Bosch universal O2 sensor not compatible (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
In an effort to save a buck, I installed Bosch universal o2 sensor in my and my dad's 97 LCs. Long story short, the result was error code p0135 on both rigs. I replaced with Toyota parts and problem solved. Hope this saves someone time and $.

Last edited:
are these the same O2 sensors that Sumotoy was bragging on?

Only for OBDI trucks though...something about the heating circuit on the OBDII trucks makes it incompatible.

I think he said that post 95s would throw and error code. Pre 95 would not throw the code.

are these the same O2 sensors that Sumotoy was bragging on?

without searching for that thread he had stated more than once that those O2 sensors would not be compatible with the 95+ OBDII ECM. I installed the Bosch units in my 94 with no issues or CEL.

Yup.
That's my recollection of the original post, and my experience with the sensors as well--work great on my '93.

Hayes

without searching for that thread he had stated more than once that those O2 sensors would not be compatible with the 95+ OBDII ECM. I installed the Bosch units in my 94 with no issues or CEL.

OK, I would never consider using anything but OEM personally

same here. no drama no splicing, no maybe's, takes just a few minutes and they are good for another 150K

The Bosch sensors have a different resistance on the heater and the ECU reads it as a malfunctioning heater. I believe the NGK/NTK sensors are an exact OEM replacement (except for the lack of flange) and cost more or less like the Bosch ones

Correct, The Bosch sensors vs. Toyota reads different resistance in the heater circuit. I've been through this myself and finally convinced the customer to buy a OEM one. Same thing happened on a Lexus ES300.

I have seen many backyard approaches to "universal" including: butt connectors, solder & electrical tape, household wire nuts, & even shielded with heat tape from Autozone. Use OEM or proven plug in sensors only. The sensor plays a major part in your fuel trims which can effect engine life, fuel economy etc. Besides you may save money, but not in the long haul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom