Bolt On Caster Correction (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering how the progress is on the bolt on caster correction that Slee was working on. I know Christo has been on vacation for some time now but I'm anxious to see what they will come out with.

I did talk to Ben on the phone a couple weeks ago and learned a little about the caster correction but I'm impatient and want an update for us all. :D

I'm coming to the decision that I want to run J springs with 295/75/16's and a way to correct caster back to stock is what I'm waiting for. (Well that and money)

Call his shop Darwood. I believe both Robbie and Ben are there and can fill you in. They'll certainly know more than we would.

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=11257;start=msg102018#msg102018 date=1076356560] They'll certainly know more than we would.
[/quote]

SLAM..............ouch :D

I think Slee is back.......he replied to a post of mine this weekend

I did talk to Ben two weeks ago and he was very informative. I just wanted to post something here to see if Robbie or Christo post (or others).

Apparently Ben doesn't do the the iH8mud thing. ;)

It would be quicker to call them, than to post here thinking they may read it. :doh:

Pimp - Christo was checking in from SA, not sure if he's back or not, but I know he was checking in when there occassionally.

Still trying to recover from jet lag but back. The bolt on caster correction is in a box on my toolbox :) It turns out that it will not be a just bolt on deal. It will have to involve some trimming of the axle brackets to make it work. The issue is clearance of the tie-rod to control arms.

How about losing the rear steer, and going for a high steer system using arms similar to the OTT industies units for the FZJ80 axle? This would bring the relay rod up (along with the panhard bar) a couple of inches for use with taller lifts.... I think they use the ABS hole to mount, though... that could be an issue. Guess you will just have to include custom arms with it. :D

Well, yes, but that would defeat the whole idea of having an inexpensive caster correction kit. Also, not sure if the OTT arms clear the front panhard rod on the coils sprung application. Also loosing the ABS is not an option for the target customer for this kit.

Thanks Christo for posting, and hope you had a nice trip.

Pretty much that was what Ben said about the bracket when I asked him. I wonder now though, how much trimming would be needed and why not just require a hole in the existing bracket since all that is really being done is relocating a hole. I would think a drilled hole would be easier than cutting off part of the existing bracket.

There could be more here than I realize though...

:flipoff2: his ears were burning :D

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=11257;start=msg102081#msg102081 date=1076362346]
It would be quicker to call them, than to post here thinking they may read it. :doh:

Pimp - Christo was checking in from SA, not sure if he's back or not, but I know he was checking in when there occassionally.
[/quote]

Why does it seem like I'm the only one interested in this?

I'm interested in it but I can't do anything for a while do to money and outside temperatures. Basides my caster right now is ok and untill I mount the winch and respring I won't need it. So no need to torment Christo about it now.

Anyone who thinks the s***ty caster on a lifted truck is "ok", obviously hasnt driven a caster corrected lifted truck.

The kit Christo is making is a simple bolt on with a little grinding, no pressing, and offers double what bushes offer, without the wear factor or diff housing cracks the bushes do.

The car can also be returned to standard by unbolting the plates and returning the car back to normal.

A job anyone with a dremel, or 4" grinder and a couple of spanners can do at home. [just need to make a little room for the bottom bolt through the brackets]

[And yes, the front bolts arent tight yet..... ;) ]

[quote author=the shedguy [Aus/CAC] link=board=2;threadid=11257;start=msg102726#msg102726 date=1076450996]
Anyone who thinks the s#!tty caster on a lifted truck is "ok", obviously hasnt driven a caster corrected lifted truck.
[/quote]

if this was directed in my general direction, I have the OME offset bushings right now. How much lift can those plates acomidate? I read that J's are outside the bushings range.

If your anyone, take it as you wish..... :flipoff2

to get some neg camber to make the big tyres drive better,

:
kingpinGood.jpg

will make for a much nicer machine to drive, and 33" and up tyres should run from 3mm to 6mm toe in as well. [es even constant 4wd]

But the handling, and tyre wear will dictate what is the "right" amount for your tyre size.

[quote author=landtank link=board=2;threadid=11257;start=msg102733#msg102733 date=1076451378]
if this was directed in my general direction, I have the OME offset bushings right now. How much lift can those plates acomidate? I read that J's are outside the bushings range.
[/quote]

To quote Cdan, 3" of lift takes out approx. 4.5 degrees of caster.

Here's what Dan reported to us on November 10, 2003:

"Finally had time to press the bushings. (BOY, I can hardly wait til I get to do that again ).

To refresh, Spec is +3 deg +/- 1 deg. I was at -1.4 on the left and -1.5 on the right. After, it is +.9 on the left and +.8 on the right. A correction of 2.3 degrees on both sides. Not enough to get it back where it should be, but certainly better than it was. Clearly J springs or other higher lifts need much more than just the OME bushings.
Christo has maintained this observation all along. Clearly he is correct and now we have hard numbers to back him up."

So, I believe that the purpose of the bolt on kit is to correct for the additional negative caster caused by the J springs ( or other 3"+ lift) that the OME bushings aren't designed to do.

-H-

That shoud read "caster"

Did I say camber?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom