Bolts

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Dianna, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Dianna

Dianna

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm herculining my interior and was wondering what type of bolts I should use to replace some rusted ones. I have seen some people recommend stainless but I'm concerned with the dissimiliar metals... I live in Ohio so I want to be able to remove it if needed without it snapping off! Thanks for any help, I tried searching with no avail!

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    " dissimiliar metals "

This is typically only an issue with ferrous and non-ferrous materials. (Steel and aluminum) Using a stainless fastener in a hole that is of mild steel should not present an issue.

Good luck!

-Steve

3. Ethan

Ethan

.....at least it will take such a long time to see any kind of decay that its not worth thinking about. even different alloys of aluminum when put together can cause this, but it take a long time. One thing about stainless is that you should use never seize because stainless can seize if over tightened. If I get new bolts I try to only use stainless otherwise a good steele bolt looks 30 years old in one year in the fog belt.

4. FLFJ40

FLFJ40

If you use anti-sieze won't that eliminate any possibility of dissimiliar metals corrosion?

5. LandCruiserSteve

LandCruiserSteve

Is there a good (cost-effective) source for buying stainless 10mm and 12mm bolts in quantity that precisely replicate the OEM style (built-in washer and lock washer)?

6. albee

albee

It would be nice to have a restoration check list for bolts. Like what size and type of bolts go where.

7. John Smith

John Smith In the garage

Media:
    Albums:
    While I doubt they will carry the OEM style with built in washer they do have good prices on bulk nuts and bolts. http://www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex

8. lunap

lunap

do a search in this forum. There is a post with correct sizes and a link to a company that sells the correct bolts.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.