Bottom Mounting Wipers on an Early Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anybody tried this? I'm thinking of getting a couple universal wiper motors and mounting them on the bottom of the windshield frame on my 67.

I messed up my roll cage and didn't leave enough room for the wiper motors, I'd hate to have to grind off all my welds and redo it and risk losing strenth in the cage.

Just thinking why not? since the original wipers weren't worth much anyone it couldn't hurt.

Or you could just swap in a later model windsheild frame with the wipers and motor already on the bottom ;)

Tucker

X2!

2 inside low mounted motors on that '67 would look "JICKIE" as hell....

The whole process would be real easy, there are many motors that you could use and manufacturing arms that would do the jobe would be a snap. The trick is to figure out where you would want to mount the motors.

I have a feeling my boy's 71 will be getting a conversion like this, he and I will be doing all the work so I will post pics of the process and the final product.

I hope it works out for you.

Elwin

Thanks Elwin, how soon do you think you'll be doing yours?

I think something could be done to make it not look as hokey, build a nice looking small shelf out of diamond plate to cover up the motors or something. I'm not even sure if I'll need to do it right now as my cage is out of the tub while I strip and rustbullet the inside.

Problem is a frame is $400+, and that probably doesnt include any of the wiper parts.

I'd like to find a somewhat permanent temporary solution until I can find a deal on a late model frame.

in addition to a later model frame, if you ever put the w/s down, you'd need to change the w/s frame hinges and the bumpers on the hood to later style (no, the bumpers on the hood don't just bolt on, you'll have to drill new holes)

I realize this is an old thread, but a current problem for me. I have seen an Ebay listing for a high mount wiper motor but note that it does not have a switch on the motor body. The unit in my rig does not appear to be a Toyota installation, nor a replacement for a Toyota piece of equipment as when I removed it the hole is only somewhat round and just very crude installation. I note that Summit Racing and others offer an OMIX universal windshield wiper motor complete with wires, arm, blade for $40-$50. Has anyone used one of these, I would use it in the high mount position. I would love to have a later model windshield, frame and wipers, however, as noted above, they run about $400 for just the frame and finding one in Ecuador is far more difficult than in the USA.

I'd in the top mounted one to gain synchronized wipers. The wiring wouldn't be too hard to sort out.

That said, I've read on here of others using universal motors to replace early motors. Just keep in mind the thickness of the windshield frame and adjustability of the unit.
:cheers:

Thanks. My 1970 is non-USA and does not appear to have had windshield wipers from the factory. Of course it didn't get a heater either. So the single windshield wiper motor that I have looks very much like the Omix-Ada units which cover many years of Jeep CJ's. When I removed it the "hole" in the windshield frame looks like it was installed with a masonry bit mounted in a hammer drill, pretty bad. While it does work, there is no way of knowing where it will stop when you reach up and turn the switch off. So I'm thinking of installing two of these (Summit Racing has the best price at $40 each) and the weight should get me the $40 shipping by my forwarding company.

frames aren't that expensive... i found one on the forum for $100 and not that much for shipping either... mint shape too.

keep your eye out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom