back into shape. then i can address fun stuff like tires and suspension.

feedback appreciated!

Last edited:
congrats, :flipoff2: Wow, it still has all the parts (like wheel ornaments, flares, running boards and rack). Very civilized looking. I recently deflared and durabaked and got some new tires for my new 93 and my kids commented that the "cruiser doesnt look like a mini van any more" and they "feel like they are riding in a 4 wheel drive instead of a family car". Have fun with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom