Booster for 74 fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

H2o

Threads
I found a booster from a 1993 mini truck and thought it would bolt up to my 1974 fj40. It is hitting the parking brake cable and housing? Do I need to do any modifications to install this booster?

Thanks.

I was thinking find the correct booster, then there would be no need for modifications
can you see any differences in the 2 boosters?

I found a booster from a 1993 mini truck and thought it would bolt up to my 1974 fj40. It is hitting the parking brake cable and housing? Do I need to do any modifications to install this booster?

Thanks.

who or what made you think this MOD was possible ?

who or what made you think this MOD was possible ?
I’m happily running an early 90’s mini truck booster on my 1973. I remember there was some fiddling to do, buit not really much. I used the master that came with it as well. I’m away from my cruiser for the next two weeks, but I can take some pics when I get home.

If you are looking, City Racer 80 series non ABS booster and master are really good!

Oh brakes, I was thinking turbo 😂.

I’m happily running an early 90’s mini truck booster on my 1973. I remember there was some fiddling to do, buit not really much. I used the master that came with it as well. I’m away from my cruiser for the next two weeks, but I can take some pics when I get home.

i think the BOOSTER itself simply grew in size both in diameter and depth on USA market 40's ...

if memory serves me well , this is the WHY 🤔

Is there a reason you don’t want to get your ‘74 booster rebuilt?

I rebuilt the 74 booster myself (or really should say tore it down, cleaned it and reassembled it), but i need one part and could not find it (rear seal). so I shelved that booster. And since it is inferior to the later boosters, i thought i would upgrade. I will try to get some pictures later this week.

So I’ve been stuck at DFW for 6 hours. So I did some digging on my phone for pics. This is the best I could find
C42E17B5-18BA-41DF-91B4-F081FD3FE7C8.png
this pic was taken during tear down, so it’s more cluttered than it is now. It’s a bit tight but not as bad as it looks. I can other angles this weekend if needed.

I’m home for the weekend, this is how my booster sits. It’s a tight fit for sure. Not being a purist, it’s acceptable to me. Parking brake is operation as is the choke cable.
99CFE329-3625-44D2-A71E-D026A58D0FE0.jpeg
19217121-67F7-432B-8A79-A4401F3FCB5C.jpeg
2A3724A3-8E80-4901-9641-DC5EACA74422.jpeg

I used the OEM holes and brackets. As I recall, I did have to fiddle with the rod length to get a good feeling pedal.
BE2DF0D8-5F5C-43EA-8319-44590E15FFC1.jpeg

For the purist out there, I passed that fork in the road 20 years ago. I understand this won’t make everyone happy, but it works well for me. I’m also not shooting down any vendors on here- I use them on occasion as well. For those looking to keep their truck functional or upgrading on a budget (that is often passed by cruiser parts pricing)- I got this booster and master cylinder for around $40 at the pick n pull. It was a bit of a gamble on if they’d honor a return, but I felt the gamble was worth it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom