Bonnie '62 FST in WA (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No cover came with it @63cruiser, but I do have one. I now know this was a style used in '64.

Last edited:
Bringing the original lettering back.
20200914_121634.jpg

I like that the zinc and gray paint on the buckets is well preserved. It's like this truck was on the moon, fine dust everywhere. Am using the nozzle attachment on the vacuum cleaner a lot.
20200914_112015.jpg

Last edited:
About those barn doors...

In @Ocho77's original post there was discussion about them.

The sill is rusted where the outer tailgate hinges would have been, but the center is more solid and I don't see any evidence of past holes. I look where I think the tailgate chain would have bolted to the frame and I don't see any sign of filled holes, inside or outside. The inner paint seems original.
20200914_182849.jpg

@3_puppies says he recalls a '62 FST with barn doors years back:
P9230029.JPG

and @whitey45 says he's heard of them but never seen one. So I think this truck just came that way.

Curious thing, my Jan. 1964 built hardtop did not have footman loops.
20200914_175725.jpg

Bonnie's footman loops are bolted on. Not welded:
20200914_175421.jpg

So when did welded footman loops start on barn doors? These doors seem period correct, from the little I know.

Shining the bat light for @Living in the Past

Last edited:
About those barn doors...

In @Ocho77's original post there was discussion about them.

The sill is rusted where the outer tailgate hinges would be, but the center is more solid and I don't see any evidence of past holes. I look where it think the tailgate chain would have bolted and I don't see any sign of filled holes, inside or outside. The inner paint seems original.
View attachment 2436126

@3_puppies says he recalls a '62 FST with barn doors years back:
View attachment 2436144

and @whitey45 says he's heard of them but never seen one. So I think this truck just came that way.

Curious thing, my Jan. 1964 built hardtop did not have footman loops.
View attachment 2436137
Bonnie's footman loops are bolted on. Not welded:
View attachment 2436141
So when did welded footman loops start on barn doors? These doors seem period correct, from the little I know.

Shining the bat light for @Living in the Past

Not sure what you want to know.? Toyota did import FST models with barn doors. I bought FST tub with barn doors. Was told it was a 63 but found an insurance card in the glove box that showed it was 1962 production and not late in the year. If you notice the picture from Paul @3_puppies the license plate bracket is held on with screws not spot welded. Same with footman loops
Think it was later in 62 both these were spot welded. Only FST models had footman loops until later in the sixties (mid 65?).

Not sure what you want to know.? Toyota did import FST models with barn doors. I bought FST tub with barn doors. Was told it was a 63 but found an insurance card in the glove box that showed it was 1962 production and not late in the year. If you notice the picture from Paul @3_puppies the license plate bracket is held on with screws not spot welded. Same with footman loops
Think it was later in 62 both these were spot welded. Only FST models had footman loops until later in the sixties (mid 65?).
Ah. I wanted to know my barn doors could be by Mr. T and not a PO addition. My license plate bracket is bolted on too. So I guess these are early stock doors used for an FST. Looks like I don't need [one of USER=68778]@Nifski[/USER]'s tailgates. Thank you LITP.

Last edited:
Ah. I wanted to know my barn doors could be by Mr. T and not a PO addition. My license plate bracket is bolted on too. So I guess these are early stock doors used for an FST. Looks like I don't need @Nifski's tailgates. Thank you LITP.

What I have noticed on the early FST barns doors verses the hard top of the same period is FST only had a single latch on the right door to hold it close. FHT had a latch on both doors. Have a later 62 product FHT that the VIN says it's a 63 model. The barn doors were gone but has two catches just like the 61 FHT I have.

Bringing the original lettering back.
View attachment 2435725

I like that the zinc and gray paint on the buckets is well preserved. It's like this truck was on the moon, fine dust everywhere. Am using the nozzle attachment on the vacuum cleaner a lot.
View attachment 2435739

Were those headlight buckets open in the back? Believe the open back didn't start until the seventies. Would have to check the early vehicles I have left, a 60 FJ25 and 61 FJ40. Plus another 61 FJ40 bib. Think those all were closed. My 68 and 70 FJ40s are in another location but almost possible the 68 is closed.

Well it only has one barn door barrel latch on the right door.
20200914_225240.jpg

Not sure what an open or closed headlight bucket is, only have early trucks. It looks like this:
20200914_223938.jpg

Which seems like this from a '64 parts catalog.
20200914_224155.jpg

Last edited:
@ToyotaMatt, a man among men (and FJ40 women), the deep fountain of TEQ knowledge, told me he _knew_ these early rear tail lights were bib lights in red. Foolishly I didn't believe it but sure enough. [Good enough edits Matt?]

20200917_135203.jpg
20200917_135235.jpg

The code for a red lens is L1089.

Last edited:
Home sweet home.
20201012_113708.jpg

Uncovering nice bows and channels. PO must of owned stock in Bondo Corp.
20201012_211640.jpg

Hell must be made of burning Bondo. Note to self, be good.
20201012_211610.jpg

How thick can this stuff be? Don't ask.
20201012_172837.jpg

20201012_165459.jpg

Reading up on Husky Hubs. Made in Colorado, and a dealer option back in the day. What would of been stock?
20201026_211409.jpg

Last edited:
What's the story on Husky hubs? Made in Colorado. What would of been stock?View attachment 2478226

the HUSKEY company in Colorado was much like WARN in early days

they were installed in International Scouts and Scout II's

Kiaser era JEEP's

and ford early broncos etc ..
and 4wd pickup ups of all kinds too

like much early 4WD assys in the golden age of Discovery , the bigger companies who made it swallowed up the mom and pops who did not

or simply shut doors

this could Compair a bit in a real world facts :

- from day 1 NipponDenso Co. ltd. was a partnership and collaboration between Robert Bosch and well the Nippon;'s and Denso's

of Japan in a effort to dominate there nitch specialty markets after post WWII

remember history here : Japan and Germany were AXIS power allies .......

after a long and properious Run , there was a rift between Robert Bosch and the Nippons and Denso

the giant and great was split up and broken down into small more manageable well sub companies

Robert simply became the " BOSCH " we know today

and NipponDenso , chose a single easy to speak title we know today as ' DENSO "

nippons either bailed or were swallowed up , un sure ?

- some may say or recall a very recent TOYOTA genuine parts purchase that had the ND logo or a decal or other branding on it

thats because the same DAM Jigs , patterns and manufacturing equipment and artwork rendering , was and is in continues use even today :

I now am required to take in stock orders of well lets just say more then a few 10Pak cases of these each month ........

- look closely at the Old Skool ND and made in japan NipponDenso Logos cast into the blow mold plastic jars

this is because , the same darn molds are still being used in 2020 , as in FJ25 / 1962-63 FJ40 Days

this exact Bottle Design Now updated with a smaller filler port on top and the pomp in a rear simple added round hole

the OLD TOP Black external R2D2 washer pumps motors that sat proudly , with a real glass suction tube down into the bottle well cavity to suck and pump fluid out

my 1965 and 1963 paper parts catalogers Show this Unit as a " OPTION dealer installed , inner fender i always have seen as well too

if anyone has any Old Skool NipponDenso History ,PM me please

Tech Pics :

Reading up on Husky Hubs. Made in Colorado, and a dealer option back in the day. What would of been stock?View attachment 2478226

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 8.32.31 AM.png

Im pretty sure Cruisers showed up with just a hub flange ( #6). Locking hubs were a dealer add on for less wear on the front end and i think better gas mileage.

Ah. Do the finned Warns fit the Acorn hubcap cutout?

Which ones are finned?
Stock and aftermarket Acorn caps with the holes cut out should fit most hubs. The Warn M47D hubs are a little tight with stock, (dealer cut) hub caps.

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 9.38.01 AM.png

These:

Screenshot_20201027-094959_Chrome.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom