Bolt on turbo kit (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
*Edited 8/25/2018

This post has been taken over by @NLXTACY he has taken the reigns from my information gathering post to see if people would be interested in a kit to actually putting a kit into production.

At this time it looks like there will be around 25 kits. There is no priority except for those that have pre-paid.

I know it is a long thread and there are a lot of changes but please read through from page 1 to the end to know exactly what you will be getting.

**Edited** 04/01/2019
The time is here! Here is the link to order the Turbo Kit!

80 Series 1FZ Wits' End Turbo Kit- CARB Cert-pending, OBD2 only

Last edited:
I go back and forth on wanting a turbo. It would be nice if the kit kept the stock air cleaner.

Yep retaining the stock air box would be a must. Too many people with snorkels and the stock air box is a great setup.

I go back and forth on wanting a turbo. It would be nice if the kit kept the stock air cleaner.

Would the kit include the down pipe?

Sounds like a way better deal than a super charger if you could get a kit for 4K and have an inter cooler.

Considering a supercharger (currently not available) is at the same price point, it would make sense.

I think the only concern people have about CXRacing kit is the quality of the header.

I would be way more worried with the wrong size s*** turbo, and the s*** waste gates and blow off valves. In actuality they have improved thier manifold and it is now the appropriate thickness. I use schedule 40 stainless with a 0.145" wall thickness theirs is now 11ga so a 0.140" thickness, as long as the welds are good their manifold isn't the worst part. I don't care for the design but I understand the whole point is to be as cheap as possible, but it is not twin scroll, etc. Plus their revised intercooler placement is horizontal under the bumper??

Considering a supercharger (currently not available) is at the same price point, it would make sense.

I think the only concern people have about CXRacing kit is the quality of the header.

Last edited:
Yeah CXRacing is kind of garbage. Some quality bit of kit would be interesting. The ability to bolt on 100hp at the wheels in your driveway in a weekend would be a real sweet deal.

It probably wouldn't be 100hp to the wheels more like 60-70, you have limitations in fueling etc. But the TRD SC is around 45.

But if baseline is 135awhp, you're talking about a 45% increase in HP compared to about 30-35% with the TRD SC.

Yeah CXRacing is kind of garbage. Some quality bit of kit would be interesting. The ability to bolt on 100hp at the wheels in your driveway in a weekend would be a real sweet deal.

I would be way more worried with the wrong size s*** turbo, and the s*** waste gates and blow off valves. In actuality they have improved there manifold and it is now the appropriate thickness. I use schedule 40 stainless with a 0.145" wall thickness theirs is now 11ga so a 0.140" thickness, as long as the welds are good their manifold isn't the worst part. I don't care for the design but I understand the whole point is to be as cheap as possible, but it is not twin scroll, etc. Plus their revised intercooler placement is horizontal under the bumper??

So, where would the intercooler be placed in this new setup? Given most of us have ARB or other brand bumpers.

TRD SC = CARB/smog compliant.
XYZ TC = ????

That would be the concern of anyone that needs to deal with smog checks/compliancy etc.

cheers,
george.

It would likely be an A/W setup with the heat exchanger behind the grill on the passenger side and a small intercooler in the engine bay. That way it would work with dual batteries, different bumper setups, you wouldn't have to relocate the trans cooler, etc.

So, where would the intercooler be placed in this new setup? Given most of us have ARB or other brand bumpers.

Yep this is of no help to the people in CA.

TRD SC = CARB/smog compliant.
XYZ TC = ????

That would be the concern of anyone that needs to deal with smog checks/compliancy etc.

cheers,
george.

It probably wouldn't be 100hp to the wheels more like 60-70, you have limitations in fueling etc. But the TRD SC is around 45.

But if baseline is 135awhp, you're talking about a 45% increase in HP compared to about 30-35% with the TRD SC.

Limitations in the fuel pump, injectors, or the computers ability to trim in enough fuel? I guess for $4k I'd want 100hp minimum.

Injectors and the computer. 60awhp is roughly 100hp at the crank once you figure the 30+% drivetrain loss. i.e. stock 212hp dynos 130-135awhp.

Limitations in the fuel pump, injectors, or the computers ability to trim in enough fuel? I guess for $4k I'd want 100hp minimum.

In Utah they eliminated safety ispections, and they don't do smog test in rural areas. So I guess anything goes now. ;)

Just saw your post after asking above... lol. Subscribed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom