Bosal , your $200 cat-back option (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I wanted to put this here for anybody thinking of re-doing there exhaust. When I started this project my exhaust was bad, really bad. It was leaking at the seal between the rear cat and the cat-back. Only one of the exhaust hangers had not rusted off and it was being held by some pipe strap. There were also large sections of exhaust supported only by some galvanized wire I had laying about. Worst of all, when I installed the 4x4 labs rear I had to take off the rear mount. So, every time I started the vehicle or went over a decent bump you would hear the exhaust come banging up against the labs bumper. It was obnoxious to say the least. With my goal of making the vehicle more road trip friendly I had to do something. So I put in an order to Rockauto and $200 plus shipping later I had this......
IMG_1503.JPG

Impressions, the actual bending looks like it was done with a combination of a pipe bender and ball peen hammers. There are areas where the pipe has some creases in it, and all bends are somewhat crush bent. I really didn't care about this. I am not under any illusions that a cat back is going to give me any noticeable performance gain on a 6500lb vehicle. When I want to get some performance back I will re-gear. So a couple of coats of Rustoleum hi temp clear coat and it was ready to go on.
IMG_1515.JPG

The fit is actually spot on. I couldn't believe it. The only difficult part about installing this system was taking the rusted bolts out of the old system. After an hour or two of getting the old one broken out of there it probably took me less than 10 minutes to install this one. The hangers are spot on and I installed using 3 OEM 17657-17010 exhaust cushions with 12 OEM 90179-06007 nuts and stainless steel hardware at the pipe connections. I did cut the rear hanger and make a custom mount through the labs bumper but it required no additional materials other than what I cut from the Bosal exhaust.
IMG_1536.JPG

Finally, its quiet, very quiet. I still have a pinhole leak up at the Y-pipe, but I can live with that for awhile longer. Overall, I would definitely buy again. Your not going to get anything close to this for the money anywhere else. Hopefully the clear coat will help keep it looking decent for a few years.

Thanks half-k. This is very helpful! I've always had a bad rattle that has progressively gotten worse this past year...rusted/broken hangers and now I've spotted a few cracks and leaks while working under the vehicle.

Why did you do the custom mount through your labs bumper? Clearance? Personal preference?

This might be the way to go for me:cheers:

Thanks half-k. This is very helpful! I've always had a bad rattle that has progressively gotten worse this past year...rusted/broken hangers and now I've spotted a few cracks and leaks while working under the vehicle.

Why did you do the custom mount through your labs bumper? Clearance? Personal preference?

This might be the way to go for me:cheers:

The labs bumper actually covers the stock rear hanger. There is a hole in the bumper that is almost directly under that hanger location. However, you cannot fit the hanger from the exhaust up through that hole. It is however quite easy to modify it if you have a cutoff wheel and a welder.

I have the magnaflow y pipe / cats and bosal center section , they fit great together. No leaks at all. I still should probably replace the rear section at some point ....

Are the Bosal Systems 409 Stainless like the Magna-flow or last 3 yrs Aluminized Steel?
Kinda of guessing not at $200.

For those with the 4x4 labs bumper and want another option for the tailpipe, I took the stock mount, and moved it to the inside of the frame rail. Cut the exhaust and moved the bend up, and then it sits much higher.
imaged.jpg
image.jpeg

Are the Bosal Systems 409 Stainless like the Magna-flow or last 3 yrs Aluminized Steel?
Kinda of guessing not at $200.

Aluminized steel, which is why I put the clear coat on there. If it last 3 years I will have gotten my moneys worth out of it.

@half k cruiser how is that bosal holding up a little over a year later? Did your clear coat hold up OK? I recently acquired a muffler & tailpipe for my '95 & am curious what to expect.

It's actually holding up pretty well other than where I smashed the tailpipe on a rock. The clearcoat defiantely helped out, it doesn't look like all of my other exhausts did after the first year.

It's actually holding up pretty well other than where I smashed the tailpipe on a rock. The clearcoat defiantely helped out, it doesn't look like all of my other exhausts did after the first year.

OK, Here we are another year later...... How's the Bosal muffler holding up? My exhaust is the same way as you described yours in 2016. I already own the Magnaflow y-pipe, second cat, but I have not installed them yet.

However, my OEM muffler recently decided it had to blow a hole in it, so I'm going to ONLY change the muffler section and only do the Y-Pipe when I HAVE to, as my cats are still good and appear to not be leaking. (until after I start banging and beating on the exhaust.......)

Anyway, was it still worth the cheap price or is it worth 4X the price to go actual OEM, based on time to replace?

Magnaflow 23120 (Y-Pipe and 1st Cat)
Magnaflow 23622 (Second Cat)
Bosal 228-241 (Muffler)
OEM Resonator (Or ANSA 29947)

OK, Here we are another year later...... How's the Bosal muffler holding up? My exhaust is the same way as you described yours in 2016. I already own the Magnaflow y-pipe, second cat, but I have not installed them yet.

However, my OEM muffler recently decided it had to blow a hole in it, so I'm going to ONLY change the muffler section and only do the Y-Pipe when I HAVE to, as my cats are still good and appear to not be leaking. (until after I start banging and beating on the exhaust.......)

Anyway, was it still worth the cheap price or is it worth 4X the price to go actual OEM, based on time to replace?

Bosal 228-241 (Muffler)
Pardon the interruption, I went with the walker direct fit. I was very happy with it. Paid $110 shipped. I don't have a resonator and it's very quiet. Looks just like the oem

Pardon the interruption, I went with the walker direct fit. I was very happy with it. Paid $110 shipped. I don't have a resonator and it's very quiet. Looks just like the oem

From where?
I cannot find a Walker direct fit muffler for a 96 Toyota Land Cruiser. I want something to keep my OEM resonator and my OEM cats at the moment. Just bolt-in.
I appreciate the info.

From where?
I cannot find a Walker direct fit muffler for a 96 Toyota Land Cruiser. I want something to keep my OEM resonator and my OEM cats at the moment. Just bolt-in.
I appreciate the info.
My fault, I didn't realize walker didn't make one for the 96. Looks like they stopped at the 95. If you are replacing, you can go with the 94 muffler over the frame since you already have the ypipe and cat, will be easy replacement and get things off the ground. Would just need a second bung after the cats.

Bosal 228-241 (Muffler)

Yes it was still worth it. The pipe has finally turned that nasty oxidized color that you expect of any vehicle that is more than 2 years on the road. But it's not leaking anywhere that I can tell.

Yes it was still worth it. The pipe has finally turned that nasty oxidized color that you expect of any vehicle that is more than 2 years on the road. But it's not leaking anywhere that I can tell.
Thanks!

That helps me make my final decision. I'll give the Bosal unit a try and a review.

Time value of money, but it means I'll be changing it more often.

For the record:

I am working on the list to gather for my truck, as my factory OEM muffler finally blew out.....

Magnaflow 23120 (Y-Pipe and 1st Cat) (O'Reilly) (My son works there so I get a great price)
Magnaflow 23622 (Second Cat) (O'Reilly) (My son works there so I get a great price)
Bosal 228-241 (Muffler) (Summit Racing) ($128.99 plus tax, free shipping)
OEM Resonator (Or ANSA 29947) (Already old one on truck or RockAuto) (RA is $78.99 plus tax plus shipping)

17567-17010 Cushion Exhaust Pipe $17.90 3 $53.70
90179-06007 Side Bracket Nut $0.98 12 $11.76
90080-43036 Pipe Gasket $9.35 2 $18.70
90080-43033 Muffler & Pipe Gasket $13.95 2 $27.90
90917-06043 Gasket Exhaust Pipe $9.46 1 $9.46
18495-76010 Retainer Converter $15.01 1 $15.01
90105-10388 Front Pipe Bolt $1.23 2 $2.46
94180-41000 Nut Lock $1.51 6 $9.06
90080-10204 Bolt Flange $1.11 4 $4.44

90080-17187 Exhaust Pipe Nut $1.51 4 $6.04
90080-12007 Exhaust Manifold Stud $5.82 4 $23.28

Toyota parts listed cover ALL gaskets, hardware, and cushion hangers from the exhaust manifold to the resonator pipe (it does NOT) include any hardware to hang the resonator, as I do not need that at this time.

Toyota parts from:
Toyota Parts | Toyota Online Parts | Genuine Toyota Parts | Toyota Parts Online

EDIT:
See the follow-up to this part of the thread.

Last edited:
For the record:

I am working on the list to gather for my truck, as my factory OEM muffler finally blew out.....

Magnaflow 23120 (Y-Pipe and 1st Cat) (O'Reilly) (My son works there so I get a great price)
Magnaflow 23622 (Second Cat) (O'Reilly) (My son works there so I get a great price)
Bosal 228-241 (Muffler) (Summit Racing) ($128.99 plus tax, free shipping)
OEM Resonator (Or ANSA 29947) (Already old one on truck or RockAuto) (RA is $78.99 plus tax plus shipping)

17567-17010 Cushion Exhaust Pipe $17.90 3 $53.70
90179-06007 Side Bracket Nut $0.98 12 $11.76
90080-43036 Pipe Gasket $9.35 2 $18.70
90080-43033 Muffler & Pipe Gasket $13.95 2 $27.90
90917-06043 Gasket Exhaust Pipe $9.46 1 $9.46
18495-76010 Retainer Converter $15.01 1 $15.01
90105-10388 Front Pipe Bolt $1.23 2 $2.46
94180-41000 Nut Lock $1.51 6 $9.06
90080-10204 Bolt Flange $1.11 4 $4.44

90080-17187 Exhaust Pipe Nut $1.51 4 $6.04
90080-12007 Exhaust Manifold Stud $5.82 4 $23.28

Toyota parts listed cover ALL gaskets, hardware, and cushion hangers from the exhaust manifold to the resonator pipe (it does NOT) include any hardware to hang the resonator, as I do not need that at this time.

Toyota parts from:
Toyota Parts | Toyota Online Parts | Genuine Toyota Parts | Toyota Parts Online

Thanks for the info! I am also looking at full exhaust replacement for a '97. Trying to decide between cheap-but-replaceable and expensive-but-hopefully-long-term. I'd like this to be a "one and done" type thing but I also don't want to put a really expensive exhaust in and then smash it on a rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom