Bodyside molding paint chip peeling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Local body shop is mixing up some paint for me to try touch-up on these spots. Problem is that when they chip and peel to the size of a dime the surface under the paint is black and my LC is silver so it really shows up. If this doesn't work the guy said that they would completely refinish all the molding for $150 which seems like a good price. Anyone try the touch-up route? If you had them redone what did it cost?

The same thing has happened to my 99 rear bumper. The paint has become brittle and flaked off. Let me know what you find out.

$150 seems like a pretty decent price. My side moulding is fading/oxidizing on the middle stripe pretty bad. Mostly just on drivers side. Attempted to buff w/ rubbing compound & polisher. Nothing I have tried has worked. Would be very interested to know if anybody was able to do anthing to make theirs look better. I guess if nothing else, then repainting would do the trick.

LonghornCruiser said:
$150 seems like a pretty decent price. My side moulding is fading/oxidizing on the middle stripe pretty bad. Mostly just on drivers side. Attempted to buff w/ rubbing compound & polisher. Nothing I have tried has worked. Would be very interested to know if anybody was able to do anthing to make theirs look better. I guess if nothing else, then repainting would do the trick.

I thought $150 seemed cheap and if the touch-up paint doesn't look good I will have it done. Part of my problem is that I don't need it to look perfect. It's a 99 and I consider it a daily driver and it will get dirty and I'm not trying to make it a beauty queen. I just don't like the dime size "black" paint showing through on my Silver LC. I want it to look clean from 10 feet away. Other then these paint chips on the molding it looks like a new LC. I wonder if Toyota has fixed this paint problem in newer LC's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom