Bought a 97 that sat in the back of a shop abandoned for 8 years. Guess this is a build thread? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so a few weeks ago I happened across a non locked, 1997, non running land cruiser that had sat in the back of a repair shop more or less abandoned since 2011. Mold had somehow gotten on the inside, the windshield was cracked, tires completely dry rotted and wouldn't hold air, had a crappy brushgaurd on it that had been pushed in and ruined the front bumper, outside had about six layers of grime on it, and it had the worst looking pinstripe you could imagine on it. The shop told they thought it "Just needs a fuel pump". I was convinced that the headgasket was probably bad and thats why it sat for long enough that it needed a pump, but whatever I wanted a project anyway. I pulled the carfax and it was actually a one owner vehicle. That has to be worth something, right?

IMG_8451.jpg

IMG_8450.jpg

So first things first. I pulled out the rear seats and found there was just nothing where the fuel pump should be. No access door, no pump/sending unit. Someone had just taken the whole bracket out and left it on a bench somewhere or something I'm guessing. I bought a used pump assembly for $115, drained the old (black) gas out, put a jump box on it and to my amazement it fired up! After a minute or two it ran pretty damn smooth too. Put it in gear and drove it around the block and it seemed alright.

I had a set of Cooper Discovery 16 inch tires off my LX470 so I threw them on, changed the oil, added some techron to a tank of gas and drove it around. Genuinely amazed. Absolutely NOTHING major was wrong with it. Drives super tight on the highway. I put a reman AC Compressor on it, changed out the radio and got to work cleaning it up and making it right.

IMG_9081.JPG
IMG_9101.JPG
IMG_9111.JPG

So running boards definitely have to come off, I got a super good deal on the correct warn fairlead used on eBay and I figure as soon as harbor freight has a sale on the Badlands 12,000lb winch I'll put that on there. I got to good of a deal to pass up on a great used set of KO2's that I'm about to throw on there. I'd like to throw a rack on it and an OME 2.5 lift, still have to recover the front seats and armrest, LS400 steering wheel, etc. I'm not sure what I'll do but I'm excited!

That cleaned up real nice! :) Did it come with a complimentary mouse nest in the air box, or a snake in the glove box... that second one is always good a for a laugh when they come slithering out and drop in your buddies open boot.

Welcome, great work reviving this cruiser from its grave.

Wow, nice work bringing this one back from the brink!

I’d guess you got one hell of a deal on that. I just got a 100 series not running and cheap. It was only sitting few weeks and the guy had several mechanic buddies look at it with no fix... one wire fixed it that was hitting the crank pulley and rubbed through and it runs great. Took me 4 hours at night working with a head lamp including doing plugs just because they needed it and di-electriced the coils which is good practice with cracked 20year old 250k mile coils.

Great job bringing it back to life! What part of town was it in where you found it? I had really good luck with LSeat covers with my old 80 and they are easy enough to install yourself. Are you going to take the carpet out and clean it as well?

Check out our local Bham club. We have monthly meetings, trail rides and work days (so if you ever need a help with anything let us know!) AL- DixieLand Cruisers

I’d guess you got one hell of a deal on that. I just got a 100 series not running and cheap. It was only sitting few weeks and the guy had several mechanic buddies look at it with no fix... one wire fixed it that was hitting the crank pulley and rubbed through and it runs great. Took me 4 hours at night working with a head lamp including doing plugs just because they needed it and di-electriced the coils which is good practice with cracked 20year old 250k mile coils.

You'll love it! My LX470 is my favorite car I've ever had. I actually sold a 2014 BMW 535 M Sport when I bought it because I loved the LX so much I just didn't feel a need to keep it.

Great job bringing it back to life! What part of town was it in where you found it? I had really good luck with LSeat covers with my old 80 and they are easy enough to install yourself. Are you going to take the carpet out and clean it as well?

Check out our local Bham club. We have monthly meetings, trail rides and work days (so if you ever need a help with anything let us know!) AL- DixieLand Cruisers

It was in a shop somewhere on north side close to the 65 overpass. I'm a dealer and a dealer friend I have told me about it. I'm actually already in the facebook group! Part of me really wants to get the seat covers from Land Cruiser Heaven but $600 is a little hard to swallow and from everything I'm reading it would be six months before they even showed up. I'm kind of a snob about getting leather work done and not having it match very well or feel right, but I've heard good things about lseat. Believe it or not I already pulled the carpet and spent the better part of a day cleaning it. It was filthy at first and it didn't turn great but it looks pretty good.
IMG_8794.JPG
IMG_8795.JPG
IMG_9082.JPG

Nice find! What do the red and green toggle switches do?

I have no idea they don't seem to do anything. I'm guessing they went to the two lights on the brushgaurd I took off, but I haven't traced the wires yet.

The shop told they thought it "Just needs a fuel pump".

I guess that was a nice surprise when that's really all it needed. how did the inside of the tank look?

Part of me really wants to get the seat covers from Land Cruiser Heaven but $600 is a little hard to swallow and from everything I'm reading it would be six months before they even showed up.

if they show up at all, plenty of people have had very bad experiences with them so use at your own risk

Try here..

Nice save

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom