1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bolts

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Dianna, Aug 1, 2005.

1. Dianna

Dianna

Media:
    Albums:
    I'm herculining my interior and was wondering what type of bolts I should use to replace some rusted ones. I have seen some people recommend stainless but I'm concerned with the dissimiliar metals... I live in Ohio so I want to be able to remove it if needed without it snapping off! Thanks for any help, I tried searching with no avail!

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    " dissimiliar metals "

This is typically only an issue with ferrous and non-ferrous materials. (Steel and aluminum) Using a stainless fastener in a hole that is of mild steel should not present an issue.

Good luck!

-Steve

3. Ethan

Ethan

.....at least it will take such a long time to see any kind of decay that its not worth thinking about. even different alloys of aluminum when put together can cause this, but it take a long time. One thing about stainless is that you should use never seize because stainless can seize if over tightened. If I get new bolts I try to only use stainless otherwise a good steele bolt looks 30 years old in one year in the fog belt.

4. FLFJ40

FLFJ40

If you use anti-sieze won't that eliminate any possibility of dissimiliar metals corrosion?

5. LandCruiserSteve

LandCruiserSteve

Is there a good (cost-effective) source for buying stainless 10mm and 12mm bolts in quantity that precisely replicate the OEM style (built-in washer and lock washer)?

6. albee

albee

It would be nice to have a restoration check list for bolts. Like what size and type of bolts go where.

7. John Smith

John Smith In the garage

Media:
    Albums:
    While I doubt they will carry the OEM style with built in washer they do have good prices on bulk nuts and bolts. http://www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex

8. lunap

lunap

do a search in this forum. There is a post with correct sizes and a link to a company that sells the correct bolts.