Bone stock 1974 40's....need pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. I haven't been around in a while. I have a lead on a 1974 40 that needs a lot of work. I have a friend that is going to do the metal work for next to nothing.

The truck isn't going to be a resto but I would like to know what type of front fender lights it should have and other details that a few confirmed stock photos might show me. I appreciate all the help in advance.

No stock pics but...

Some answers...

Smaller rectangular turn signals, marker lights on side aprons, single wiper motor on top of windshield, rubber blocks for windshield to fold down to, one piece hood, smaller rectangular locking gas door, single backup light on left rear side (I think, mine was long gone), stamped steel tire carier on right side, two small tailgates hinged from sides, single rear hatch, dash pads across bottom with hole for radio, black dash pad across top...

SOR.com is great for diagrams.

Mine is a 74... But it's not so stock anymore... Ask if you've got more questions.

Has two different front signals on fenders.

null_zps3e7b8d46.jpg

null_zpsbdf94cb4.jpg

Aside from some floor board rust it doesn't look bad in pictures. I'm going to try to go get an idea of frame rust soon before committing to a purchase.

The rectangular one would be stock for 74, but that's a 72 or 73.

I'd check the serial number on the front a of the right frame rail, and the tags on the door post.

I bet it's also got round tail lights... As well as the older split hood.

Check the inner frame rail around the front of the rear spring, and the rear cross member and tail end of the frame... That's where I've seen the most rust.

Will do. I'll also go back and make sure he said 74 and not 73.

ETA: He advertised it as a '74. I'll have to do some digging.

Last edited:
The rectangular one would be stock for 74, but that's a 72 or 73.
'71 was the last year for split hood.

The roof has recessed windows ('74 had flush, as did '72) which I believe went away in 10/1970 or '71. My guess is it's a '70 as it does not have the bolt-on cowl vents of '69.

Even the tub is not a '74 as it does not have a fuel door which was introduced in '73.

'71 was the last year for split hood.

The roof has recessed windows ('74 had flush, as did '72) which I believe went away in 10/1970 or '71. My guess is it's a '70 as it does not have the bolt-on cowl vents of '69.

Even the tub is not a '74 as it does not have a fuel door which was introduced in '73.

Learning about the new gas doors post 78 thanks for that.

The windows changed with the 72 model in 71.

A 74 would have two reverse lights not one. the 74 model (9/73) was the first year the tail lights were no longer round but instead a rectangle with separate turn signal and reverse lights.

The windows changed with the 72 model in 71.

I knew it was either '70 or '71 but did not have my notes here at work. Thank you for that. I was hoping you would chime in.

At any ate, in answer to your original query - the right indicator on the fender is the correct indicator for a 1970 or 1971 (and for a 1974 incidentally, though this is definitely not a 1974). The left one is correct for a tractor built using a JC Whitney kit I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom