"Bottom Barrel Restorations" and my 77 FJ45 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I've never actually documented any of my Cruiser escapades and I guess there's a first time for everything. First of all I'm doing this from the middle of Amazonian Peru so, this is not going to be a high dollar resto but want to do the best I can with what I've got to work, all things considered. What I'm basically doing is combining parts from 3 different parts rigs, a 77 45, an 80 40 and a 91 FJ70, the 45 being the base recipient for my 3F H55 and t-case, PS and front disks, no I am not putting in the AC from the 70, I don't have the patience for such things, and think on this 45 it would be "out of place". I'm basically taking the back of the original 45 (lower) cab and splicing it onto rest cab tub of the red 40 in the photos. Rust is definitely um.. "present" so that's going to be a big part of the work, big surprise there. Not sure how many photos I can get up but first are just some useless pics of the donor parts, recipient 45 which is now in a million pieces. This is going to be much, much, :wrench:. As I go along any (good) advice is welcomed. Basically what were doing now is getting the frame of the 45 into shape... we took the 40 frame apart and are using the inner channel which is in nice condition, and replacing the crappy ones on the 45 with those, plus some other repairs to the frame. First time I've gone this deep on a project. The green one is my inspiration ;)
603624_10201117998329870_2134255761_n.jpg
IMG_5092.jpg
17-TLC.jpg

I had to include a photo of this rusted iron sculpture, which will probably surpass most of your pre-conceived notions of what stupid mechanics are capable of, but believe me you haven't seen anything compared to what they do to motorized vehicles here in this part of the world. I'm sure someone can guess what this "thing" was used for? Next a pic of the first issue at hand... frame repair, the inner channels from the 40 are turning out nice, going to treat everything to wire wheel, phosphoric acid scrub then epoxy primer/paint.
IMG_5084.jpg
IMG_5112.jpg
IMAG0139.jpg

This oughta be good......

bold move with the frame for sure but it looks great. While rust will be your enemy at least good labor rates and ingenuity are on your side ;)

So what is the end cab result your after? will it still be a 45 cab sizewise or when you say the back of the 45 cab is getting grafted to 40 tub will you have and extended cab result? What then of the bed? shorten bed or lengthen frame?

You appear to be a dauntless, hard-working sort. Best wishes with the restore - I think it'll turn out great.

Are you sure your 45 is a 1977? It looks to be older.

Great project. I will probably be digging into my box this summer and will be looking at your work for ideas.

Yeah, I'm going to keep the stock cab dimensions, mainly to keep resale value up and "keep it simple (stupid)".. if I was going to keep this rig I'd do an extra cab. Really the whole reason I'm doing this is something "happened" to my 70, want I want is a 7X troopie which I've already got my eyes on ;). Really the frame deal is pretty straight forward, sheer the tops of the rivets off with a thin cutting wheel, then knock em out with a punch, and it comes (falls) apart quite easily, least of my worries actually. Found out that we can't get phosphoric acid here cuz of the cocaine trade, so it's either muratic (omg) or off the shelf rust treatment... biggest worry is to make sure the paint sticks after that's done. And yeah, the labor rate makes this possible.

If you're only planning resale, I'd consider adding the air con and power steering from your late 70 series. I'd also plan to send it to the US as it'd likely sell for a pretty penny here.

Are you sure your 45 is a 1977? It looks to be older.

Great project. I will probably be digging into my box this summer and will be looking at your work for ideas.

I'm thinking older too...

Unless it has replacement parts from an older truck for some reason. The turn signals and the hood look like '69 or so.

Real cool. Chamba is right. That truck would sell for a mint up here.

Good luck.

Well the export idea has crossed my mind, ill see how it turns out, hey maybe someone on the list will want it since they will be able to see every step I take right here. Anyway ok ill check the vin #s and verify the year. Aaannnd yes the steering and brakes from the 70 are going on, but what's left of the 70 is going to the shop owner I think would be upset if I decided at the last min 8to rob the ac out of it.... Sounds like a Pia anyway. Here's the first frame section painted with what I think is a simply smashing shade of green epoxy primer, after muratic acid wash which wasn't strong enough to clean my butt, though can see its potential, followed by weak phosphoric acid then deactivated with soapy water with sodium bicarb AND caustic soda, pressure rinse towel dry then compressed air... Too much info? ;)
IMAG0141.jpg

Btw that rust sculpture is a manual clutch mechanism, disgustin eh?

Been a while since I've posted anything on this project, but progress is being made, though slowly and wow that frame has turned out to be a lot of work. Good news is it's nearly done and going to be putting the frame haves together soon and getting on to more interesting tasks. We ended up cutting 4 (outer half) big sections out of the frame and splicing in "matching" sections from the 1980 40 shell I've had laying around for ages. The catch was that the 40 frame is only similar at best to the 45 frame in the mid section, but the forward part is exact match from the front bumper back as I recall, to about the point of the tubular frame brace. The rearward sections were a little tricky in that though the frames matched in taper the 40 frame was very straight where the 45 had custom wobbles in it lengthwise. So, we had to find the section which corresponded to the taper (frame hight) and clamp it along side of the 45 frame, with slits cut into the short, horizontal "sides" (top and bottom) and we made the bends by making slices in the short (horizontal) sides, which were either closed up or further opened by the bending, heating up the metal just a bit at the bend apexes, and then clamped those areas with more c-clamps so they conformed to the original stock bends. Once that was done the rusty old section were cut out, and the formed and piece was put in it's place. The fame sections were cut out with diagonal cuts and reinforced with ghastly looking "chevy emblem" gussets. I'm pretty sure this is far from "right", so will be curious to hear opinions as to the durability (or lack of) of this frame when we finally paint it. Here's a couple more unexciting pics of the frame work ; Splitting the frame halves, one of the gusset reinforcements, etc. Will get a shot of the "bends" up. Btw, not all work down here is dodgy like mine ;), check out the custom bumper for a FJ70 they did at "Firewheels" in Lima, this is where the son's of the conquistadors take their toys to be worked on...I know most of you guy's can appreciate an early bronco, the owner is a military officer who's got 45K into it already and it's far from done. :whoops:
IMAG0140.jpg
IMAG0210.jpg
IMAG0090.jpg

Oh yeah... I looked at the title today and it's a 71, so ya'll were right. So... question. How much trouble should I go to to use the stock tub rather than the (better) 80 FJ40 tub with just the back of the 45 cab grafted on? Honestly I'm just going to use the original tag on whatever tub, but it will be a more modern tub than stock... I'll be selling the rig with the original running gear included.... would an 80 tub on a 71 45 offend? Ha... of course it would, should I care enough to futz with it is the question :)
IMAG0075.jpg

Oh yeah... I looked at the title today and it's a 71, so ya'll were right. So... question. How much trouble should I go to to use the stock tub rather than the (better) 80 FJ40 tub with just the back of the 45 cab grafted on? Honestly I'm just going to use the original tag on whatever tub, but it will be a more modern tub than stock... I'll be selling the rig with the original running gear included.... would an 80 tub on a 71 45 offend? Ha... of course it would, should I care enough to futz with it is the question :)

What the hell is going on with the rims on that early bronco?

Beats me.... , so any thoughts on the non-correct tub? And... would it be worth more in the states with the original 2F and 3sp or 3F and a 5sp? Stock or "improved"?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom