Boston Acoustics in LX450? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just put an Boston Acoustics Pro Series 12.5 in my 80 series. Wow! It is the BOMB!

So now I want MORE.

Has anyone put the Boston Pro Comp 6.5 speakers in the front doors?

How about the back doors?

I want a system that will make my ears BLEED.

It is clear now with 5.25 Kenwood Exeleron speakers in front, and 4 inch memphis speakers in the rear.

I'm running a memphis amp that sends 250w rms to the 12.5 (its a 500w monoblock) and another memphis that I think can send 150w rms to the other four speakers.

Sorry if this seems juvenile, but I love music I can feel. Which is what I'll need if I keep this up as I'll be deaf.

Is the 12.5 boxed in the back or did you find somewhere "hidden" to put it?

Were you able to put the Exeleron and Memphis speakers behind the stock grills? If so and you decide to pull them for the Boston Pro Comps, let me know b/c I might have some $.

Ok, well, I'll try to keep this short. I don't know if this is the direction you are going, but what I will recommend will adequately bleed your ears.

First, and not to rain on your parade, but 250w sent a BA sub is not going to make anything bleed. If you really want noise, at the very least you need another sub. My last system pushed 1200 watts to 2 12" alpine type R's, ported in 4 cubes. not a sound quality sub (sq) but nice nonetheless.

Second, you probably want 75-100 RMS going to each set of speakers you pick up, so like a 400x4 @ 4 ohm variety amp would suffice. I would run a set of 6.5" comps in the front and a decent set of coaxials in the rear for mid fill. i would disconnect the speakers in the trunk area. I don't know much about BA equipment, but I would browse some car audio forums before making that decision. I would recommend either alpine components or phoenix gold for price-quality ratio. 6.5 will fit in all the doors, but not with stock grills i don't believe.

At that point, you should also look into upgrading your wiring, getting another battery and a super alternator. after you do that, you decide 1200 watts isn't enough and buy two 15's or one 18. then you get a third battery, and then you're really screwed :eek:

Good luck with your build

OK.

I did not "hide" the 12. It's in the rear left corner of the truck.

The BA 12 does not produce boomy bass. It makes very accurate bass.

With 250 watts it makes the whole damn car rattle. My pants vibrate. It's in a 1 cubic foot box as per BA's instructions.

I may try to make a box that will go inside the rear wall, but not til I have the time.

If I want to give it more power the other speakers need to be able to be turned up without distortion.

I may add an 18 or 15 just for fun, but really what I want is my hand to be the determining factor on how loud it is, not the distortion of the existing speakers.

The Memphis 4" coaxles are behind factory grills, the exeleron's are not.

The entire thing is very clear up to a point (that is LOUD as hell)

However, I know that the BA is much better than the others.

I may replace the front excelerons and put them in the back seat.

I think I can paint the grills to match the interior, but am not sweating it now.

The BA 12 is very punchy, accurate bass, not boomy. Not SPF.

If I put in rock the 12 richens everything, if I put in rap, it's adequate. Not like 2 18s, but pleanty good.

I don't really want to bleed, just want SUPER clear and very powerful sound.

There are no speakers in the trunk area of my lx450.

I plan on re-doing wiring, but that is a day affair. (remove all seats, carpet, add other stuff like AC outlets, more DC outlets etc.)

I'd like to make some new rear side panels that would facilitate a 12 and an 8 or 10 on one side and a 15/18 and an 8 or 10 on the other.

The 500w monoblock I have will handle the 12 and 15/18 and the 600w 4x amp will handle the rest. I believe that Memphis makes very good amps that run true rms, not exaggerated numbers.

Ultimately I want it to sound damn good, but not be heard 3 blocks away. More of an audiophile than bass whore.

I want to run comps up front so I can bring the highs up to ear level, and feel everything else.

I may be interested in selling, but I'm sort of a parts whore. I've got an old orion dvc 15 that I replaced the surround on. A RF 18 S1 that I need to replace the surround on. 4 mb quart 5.25s. 2 mb quart 3". An older 600w LA sound amp, 300w kenwood amp, 600w jbl amp, 100w sony amp, audio works electronic crossover, and and infinity 10" bass link. I love this stuff, it's like an addiction.

Im no SQ or audio guy, but Ive had my fair share of systems in various vehicles. Get on an car stereo board and read until you can somewhat figure out what you need. I would not recomend mixing sizes of subs, thats generally not a good idea. The sub you have is a plenty for 95+% of us and the other 5% are bass heads. You dont need tons and tons of watts to have a good sounding system, just buy quality components and you should be fine.

I had Alpine subs once about 10 years ago. They lasted less than a week before the cone seperated. Could have been a bad sub, but it turned me off of all Alpine stuff except HUs. Is your HU stock?

89s is right. Mixing subs is not a good idea in most cases. You're better off doing more of the exact sub you have now. Making high quality bass means having lots of power on tap to control the woofer. You can't have too much power...
Mids and highs usually distort due to lack of power also... so keep that in mind if you're going to be changing the system.
So - get more power, more BA 12.5's and do some sound deadening.

The HU is not stock. It is a pioneer DEH-P3000IB. It's nothing special, but it will run my ipod and has xm hooked up to it as well.

I'd like to get one the pioneer double din that has the dvd and ipod controls.

I have the Boston acoustic 6.5s in front and rear doors and the 12 Boston acoustic sub in the back, I listen to mainly classic rock and blues/bluegrass ect.. and I love the setup, you will hear things you never heard before. the 6.5s are so good you can take the BA sub out and it still sounds amazing.

I have the Boston acoustic 6.5s in front and rear doors and the 12 Boston acoustic sub in the back, I listen to mainly classic rock and blues/bluegrass ect.. and I love the setup, you will hear things you never heard before. the 6.5s are so good you can take the BA sub out and it still sounds amazing.

Got pix of the install?

What are you using for power?

Where are the pics?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom