bolt on portals! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
From the LCML;

To: Land Cruiser Mailing
> > Subject: [LCML] Bolt on portal axels for cruisers
> and partols
> >
> > Spotted this on the local 4wd list. New product
> out from
> > Marks 4wd. Photos 33, 34 and 35.
> >
> > Guy
> > 1985 FJ40,
> > Christchurch, NZ
> > LCML Homepage/Unsubscribe:
> http://andic.co.nz/preview/
>
> (pics 33,34,35)
>

Interesting. Thanks.

Christo,
What's your definition of "moderate tire sizes?" I think that it might differ from other folks definition of moderate.

Curran said:
Christo,
What's your definition of "moderate tire sizes?" I think that it might differ from other folks definition of moderate.

Christo definately has a slightly different definition of moderate. :D

these are intresting. how do you think these would run on a DD i know a daily driver these would be considered over kill but clearence is always nice ta have. I wounder what a set will cost?

mike

seems like they would also put the tire pretty far out. Basically widen the stance a good bit.

Interesting. I would love to have a pair of bolt on portals. That kills many birds for me. When are these coming out? It would be nice to see some details and price info..

Thanks

Brian i totally agree. If the tire is spaced out that far, it's going to rub the piss out of the fenders. That will be a real issue when going to big tires.

Am I the only one that thinks the axles were shortened to account for the added portal assembly and that these won't necessarily change the total axle width at the wheel? Or am I way off base and we are talking about a different issue?

parabola said:
Am I the only one that thinks the axles were shortened to account for the added portal assembly and that these won't necessarily change the total axle width at the wheel? Or am I way off base and we are talking about a different issue?

I would think the axles were NOT shortned. Seems like a "bolt on" would not include axle chopping.

TiredIronGRB said:
You can tell it's a stock length axle from the spring pad to "Ball" distance.
But look at the distance between the diff and and the spring pad...

your stock axle:

TLC_66.jpg

their portal axle:

PC00035.jpg

I would like to see what would happen if one were to Bo Duke that system over Boss Hogs Caddy. Do you think Cooter has metric tools and a few extra spindle housings in the shop. A steering assist cyl would be a must too. That extra moment arm would really make the power steering groan. Neat idea, but the negatives to me say thumbs down.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what exactly are portal axles, and what advantage do they have over a stock axle?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom