Bonding hood supports to hood skin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
I'm seeing a few products discussed, all so far are 2 parts that mix during application via a special applicator gun. While this is apparently the most common solution I'm wondering about single part products that can be applied with a standard caulking gun that will perform similarly. Is this just wishful thinking? I'm not wanting to be penny-wise and pound foolish but...

PL Urethane construction adhesive from Home Depot. I have used this on FJ55s, 60s, 62s, hoods (all have popped loose from the brace) etc. to great effect. Sticks forever and priced right. I would not use a 'regular' construction adhesive (Liquid Nails, for a lack of a more creative way to express this). Urethane adhesives are really good stuff. Clean any surfaces (that you plan to glue) under the hood that might have oil and gunk sprayed on them over the years.

After applying, I closed the hood on a 2x4 (on end) that I placed between the brace and the valve cover, and the weight of the hood helped press the brace tight to the hood while it cured for 24 hours. You should find some way to press the loose brace against the hood sheet metal.

@woytovich - Is it resistant to gas and oil? How about heat? Does it remain flexible?

Yes - it remains slightly flexible - it's not rock hard, but it's very tough and stiff when dry.

From the data sheet - Loctite® PL® Premium can be removed mechanically once cured. Solvents have little to no effect on cured adhesive.

and: (Cured) Service Temperature: -40°F (-40°C) to 160°F (71°C)

Attachments

• LOC-PL-Premium-3X---2019.12.pdf
    253.4 KB · Views: 20

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom