Boone's Big Adventure - Planning/buildout Thread- April 17th- May 1 2021- ID UT AZ MOAB (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
backcountryadventuretime.com
WELCOME TO BOONES BIG ADVENTURE!
April 17th - May 1st.
DETAILS ON HOW TO GET FREE STUFF:

During the trip, we will be constantly updating our location and the entire route is posted. We will be constantly monitoring HAM 146.460.
WE WANT YOU TO COME FIND US AND JOIN THE CONVOY!
WE WANT TO SEE IT LIKE THE LOCALS

First 5 people who come find us and scan the QR code on the side of the FJC will receive the choice of a FREE hat or t-shirt. Everyone gets free stickers, and everyone gets to meet Boone.

This is OPEN INVITATION trip. Anyone is welcome to join for part, all of the trip, or meet up with us in AZ or if you happen to be in Moab when we are we would love company. WE WANT TO SEE THE STUFF THE LOCALS DO. That being said, you are expected to be 100% self reliant. I can render assistance should you need but I will not put myself in harms way because of your actions. We are also going to stick to a strict schedule, with Bryan taking the position as convoy leader. If he says we are going to be at a certain point at a certain time that is set in stone, baring any sort of unforeseen circumstances in which we will work our best to communicate and work through. So if he says convoy is leaving in an hour, you got to be ready to move.

We will also be documenting the planning and buildout of all our equipment, gear prep, travel planning ETC. Feel free to watch and offer suggestions. This is gonna be a blast.

Lastly a picture of Boone, because we all know he's the star of the show.
IMG_3414.JPG

Legal Disclaimer:
NOT AN OFFICIALLY ENDORSED TRIP, JUST A GROUP OF FRIENDS, Activities portrayed in this thread may be inherently dangerous. Anyone who attempts to recreate such activities should do so at their own risk.

Last edited:
Official Route : updated 02/09/2021
  • 4/17/2021 Departure.
4:00 am departure from 4Corners with a pavement burn to the Green river/North of Moab area. When doing an early departure we like our first fuel stop in Rexburg, Id. By then the sun is starting to rise, the world is coming alive and Jack-in-The-Box is open! I know it's fast food but the boy loves their tacos! Conveniently there is a gas station just down the road. So, while getting Jack-In-The-Box and going potty the rig is getting fuel and dogs are getting walked.
From Rexburg to Green river/North of Moab fuel, potty, lunch will be planned as one stop, doggy potty will be at the next exit out. We have learned that they are more relaxed and helps them get the wiggles out. We should be into Green River area around 3:30-4:00pm.

• 4/17/2021-4/19/202 Greenriver, ut./Moab.
Why Green-river/North of Moab for landing? Simply put, lots of people in Moab for Cruise to Moab. This gives us the advantage of being in the Moab neighborhood with the benefit of seclusion.
This will also give us time to catch up with those who are in the area for Cruise Moab, fuel, potty, food....etc.

• 4/19/2021-4/21/2021
Leave Moab and head into the La Sal Mountains. Toot around there until Wednesday. Fuel/provisions in La Sal, Ut then off to Kane Creek Trail.

• 4/21/2021-4/25/2021
Leave La Sal run some highway to Kane Creek Trl. From there we are off on the dirt headed west. The route from here is dirt and views to the 95. We will be paralleling the Colorado, getting some god shots at the 'Confluence' and all of Utah's beauty. The route planned will take us to Cottonwodd wash rd and hwy 95.

• 4/25/2021-4/27/2021
As much as I hate to back track it will be necesarry on this leg. Once we hit Cottonwood and the 95 we will have some thirsty rigs that will require fuel in Blanding before running to Hanksville.
Hanksville is a restock and a chance to see Goblin State Park (best night time photography in North America, so I'm told).

*Routs are based on 3-4 day provisions and 230 mile fuel range with (1) 5 gallon reserve.*
Update 2/11
I have the route planned from Hanksville/Goblin Valley headed north to Wellington. Now that I have the route planned I am going to be looking for extra cool things along the way.
Views of the 'Confluence', hide and seek in Goblin Valley, staying up late for views of the night sky, The Green River Museum (great exhibit on early explores of the Colorado river, talk about going into the unknown), The Jurassic Monument (which has the largest collection of fossils from the Jurassic era in one area) and not to mention all of the hieroglyphics and oddities along the way.

Last edited:
Official Route : updated 02/09/2021
  • 4/17/2021 Departure.
4:00 am departure from 4Corners with a pavement burn to the Green river/North of Moab area. When doing an early departure we like our first fuel stop in Rexburg, Id. By then the sun is starting to rise, the world is coming alive and Jack-in-The-Box is open! I know it's fast food but the boy loves their tacos! Conveniently there is a gas station just down the road. So, while getting Jack-In-The-Box and going potty the rig is getting fuel and dogs are getting walked.
From Rexburg to Green river/North of Moab fuel, potty, lunch will be planned as one stop, doggy potty will be at the next exit out. We have learned that they are more relaxed and helps them get the wiggles out. We should be into Green River area around 3:30-4:00pm.

Why Green-river/North of Moab for landing? Simply put, lots of people in Moab for Cruise to Moab. This gives us the advantage of being in the Moab neighborhood with the benefit of seclusion.
This will also give us time to catch up with those who are in the area for Cruise Moab, fuel, potty, food....etc.

• 4/19/2021-4/21/2021
Leave Moab and head into the La Sal Mountains. Toot around there until Wednesday. Fuel/provisions in La Sal, Ut then off to Kane Creek Trail.

• 4/21/2021-4/25/2021
Leave La Sal run some highway to Kane Creek Trl. From there we are off on the dirt headed west. The route from here is dirt and views to the 95. We will be paralleling the Colorado, getting some god shots at the 'Confluence' and all of Utah's beauty. The route planned will take us to Cottonwodd wash rd and hwy 95.

• 4/25/2021-4/27/2021
As much as I hate to back track it will be necesarry on this leg. Once we hit Cottonwood and the 95 we will have some thirsty rigs that will require fuel in Blanding before running to Hanksville.
Hanksville is a restock and a chance to see Goblin State Park (best night time photography in North America, so I'm told).

*Routs are based on 3-4 day provisions and 230 mile fuel range with (1) 5 gallon reserve.*
Update 2/11
I have the route planned from Hanksville/Goblin Valley headed north to Wellington. Now that I have the route planned I am going to be looking for extra cool things along the way.
Views of the 'Confluence', hide and seek in Goblin Valley, staying up late for views of the night sky, The Green River Museum (great exhibit on early explores of the Colorado river, talk about going into the unknown), The Jurassic Monument (which has the largest collection of fossils from the Jurassic era in one area) and not to mention all of the hieroglyphics and oddities along the way.

Last edited:
As part of the prep for this trip, I will be redoing all the interior of the FJC. First step is stripping everything out and taking measurements. One last picture of my old set up. 5 years of dog hair and sand to clean out. FJC drives like a dream with no weight in the back, gained a couple of inches in the rear.
IMG_9130.jpg
IMG_9114.jpg

Way to go! Cool thread and rad that you two would open it up to everyone!

Whats your plan for the rear of the FJC?

Way to go! Cool thread and rad that you two would open it up to everyone!

Whats your plan for the rear of the FJC?
I'm talking to a guy on Saturday about all the stuff that were going to do. Stay tuned. its going to be one off all custom. here's a preview
IMG_9213.jpg

Dual batteries are in. Shots of the before and after. I’m replacing this air compressor, anyone interested in buying it?
F8D9E64F-51C5-4C73-BEFC-C81BEF486BF7.jpeg

610C3C56-BF0D-4B7B-97DA-7F5F6DB9B571.jpeg
5E6D0E60-B801-41A1-A2C1-525B3F85AD0F.jpeg
C91334DD-3A28-40C1-9236-F93633BB72C8.jpeg
D9826855-1E68-4410-B281-7A0C0520950C.jpeg

Super excited to plan this trip! Trip planning is the beginning of a great adventure!

I am currently eyeing several different routes in different states. The final route is currently up to 400 miles on dirt, at least one museum, pavement and one heck of a good time!

I will be posting up some different routes I am eyeing shortly.

Weather is going to be the deciding factor in the final route which will be decided closer to departure.
Our departure date is, as mentioned above, April 17 (Time TBD but it will be from 4Corners) and head to Idaho Falls.
In no particular order; Montana, Idaho, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Wyoming are all in play.

Should you plan to join the convoy please plan to be self sufficient for s minimum of four days (food, water, fuel, basic tool kit, etc....) and have your rig in good working mechanical condition. With that being said, departure date is rapidly approaching so now may be the time to get some stuff done that has been on the list. Break downs are bound to happen, however, fixing a potential problem before the trip is much appreciated by the rest of the group.

Lot's of excitement to come and am looking forward to all!

"Wrap your mittens around your kittens and AWAY we go!"

Lots of prep going on in the shop!

More route planning tonight.
Preliminary route planning:
Idaho:
Idaho falls, then west toward central Idaho, eventually south towards Mt. Home. Fuel, re-stock in Mt. Home before running some highway to Utah.
Utah:
North and South San Rafael Swell, Moab, Kokopelli's Trail into Colorado.
I am looking at a little more in southern Utah, northern Arizona and western Colorado just in case Idaho is a bust due to weather.

Something I didn't mention before, All routes are based on a 230 mile fuel range with one five gallon jerry can reserve. We are planning on carrying a 20 gallon reserve just in case.
3a7x36wrTc2U47YR5dVCaA.jpg
5RiJPy65RSa0atjequjoDw.jpg

are you wearing any safety glasses or shield when cutting?

isn't Mountain Home kinda the wrong way to get towards Moab?

are you wearing any safety glasses or shield when cutting?

isn't Mountain Home kinda the wrong way to get towards Moab?
Yes it is. Looking at doing a loop from Idaho Falls to Challis then on to Stanley and work our way down to Mt. Home while exploring the Sawtooth National Forest. From Mt. Home we will bomb to Utah.
Not sure this early if Idaho will pan out that early in the season. If it does we can spend a couple days scouting a new area for future trips later in the season. If it doesn't I have research for future trips when the weather works and we head straight south. A lot of brainstorming happening right now.

@ttFJC Have you had any luck finding a time and place to do the axle maintenance you had posted about elsewhere?

@ttFJC Have you had any luck finding a time and place to do the axle maintenance you had posted about elsewhere?
Its on the TODO list. I have a YUUUGGGEE list of stuff that needs to be addressed before April. I'm going OEM Toyota and using the old OEM as a trail spare. So ill probs have a couple extra used axles for sale soon.

I had some time the last few days to work on route planning while waiting on parts.
This is what I have planned for week one;
  • 4/17/2021 Departure.

• 4/19/2021-4/21/2021

• 4/21/2021-4/25/2021

• 4/25/2021-4/27/2021

would join in with karma if we could.. but can't. stupid virus :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom